Let the backpedalling commence

Remove this Banner Ad

From todays wrap of news stories on the AFL website:

The West Australian also reports that the Dockers now believe that the ‘treatment’ handed out by Port Adelaide in Saturday’s practice match at Subiaco was not as bad as they first thought.

As far as I've heard there've been no reports other than Brogan's.

Hmmmm, what r those grey clouds doing rolling over my teacup ... ? :rolleyes:

Someone really has to make Byron share around his umpires/tribunal gold pass a bit.

Not sure if we're out in the clear yet. Heard something yesterday about the AFL wanting to review the Power's tape of the game on Saturday night. Hopefully the Port video guys cut out any suspect incidents.

Well Connolly and Freo look like absolute tools over this.

They could have taken a good result, having dealt with a fired up Port, but no, they threw that away by ridiculous overstatement about the significance of the win.

Now, after attacking the umpires and whinging for days about how scared they were they come out with "sometimes in the heat of the battle you actually think an incident is a lot worse than it actually is".

Pathetic

Good entertainment value though

Originally posted by Mudholian
Well Connolly and Freo look like absolute tools over this.

They could have taken a good result, having dealt with a fired up Port, but no, they threw that away by ridiculous overstatement about the significance of the win.

Now, after attacking the umpires and whinging for days about how scared they were they come out with "sometimes in the heat of the battle you actually think an incident is a lot worse than it actually is".

Pathetic

I agree that Connolly's outburst wasn't ideal, but to say that he and especially the team look like 'tools' is over the top. There were quite a few high bumps going on and the umpires weren't doing anything to control it, which is what got Connolly's goat.

And why can't the win be seen as significant? Our fairly inexperienced side copped some heavy treatment from a side some tip as premiers this year, got on with the job and ran out big winners. If anything, it would have proved to some of our players what they are capable of. Freo beat Brisbane in a practice match by 1 point last year and that wasn't considered a pivotal point in the club's history because it wasn't played with the same downright vigour of Saturday's match.

Perhaps you're just thankful that for once it isn't your coach being accused of whining.

Originally posted by RogerMellie
I agree that Connolly's outburst wasn't ideal, but to say that he and especially the team look like 'tools' is over the top.

It is inappropriate to say Connolly and his team look like tools. But when you talk about the supporters..............

;)

I agree that Connolly's outburst wasn't ideal, but to say that he and especially the team look like 'tools' is over the top. There were quite a few high bumps going on and the umpires weren't doing anything to control it, which is what got Connolly's goat.

And why can't the win be seen as significant? Our fairly inexperienced side copped some heavy treatment from a side some tip as premiers this year, got on with the job and ran out big winners. If anything, it would have proved to some of our players what they are capable of. Freo beat Brisbane in a practice match by 1 point last year and that wasn't considered a pivotal point in the club's history because it wasn't played with the same downright vigour of Saturday's match.

Perhaps you're just thankful that for once it isn't your coach being accused of whining.

Connolly went on not only at half time but after the match and at successive press conferences and even said he'd tell Geischen "he feared for the safety of his young players" - only to have to send Icke out to do more flip flopping than Nadia Comaneci when he actually calmed down and had a bloody good look at the tape.

You are missing the point about the win. If you rate that as pivotal the pivot must be set very low.

I thought this was pretty amusing and a great job by Mick with his reply about the incident..........

At half-time, Connolly emerged from the coach's box and verbally attacked Port football operations manager Mick Moylan, who was sitting in the dugout wearing headphones, before turning on Fussell, who was having a rest on the boundary line.

The AFL does not allow coaches or captains to approach umpires during the breaks. It is believed Connolly shouted at Moylan: "You tell your blokes to keep their elbows down".

Asked what had brought on the incident, Moylan, who worked at Fremantle last year as football administration manager, said: "I was sitting there doing my job . . . ask Chris Connolly, he did all the talking".

Our side wasn't exactly experienced either given the number of regular players that did not play and others that were back for their first game.........

If you and your club want to think of a trial game as significant go for it but I know I wouldn't be in the same situation..........

Originally posted by dreamkillers
Our side wasn't exactly experienced either
Be fair, every one of our players were experienced with playing at Port Adelaide. It would be dubious to match that experience one for one with a lesser form of football experience such as playing for Freo.

I agree that Connolly's outburst wasn't ideal, but to say that he and especially the team look like 'tools' is over the top.

No Connolly acted like a tool. His players though didn't do anything wrong from what i can see. The supporters well a few of them ARE tools just like at any club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Connolly's outburst worked anyway. Josh Carr has been reported for striking Peter Bell.

Originally posted by nurries
Connolly's outburst worked anyway. Josh Carr has been reported for striking Peter Bell.

How does that help Freo? In fact it probably does the opposite because if Carr is out for the WC game it means WC are more likely to win which in turn could make it harder for Freo to make the finals come the end of the year. Really what advantage is it to Connolly and Freo? Now he/they look like squealers, but i guess if its good enough for the Birdman its good enough for the little fat kid.

I would have thought that the above report had more to do with certain player/s squealing when interviewed by the AFL investigations officer.

Obviously couldn't keep his mouth shut just like his coach.....:rolleyes:

Connolly doesnt give a ****e about Wet Toast. You guys got what you derserved after last years pre season.

Remember Primus stove doing his big dive when Farmer hardly touched him??!?! and Farmer got 2 weeks.

Remember Daniel Haynes being carted from the ground with the top category concussion from an errant elbow (dont remember who....Lade maybe). That kid didnt play footy for 4 weeks.

You guys have short memories now the boots on the other foot (or up your coit).

Connolly doesnt give a ****e about Wet Toast. You guys got what you derserved after last years pre season.

Remember Primus stove doing his big dive when Farmer hardly touched him??!?! and Farmer got 2 weeks.

Remember Daniel Haynes being carted from the ground with the top category concussion from an errant elbow (dont remember who....Lade maybe). That kid didnt play footy for 4 weeks.

You guys have short memories now the boots on the other foot (or up your coit).

:rolleyes:......and we don't give a **** about Freo............looks like we may have a new contender for the stupidist poster on the board.........

come back when the real footy's on and we'll see how you go.........

it was guerra and that was an accident..

heck if everyone was to tell on everyone half the teams wouldnt be playing.

And why can't the win be seen as significant? Our fairly inexperienced side copped some heavy treatment from a side some tip as premiers this year, got on with the job and ran out big winners. If anything, it would have proved to some of our players what they are capable of.

The side we fielded is not tipped as premiers. You add the 10-11 first team players into our side that didnt play, then it will look like the side people are tipping as possible premiers.

In the end Freo missing 8 players beat Port missing 11 players. Hardly ground breaking.

"Port Adelaide coach Mark Willaims vented his frustrations publicly over his team's schedule, that included a trip to Perth to face the Dockers in a practice match, just two weeks before they face the Eagles in round one in the same city."

Diddums...and you call us a bunch of sooks.

Originally posted by Macca19
The side we fielded is not tipped as premiers. You add the 10-11 first team players into our side that didnt play, then it will look like the side people are tipping as possible premiers.

In the end Freo missing 8 players beat Port missing 11 players. Hardly ground breaking.

So there's a depth problem at Port? Obviously Tredrea leaves a big gap, but I would've thought potential premiers could cover the loss of the likes of Hardwick, Schofield, Montgomery and James (all good players) against the lowly Fremantle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back