• Yes

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

R

Rocco Jones

I know it's not too intelligent to say this in front of doggies fan but I think that we should not play Libba unless someone like Westy is injured. We have heaps of young guys like Murphy, Giansiracusa, Alvey and McMahon who deserve a go in the middle. Not only are these guys better for the future, I also think they are better for the present.

I think he is until the others make compelling cases. They need to earn the right to play ahead of him and they haven't yet. For the last 2 years I was of the view that we couldn't afford Libba and Romero on at the same time but we don't have that problem now.

I'd have Libba on the bench. Murphy and Guido are definite starters. Alvey and McMahon need to shine for Werribee before they get in my best 22.

Im not going to vote in this poll, nor am I going to view the results. Libber is certainly passed his peak, but he is still a battler. He has done something that no other Bulldog in our list have done, thats to win a brownlow. He is probably the 3rd best player in our side for the whole career of players. Grant and West the only 2 ahead of him. He is still a smart player, but I wouldnt start him in our 18, but or starting 22 (24) I would probably have him in!

K9-54 is right. Without Romero in the side Libba must stay on.

He is still one of our best when the ball is on the ground and bodies are flying all over the place.

IMO he is easily in our best 22. He still gets the ball and his defensive pressure is incredible. He came ninth in our best and fairest last year despite missing 5 matches. That is a great effort, at this stage he is better then the young players mentioned.
We do not lack running midfielders, we have Johnno and Browny for starters, we do lack in ad under types. Apart from Libber and Westy we have no one, Alvey, Murphy, Guido and MacMahon are all runners, not in and unders. Its no good having all these runners if there is no one to give them the ball, thats what Libber does.
But in saying this it is worrying when opposition coaches move Libbers man forward, it scares me when Libber is one out in the backline.

Originally posted by Rocco Jones
I know it's not too intelligent to say this in front of doggies fan but I think that we should not play Libba unless someone like Westy is injured. We have heaps of young guys like Murphy, Giansiracusa, Alvey and McMahon who deserve a go in the middle. Not only are these guys better for the future, I also think they are better for the present.

Last year Libba beat all 4 of those guys in the B and F and right now Libba is a better player than at the very least 2 of those 4 mentioned. Its all well and good to play the young kids, but not at the expense of someone like Libba.

I might be biased, because he's possibly my favourite player of all time, but I think he should be a walk up starter. Those 4 guys all need someone to get in there and do the hard stuff and get the ball out to them and I think Libba can still do that. He can also shut down the oppositions best midfielder

Originally posted by jim440
Rocco,

You question whether Libba should be in the side while your sig raves about James.

You gotta start watching the footy more closely.

Obivously the James thing is a bit of a joke.

Hey why I agree, why not just play Libba? We should just choose a team on who is most pouplar, it doesn't matter if we win or lose. I mean that's the Bulldog way isn't it?
Reservior Dog, you say where have I been the last 10 years. Libba was great, but he isn't anymore. Reservior I don't know if you know this but players have to retire one day.
Anyway I'd like to apologise for airing an opinion.

Re: Re: Libba in our best 22?

Originally posted by The_Flying_Egg

Last year Libba beat all 4 of those guys in the B and F and right now Libba is a better player than at the very least 2 of those 4 mentioned. Its all well and good to play the young kids, but not at the expense of someone like Libba.

I might be biased, because he's possibly my favourite player of all time, but I think he should be a walk up starter. Those 4 guys all need someone to get in there and do the hard stuff and get the ball out to them and I think Libba can still do that. He can also shut down the oppositions best midfielder

There is your answer then. If the guy is still performing like that, why would you think off not playing him. Forget his age and all that crap, if he keeps playing well it's a non issue. As an opposition supporter I would be pleased to see him go, because Footscray lack presence in a pack without him, but when he is there he can do things that make your players stand a bit taller.

Libba is the epitome of a player that can influence a game away from a useless stats sheet.

Originally posted by Rocco Jones
Obivously the James thing is a bit of a joke.

Hey why I agree, why not just play Libba? We should just choose a team on who is most pouplar, it doesn't matter if we win or lose. I mean that's the Bulldog way isn't it?
Reservior Dog, you say where have I been the last 10 years. Libba was great, but he isn't anymore. Reservior I don't know if you know this but players have to retire one day.
Anyway I'd like to apologise for airing an opinion.

I absolutely love this response!

IMO if the young guys are playing well, there is no room for Libba in the 22.

IMO young guys are inconsistent by nature.

IMO Libba will give you a very even performance. ie not suffer from inconsistency.

Therefore, IMO Libba will struggle to keep himself out of the twos at some stage. But as you can almost guarentee a certain level of performance from him, something you don't have wth the likes of Gilbee, Birss etc, he will play the vast majority of games.

Did you see the game against essendon? we were being killed around the ball, and our defensive efforts were crap accross the board. Partly that was due to Primus killing Darcey, and partly dur to lack of grunt on the ball. Libba did some great things when he came on, and was part of the turnaround that saw us become competitive.

I would rotate Libba from the bench through the middle and through the forward pocket until such time as guys like Murph, Robbo and Brown can show they can hit the ball like they should. None of those guys are any lighter than Westy, so theres no physical reason for them to be soft at the ball -- its between the ears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Libba is still doing his best and getting more of the ball than the younger players theres no reason why he shouldnt be in our best side especially if he is doing better than the other players.

Back