Player Watch Liam Holt-Fitz (Academy Prospect)

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe Assumption is in the Kilmore area? He'd then fall under the Calder Cannons zone - so, whoever gets him first between Essendon and North Melbourne! Thankfully that's not the case.

is MGS in our Vic Zone?

Thats right but my point is he is pimarily a Barkly product. Surly you cant relocate just prior to draft to go where you want. Lets say he moved to kilmore when hes 3 weeks off being drafted.....what zone is he from?

Very Good Question what be the Cut-Off?

Sorry to butt in - saw the thread, thought I'd contribute. Liam Holt-Fitz is a mid-sized forward who gets up the ground and can really use this speed and athleticism to his advantage. He trained at Collingwood briefly as part of the Flying Boomerangs program that Collingwood hosts every year, and was a standout from reports.

He won the Michael Long Medal, which was voted by his peers for his dedication, hard work, and training standards during his time with the Boomerangs.

He will play for Oakleigh Chargers in the U16 pathway program this year (among school footy commitments) as he has just enrolled at Melbourne Grammar Yr 10. (Won't be draft-eligible until 2018).

Other private schools who fall under Collingwood's zone (which also fall in the Chargers zone) include Carey Grammar, Camberwell Grammar, De La Salle, St Kevins, Wesley College, Calufield Grammar, Trinity College and Scotch College. Oakleigh also have access to Kew Comments - who are one of the most prolific junior clubs in the state.

I'd say Collingwood did pretty damn well getting the Chargers as their aligned TAC Cup for this type of zoning.

Great to hear he has come down to live in Victoria already

Melbourne Grammar is one of the top schools in Australia

Sorry to butt in - saw the thread, thought I'd contribute. Liam Holt-Fitz is a mid-sized forward who gets up the ground and can really use this speed and athleticism to his advantage. He trained at Collingwood briefly as part of the Flying Boomerangs program that Collingwood hosts every year, and was a standout from reports.

He won the Michael Long Medal, which was voted by his peers for his dedication, hard work, and training standards during his time with the Boomerangs.

He will play for Oakleigh Chargers in the U16 pathway program this year (among school footy commitments) as he has just enrolled at Melbourne Grammar Yr 10. (Won't be draft-eligible until 2018).

Other private schools who fall under Collingwood's zone (which also fall in the Chargers zone) include Carey Grammar, Camberwell Grammar, De La Salle, St Kevins, Wesley College, Calufield Grammar, Trinity College and Scotch College. Oakleigh also have access to Kew Comments - who are one of the most prolific junior clubs in the state.

I'd say Collingwood did pretty damn well getting the Chargers as their aligned TAC Cup for this type of zoning.

Kew Comets*

But realistically how many elite level indigenous and multicultural kids go to these very expensive private schools...

Cyril Rioli went to Scotch College on a scholarship but I imagine clubs would scream blue murder now if we tried to pull that swifty and nabbed a kid from their zone...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kew Comets*

But realistically how many elite level indigenous and multicultural kids go to these very expensive private schools...

Cyril Rioli went to Scotch College on a scholarship but I imagine clubs would scream blue murder now if we tried to pull that swifty and nabbed a kid from their zone...

Plenty of multicultural kids, few indigenous. Maybe we can get a few of the international students? :p

Liam Jones, Elijah Edwards (part of our previous scholarship program), one of Rioli's brothers and a couple of others are some other indigenous footy players to go to Scotch the last few years alongside Cyril, but yeah who knows in regards to that ruling.

Last edited:
Plenty of multicultural kids, few indigenous. Maybe we can get a few of the international students? :p

Liam Jones, Elijah Edwards (part of our previous scholarship program), one of Rioli's brothers and a couple of others are some other indigenous footy players to go to Scotch the last few years alongside Rioli, but yeah who knows in regards to that ruling.

Would the Indigenous Boys be aligned to there Zone where they came from and not the School they go to?

Would the Indigenous Boys be aligned to there Zone where they came from and not the School they go to?

No clue. Because this is an 'academy' of sorts I guess if you jumped the gun and got in early, at say 13 or 14 and had them signed to your academy in Oakleigh (and subsequently moved into the region) even though they were from woop-woop then perhaps it'd work out. But it seems to me like the AFL would want to see proof that you've done your due diligence in bringing them into the system and therefore 'poaching' shouldn't work unless a player has flown under the radar until relatively close to the draft. I don't see how a player once on an academy list could then be pushed to another academy list unless some kind of paperwork was signed by both clubs and approved by the AFL.

No clue. Because this is an 'academy' of sorts I guess if you jumped the gun and got in early, at say 13 or 14 and had them signed to your academy in Oakleigh (and subsequently moved into the region) even though they were from woop-woop then perhaps it'd work out. But it seems to me like the AFL would want to see proof that you've done your due diligence in bringing them into the system and therefore 'poaching' shouldn't work unless a player has flown under the radar until relatively close to the draft. I don't see how a player once on an academy list could then be pushed to another academy list unless some kind of paperwork was signed by both clubs and approved by the AFL.

Hopefully the AFL give us more Info tomorrow or soon.

As it be easy to get Kids from NT and WA to go to a Private School in the Chargers Zone and Play for the Chargers so we would have 1st go on them BUT I doubt that how it would work

Last edited:
My understanding, which admittedly is as sketchy as every other mofo here, is that we can pick up players from our zones which are not already part of the pathway. So would this boy be accessible to us or simply go into the national draft? Or go into the draft if he went through a feeder pathway but with a 20% discount because he derived from Barkly?

My understanding, which admittedly is as sketchy as every other mofo here, is that we can pick up players from our zones which are not already part of the pathway. So would this boy be accessible to us or simply go into the national draft? Or go into the draft if he went through a feeder pathway but with a 20% discount because he derived from Barkly?

He is a Barkley boy so if we don't have access to him then we may as not even invest a single dime into this academy

Thats right but my point is he is pimarily a Barkly product. Surly you cant relocate just prior to draft to go where you want. Lets say he moved to kilmore when hes 3 weeks off being drafted.....what zone is he from?

He's a 15 year-old lad, so roughly about the same age as Cyril when he relocated. When it comes to school football, you can't 'join' a team/school prior to the draft.

1 - the school football season is over
2 - you have to be enrolled with that school from the start of the year

Besides, Barkley falls under Collingwood's NT zone. Which, to be fair - isn't exactly a 'high productive' area for talent that's 'made it'. We lose out in terms of NT zone quality, because we've received quite a big one in metropolitan Melbourne - particularly from the private schools. Regardless, we all know what Eddie is like, if he gets even a sniff that there's a kid he can bring into our 'zone' that other clubs haven't pursued yet, he'll do it, and he'll get it done quietly.

Just remember, this doesn't stop recruiters looking at other zones for players who've been overlooked ...

The reasons for bringing this kid (legitimately) to Melbourne, would purely be so they can keep a closer eye on him, track his development and allow him to utilise resources and facilities.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back