Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha - Chad & Kane's dad had been leading the goalkicking for most of the year, but big Timmy came bustling through at the business end.

Tim's end to the season was insane. At round 15, Randall Gerlach led Port’s goalscoring with over 40 goals, and Evans was not in the league’s top 20 goalkickers (cutoff at 30 goals). By the end of the 22 round season Evans topped the SANFL goalkicking list with 75 goals, and he was up to 80 goals by the grand final. No spoilers :p

Would we have more chance winning a flag with Polec and Wingard in the team and no Butters, Duursma, Rozee and Burton?

Keeping in mind Duursma and Rozee are in very mediocre form whilst Burton is injured.
If we have Polec and Wingard we still have our first round pick. So we're still going thave Butters, or we trade away other resources with that first to move up and pick Rozee or Ben King (assuming that Bailey Smith did the rumoured Doctor's Cert that I have to stay in Melbourne).

So its more like Polec, Wingard and Butters, or Butters, Duursma, Rozee and Burton.

Last edited:
Would we have more chance winning a flag with Polec and Wingard in the team and no Butters, Duursma, Rozee and Burton?

Keeping in mind Duursma and Rozee are in very mediocre form whilst Burton is injured.

No.

Team cohesion is worth more.

On the other hand, would we be minor Premiers if we still have Polly and Wingard and not the others?
Who knows. And I am happy with the club’s direction.

Wow what a s**t post

I will take the risk in saying that the team is in a far better position 2 years down the track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mick Molloy on The Front Bar said Port should be allowed to wear the prison bar guernsey in the finals series.

He was really only taking the piss out of Collingwood supporters but all publicity is good!

At least they're taking notice.

I'd add Howard to that list of outs, and it's still absolutely the current lot. Duursma is building nicely in time for finals. Rozee is clearly playing a bit injured IMO but he is still dangerous.

Whatever happened to Wingard to ruin his career is regretable and there were certainly failings on the part of the club there, but making a big difficult decision on him was wildly ballsy on the part of the list management team and they should be commended for that.

Polec just wanted too much money for a player of his calibre and we didn't flinch. He made it very easy to avoid flinching with his demands but still we held our nerve well.

Howard was one I was worried about given our lack of height in defence. What has rescued us there is that McKenzie found some form that nobody could have predicted. Arguably Lienert as well.

Tim's end to the season was insane. At round 15, Randall Gerlach led Port’s goalscoring with over 40 goals, and Evans was not in the league’s top 20 goalkickers (cutoff at 30 goals). By the end of the 22 round season Evans topped the SANFL goalkicking list with 75 goals, and he was up to 80 goals by the grand final. No spoilers :p
I went to the grand final with a school friend and we discussed before the game how many goals Tim Evans would kick. I predicted 6 and my mate predicted 8. In the end, Tim split the difference - a fair effort considering he was concussed for much of the game thanks to that Phillis prick.

Imagine going to any game now and expecting someone to kick 6-8 goals.

6-8 goals will probably be a good prediction for the total score of the winning team in this year's grand final.

Nah.

As I was watching the Collingwood game, I got the feeling that Wingard wouldn't have been able to maintain the 4 quarter intensity required across the match. Maybe in his early years but not now. Polec for all his foot skills is a one-way runner. While we had players like Marshall that were poor at times, the difference is that Marshall never stopped running and putting in the effort. I can't say the same for Polec and Wingard. Butters and Duursma alone offer more as second year players and anything we get out of Rozee and Burton is pure bonus.

As harsh as it may sound, a big reason why we were able to finish top is because Wingard and Polec were moved on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back