Opinion Lions list analysis, Strengths, weaknesses, targets for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hey guys thought now that we have our full list we should do a list analaysis on each player like we have done in previous season.

What is each players Strength?
What is there weakness they need to work on?
What should there target be in 2017?

We'll do players in numerical order and do a player each day, maybe a break for Christmas day. If I forget each day feel free to move on to the next player.

#1 Ben Keays

my thoughts

Strength: Great defensive pressure in the forward line
Weaknesses: needs to get a bit more of the ball
Targets for 2017: Consolidate a place in the starting 22 (hopefully with a full list) and try and get a little bit more of the footy

#1 Ben Keays

my thoughts

Targets for 2017: Consolidate a place in the starting 22 (hopefully with a full list) and try and get a little bit more of the footy
Needs to do a lot of work on his speed during the pre-season. Get those fast twitch fibres up and running.
Lots of sprints and repeat sprints.

#1 Ben Keays

my thoughts

Good idea for a post by the way.

Ben Keays = Big fan. Just having a quick look at his stats. That game against Sydney is a great example. Only 11 disposals but heaps of contested possessions and tackles. Why did we look so good that day? Our pressure and tackling. Keeping it in the forward line. His defensive pressure in the forward line makes up for him probably not being the most dynamic in the world on the attacking side. In fact his contested possessions are more than his uncontested which is a great sign, he is willing to fight for the ball! That being said, he had a number of goal assists and horrendous goal kicking so it's not as bad as it looks. By the end of 2017 I hope he has secured a spot in the first 18.

Keays is a distributor of the footy. He needs to develop a phenomenal running capacity and real strength over the contest to make it at AFL level long term. He has a number of deficiencies with his lack of pace and penetration by foot. I am hoping he can become a Scott West type, may end up becoming a run with player over the next couple of years. Endeavour and passion cannot be questioned.

West is a good analogy.

I think Keays, like a few of our guys, shows the difference between being able to run a good beep test or time trial and having "footy fitness". Real endurance in a football sense includes the ability to take the hits and not slow down, lay effective tackles all game and put in repeat efforts for 4 quarters.

Keays is never going to make it if he is forced to play as a forward. He doesn't have the pace or the awareness around goals. He also does not get to use his one paced endurance to full effect. He has a chance if he is played through the midfield where he can run and rack up the disposals.
What's the point of racking up the disposals when you can't kick over a jam tin.

It's a worry that Keays' weaknesses are so massive that it may not be compensated by his workrate and willingness to do the tough stuff. He was very poor this year in 90% of his games playing the Sam Sheldon defensive forward role. He'll get time to develop but at this stage I'd say it's 50:50 that he'll have a 10 year AFL career and there is a spot in our team for him to play a role similar to Priddis.

I think over time there is no reason why he cant play a role very similar to Rocky.
He doesnt have that explosive pace and cant really break the lines as a result. But he is very good, clean and very quick with his hands in the contest, (dare i say) similar to Simon Black. That is where his strength lies, in and around the contest, get the handballs out to the guys with pace on the outside. He is by no means a forward.

I think over time there is no reason why he cant play a role very similar to Rocky.
He doesnt have that explosive pace and cant really break the lines as a result. But he is very good, clean and very quick with his hands in the contest, (dare i say) similar to Simon Black. That is where his strength lies, in and around the contest, get the handballs out to the guys with pace on the outside. He is by no means a forward.

Is he? We didn't see it this year.

Ben is in a really tough position. The effort is there when he plays forward but it's clear he is best suited to an inside mid/accumulator role (or a first phase player, as the club likes to call them). Hopefully he can at least push his way into the second or third mid rotation, because I don't think he'll have much success purely as a forward with limited possessions, despite his solid pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he? We didn't see it this year.
That's because he was very rarely given the opportunity around the ball. I saw enough to believe that that is where he is at his best.
1st part of the year in the 2's next year, get his hands on the ball in the middle of the ground, build some confidence and we will see a much better Ben Keays when he gets his chance.

That's because he was very rarely given the opportunity around the ball. I saw enough to believe that that is where he is at his best.
1st part of the year in the 2's next year, get his hands on the ball in the middle of the ground, build some confidence and we will see a much better Ben Keays when he gets his chance.
I think we all need to be aware that 2016 was Bens first year of footy and that the team he played in often brought the ball into the forward line rushed unlike the better teams in the comp. Pretty tough initiation for ALL the new draftee's of 2016 and I believe 2017 will bring a more cohesive team which should help Ben & the other new boys a lot. The issue with Ben playing more time in the midfield in 2017 is that he now has significantly more team mates labelled mids to compete with for a spot there. Versatility will be a big advantage for him to hold a regular spot in the 22 in 2017. (wherever that may be)

Agree with a few here in Keays in that his best position is not as a defensive forward. When I watched him in the reserves he dominated as a high possession winning midfielder. He won clearence after clearence and showed an ability to mix it with much more senior players. He has a bit of a strut about him and seems happy to work hard both on the training track and on the field. I wouldnt be writing him off just yet, he is still a kid.

I've got Harwood in my starting line up.Prepared to take the game on out of the back line,decent user of the ball but can run himself into trouble (not always his fault with lack of options presenting)Love his hardness and attack on the ball and man,a real athlete who needs his body to hold up in 2017 for him to have his best year to date.

Huge year for Harwood, needs to be fit all year, he reads the play well, has speed and is capable of making hurting the opposition with his foot skills out of the backline. Has troubles with concentration and multiple defensive efforts, but to be honest, it is too hard to be critical of anyone in our backline in the last 2 seasons.

Harwood has slowly been improving his footskills over the last few years and now had a pretty decent low stab kick. He is still prone to a clanger or two each game which takes attention away from his otherwise pretty solid skills. Hopefully the improvement continues and he starts to eliminate the more costly mistakes from his game.

Where I really rate him is with the ball on the ground. He is excellent below the knees and the ability to collect cleanly and go sets him apart from most other defenders. He is not one to fumble with the ball on the ground and this reduces the pressure that he is put under.

Harwood has played most of his career as a onballer and is really still learning his defensive role. Hopefully with another preseason behind him he can improve his positioning and general football smarts at the back.

I wonder if similar to Greeny he's unable to get to the fitness level required to play as a midfield or at least have a run on the ball occasionally.

Harwood has slowly been improving his footskills over the last few years and now had a pretty decent low stab kick. He is still prone to a clanger or two each game which takes attention away from his otherwise pretty solid skills. Hopefully the improvement continues and he starts to eliminate the more costly mistakes from his game.

Where I really rate him is with the ball on the ground. He is excellent below the knees and the ability to collect cleanly and go sets him apart from most other defenders. He is not one to fumble with the ball on the ground and this reduces the pressure that he is put under.

Harwood has played most of his career as a onballer and is really still learning his defensive role. Hopefully with another preseason behind him he can improve his positioning and general football smarts at the back.
I was going to write my on post on Harwood but Quigley has nailed it. No need for me to add anything apart from hoping he can stay fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back