Opinion Lions list analysis, Strengths, weaknesses, targets for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Anything he's shown has been really only a glimpse. Needs to improve every aspect of his game. His strength is in the contest but even there he's not really a dominant force yet. He needs cover the ground better and get his hands on the footy more often. It probably needs to start with putting together a series of really dominant Reserves performances. If he can do that, then chances are a midfield spot will open up at some point in the year.

Dayne Zorko- one of the few players on our list that continued to play at an A grade to elite level during Leppas tenure. provides spark, run and intensity. has played to the best of his ability during his career, only needs to improve slightly on what he has already displayed to be an AA standard player.

Jared Jansen- after a few seasons at geelong and now a second with us this year it's a last chance season for Jared to make it at AFL level, inside bull extractor type who can float forward and kick a goal. his running during the training sessions i have seen has been outstanding. needs to get more of the ball and improve his disposal by foot.

17 Claye Beams

Strengths: kicking
Weakness: Injury prone
Target for 2017: Stay healthy get a good run at it and show that he can live up to his potential.

Does anyone remember round 1 2015 v Pies when we were alk excited about D Beams debut for us and it was Claye that was the dominant Beams that night? Be great if he can get back to his best. This year might be his last chance.

Also haven't heard much about him during preseason any updates as to how he is going?

Claye Beams- agree with m127s concise summation of Claye although i would add a lack of speed to his weaknesses list. would like to see him tried on the forward/wing and utilise that good kicking targeting up forwards.

mikey127 he has been with the rehab group, doing lots of laps and looks to have been running very freely.

Claye Beams- agree with m127s concise summation of Claye although i would add a lack of speed to his weaknesses list. would like to see him tried on the forward/wing and utilise that good kicking targeting up forwards.

mikey127 he has been with the rehab group, doing lots of laps and looks to have been running very freely.
Great point Jason. I was thinking high half forward.

17 Claye Beams

Strengths: kicking
Weakness: Injury prone
Target for 2017: Stay healthy get a good run at it and show that he can live up to his potential.

Does anyone remember round 1 2015 v Pies when we were alk excited about D Beams debut for us and it was Claye that was the dominant Beams that night? Be great if he can get back to his best. This year might be his last chance.

Also haven't heard much about him during preseason any updates as to how he is going?

I have a bad feeling Claye will end up in the Bartlett/other category of players who just had too many injuries - not necessarily just cruelling their chances of playing senior games, but also because their strengths ended up fundamentally eroded due to the injuries leaving a borderline AFL player if that.

Claye started his career forward and looked really promising, before both injury and positional chances began. He was moved down back due to his kicking, but i have always thought he would be best utilized as a high half forward.
He has certainly lost a yard or 2 of pace over the years and lost agility so therefore in the back pocket may be out manouvered quite easily.
I feel that the team may be in a position now where if he is not at his best then he will be left lingering in the 2's. And fighting for his career.

Leaving aside the injury and continuity issues, there's a bit of an issue with how much ball he gets. He's not having consistent 20 possession games like you'd expect a flanker to be racking up. His productive games are not all that regular. Granted, he was given defensive roles at times last year but I think we'd like a bit more than the 10-12 touches he routinely gets.

I definitely agree that he looked limited in his movement last year. Unfortunately, while I think he has some talent, I don't think his talent is so good that he can be below average athletically.

I was surprised to see that he's now 25yo. We can't afford to be any more patient.

I think by the end of this year Claye will have had every opportunity to show what he can do. Even if he stays healthy his best now would I think leave him on the fringes and at 25 that probably means his card is marked. I expect he will be depth this year.

NB- could a mod correct the spelling of Analysis, in the topic heading, it is ruining an otherwise top class thread.

18. Nick Robertson
Strengths: Seems to have a fantastic attitude and a real team focused attitude
Weaknesses: Disposal
Target for 2017: needs to show he is worth persisting with.

I really hope Nick makes it. I like the kid and we all know his dad is a top bloke. I really think Fagan needs to tell him that he is just going to play him for 6 weeks. Leppa seemed to play him for a couple of weeks then drop him. Just give him a clean run at it for 6 weeks without the fear of being dropped.

Great point Jason. I was thinking high half forward.
Trouble is we seem to have half a team of high half forwards. I also think his lack of speed will be shown up at hhf, tough one, he has talent but his body isnt letting him fulfill it.

18. Nick Robertson
Strengths: Seems to have a fantastic attitude and a real team focused attitude
Weaknesses: Disposal
Target for 2017: needs to show he is worth persisting with.

I really hope Nick makes it. I like the kid and we all know his dad is a top bloke. I really think Fagan needs to tell him that he is just going to play him for 6 weeks. Leppa seemed to play him for a couple of weeks then drop him. Just give him a clean run at it for 6 weeks without the fear of being dropped.
Continuity will be key for Nick, i couldnt figure out why when half the team last year looked disinterested that Nick couldnt get a game. Hopefully Fagan rates him and Nick can pull it all together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbo: can't see him being delisted unless he has a terrible season (which I doubt he will). He has value to our team. At the very worst he is a solid leader in the Neafl. At best, we don't know. I think he's been trialled in several positions and hasn't really had the chance to get good at ONE position. Personally, I saw a lot of potential in Nick playing off a forward flank. He is a solid mark/kick and could use his strength and fitness to his advantage.

I think by the end of this year Claye will have had every opportunity to show what he can do. Even if he stays healthy his best now would I think leave him on the fringes and at 25 that probably means his card is marked. I expect he will be depth this year.

NB- could a mod correct the spelling of Analysis, in the topic heading, it is ruining an otherwise top class thread.
Sorry mate all fixed.

Nick Robertson- as m127 says a great attitude and desire for every single contest and leadership potential there as well. everyone knows that his disposal lets him down at times. IMO he second guesses himself too much instead of having confidence in his first option. i am a fan of Nicks so have spent a bit of time paying close attention to him live at the gabba, he has good options but just holds on that split second too long and gets tackled/rushed. i see him running up and down the wing being a link man out of D50 into F50, if that doesn't work out i would like him to be given a go as our big bodied inside mid that handballs it out and then spreads at intensity to be an option further afield.

Robbo: can't see him being delisted unless he has a terrible season (which I doubt he will). He has value to our team. At the very worst he is a solid leader in the Neafl. At best, we don't know. I think he's been trialled in several positions and hasn't really had the chance to get good at ONE position. Personally, I saw a lot of potential in Nick playing off a forward flank. He is a solid mark/kick and could use his strength and fitness to his advantage.

If you look at the list of uncontracted players he's definitely a chance to be delisted.

Tom Rockliff - could be gone
Nicholas Robertson
Michael Close - injuries and younger KPFs have leap frogged him
Daniel McStay - will be offered
Tom Cutler - ditto
Claye Beams - struggling
Jonathan Freeman - struggling
Ryan Harwood - needs to find consistency but has shown he's capable
Jarrad Jansen - struggling
Josh Schache - will be offered
Ben Keays - will be offered
Josh Clayton - struggling

I think Clayton, Jansen and C Beams are more likely to be delisted but he sits with Freeman, Harwood and Close as possibles. Obviously a long way to go.

Last edited:
I love the physicality of Nick's game. His willingness to get to a contest and put his body in when he gets there. I don't get the impression he is hot headed with it.

He often appears to panic with the ball in hand though, or at least in his disposal, running himself into trouble and having to take a poor option or executing poorly. I'd love him to get a run of 6 or 8 straight and see how he goes. I think he is a player that will benefit from a clear indication of what our game plan is and what is expected of him aspart of that game plan, as it will mean he can 'practice' his decision making and have to think less about it on game day.

Agreed matwt73. I don't think it is disposal so much "as he appears to panic". He needs to have more confidence in his instincts and go with the first option. I guess he is the "Struggling" player most supporters would want to see offered another contract. Very hard not to like his attitude, both professional and showing physical courage/aggression.

Agreed matwt73. I don't think it is disposal so much "as he appears to panic". He needs to have more confidence in his instincts and go with the first option. I guess he is the "Struggling" player most supporters would want to see offered another contract. Very hard not to like his attitude, both professional and showing physical courage/aggression.
Nick reminds me a bit of Robbie Copeland - never a star and most opposition supporters wouldn't know who I am talking about. Both tough as teak and when we put it all together Bushy was an integral part of the success.
I see Nick the same way-gives us much needed starch and absolutely never backs down.
When we start to gel, we'll be glad we kept him on.

19. Josh Clayton
Strength: Seems to be a good runner
Weakness: Hard to know not having seen much of him but not sure what position he fits into
Target for 2017: I reckon be our best NEAFL player and play 6+ games in seniors would be a good step forward.

His weakness would be a lack of a strength.

Hard to see what separates Clayton from anybody else in the AFL.

His weakness would be a lack of a strength.

Hard to see what separates Clayton from anybody else in the AFL.
Clayton the player you have when you are not having a player....wow, that came out wrong.

I don't have high hopes for Clayton but I would really like to be proven wrong. Like a lot of our guys, he really needs to become a bigger factor in games. He just doesn't impact the play often enough. That probably starts in the Reserves. Ideally this is the year that a few of our young blokes really start to own the NEAFL and a third year high half forward type should really be averaging 20 touches and a goal or two a game at that level. If he can do that consistently, he should warrant another look at senior level. Then he needs to show something at that level if he is going to secure another contract.

I think my issue is that I see several guys on our list who of a similar style. Bell, Mayes (assuming he goes forward) and Dawson are a few in particular who might have first dibs on the taller high half forward role. We then have a few smaller blokes who might rotate through there like Christensen, Taylor, McCluggage and Zorko. Then we've just recruited a few outside running types who will hopefully push for senior footy at some point down the track. If you are an iffy long term proposition and there are a bunch of guys competing with you for a spot, you'd want to make sure you are at the forefront of selection consideration by the end of the year.

Still, he is only young and only in his third year. It certainly is not too late to pop up as a viable long term option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back