Preview Lions v Suns Sunday 5th May @ 7.10 pm The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Zorks does really well when playing back is keeping speed on the ball. Makes decisions as though he has already made the decision before he gets the ball sometimes, which really helps to create some much needed drive. Unlike pretty much all of our other back except maybe Lester and Wilmot, but he more often than not just blazes away rather than hitting a shorter option.
It was the worst decision to start him forward in the last game imo.
To me, he needs to stay back for the rest of the year.
If we need to keep Answerth in the team which I am happy to do, I would put him on the wing as opposed to forward in replace of AHChee.
AhChee is a perfect sub when he is back fit imo.

While I agree with what Zorko brings, we are just prolonging the issue of Keidean or bust in my view. Zorko may retire at the end of this season, Keidean may not be ready coming back from an ACL.

My view is we should debut Brain, stick him in the back half and let him take all kick ins for the rest of the year. If he builds up confidence and gets used to the AFL pace then we have a handy double act in terms of rebound/sharp kicks whenever Coleman returns in 2025.

I like what Zorko can do while taking just 2 steps but we need to look beyond him if we want to set ourselves up properly for 2025.

For the more serious ressie watchers.

Does Reville have the ability to play meaningful minutes in the midfield at senior level? Do we think that’ll be his role in the team?
On VFL form he does.
I hope he takes the majority of Baileys usual minutes.
A big step up from VFL pace.
He gets his chance Sunday and let's hope he can make the most of the opportunity.

It would be nice if The Lions could debut a player that demanded to be selected the rest of the year.
After Reville we still have 7 yet to debut from our list.
5 players over 190 cm and 2 at 184cm.

On VFL form he does.
I hope he takes the majority of Baileys usual minutes.
A big step up from VFL pace.
He gets his chance Sunday and let's hope he can make the most of the opportunity.

It would be nice if The Lions could debut a player that demanded to be selected the rest of the year.
After Reville we still have 7 yet to debut from our list.
5 players over 190 cm and 2 at 184cm.
The first time I saw Bruce I got Kiddy vibes. Let's see.

I think we'll win this game easily. Put too much in over the last 5 years to just let it slip away.

You play hipwood enough he'll eventually beat up a s**t team
He's been poor but how often do your key forwards play well when you spend long periods of the game getting outrun and outscored ?

I think people's expectations of Hipwood are too high for what his capacities are. He's a real trier imo with skill deficiencies but is very tall and can look good when things come off.

I'm not saying dropping him or trying a new position is a terrible idea but overall most people are too hard on him.

I want to agree with you because I don't want to see you bullied off this blog.

But I agree with some of the things you say anyway.
I actually block a lot of people and I've never felt bullied, because our Mods do a good job. I've got a lot of time for dlanod, which is why I always make sure to do a couple of 'Previews' through the season. A few years ago during the 'Aker Wars' I had some posts taken down, but that's pretty much it. I actually haven't had a single infraction / suspension on our board in 16 years and only one ever, when I went onto the Carlton board and called out Chris Judd for his Kung Fu Pressure Point Outrage many years ago.

Naturally there are posters like yourself who are standouts when it comes to understanding our ever evolving game, but there are plenty of others, actually too many to mention, who also get what I tend to point out. I've met all sorts of characters in my 55+ years following VFL / AFL and had plenty of disagreements, in person and on line. The gratifying thing is that more often than not, circumstances have tended to bear out my take on things.

The best thing about Australian Rules Football, which has died out in these corporate times, is the concept of the 'voice in the outer' or the 'wag in the outer.' I know you will be familiar with this concept. It would be great at a tense match as a kid when someone in the crowd would scream something out and everyone in the vicinity would bust up laughing. This is part of the 'Old Australia' that we have lost or are at risk of forgetting. It is best exemplified in another sport by the famous Australian cricket supporter, 'Yabba' who would berate English touring players, most notably during the Bodyline Series of 1932-1933. His shout out to English Captain Douglas Jardine, “Leave our flies alone. They’re the only friends you’ve got here” still ranks in my mind as one of the greatest pieces of barracking of all time.

Roy and HG, the Coodabeen Champions and back in the day, Punter to Punter, have all tapped into the humorous possibilities of sport. It is supposed to be a bit of fun. There is a script to most of it too that is older than you and me. At present, with a 2-5 win rate, the tendency is to reach for 'sack the coach', 'he's got no Plan B', 'drop a few blokes' and 'play the kids' and in that respect, people like me haven't had to wait too long for the "serious" football pundits and ex-players like Paul Roos, Joel Selwood, Jason Akermanis, Matthew Lloyd, everyone on FOX FOOTY and Kane Cornes to get on board.

Last edited:
So poor form continues to be rewarded ? You could guess the outs even before the game finished last week.
Absolutely you could, or shortly thereafter. This was me in post #33 in the unofficial changes thread on April 26th.

“The Football Gods are sending a message. They are saying that this ‘changes’ thread is redundant. The only changes ever made by Fagan relate to replacing injured players and dropping whipping boys. They say Tunstill, Fort and Lohmann should be nervous, while Hipwood and Gardiner will get MULLIGANS.”

I actually block a lot of people and I've never felt bullied, because our Mods do a good job. I've got a lot of time for dlanod, which is why I always make sure to do a couple of 'Previews' through the season. A few years ago during the 'Aker Wars' I had some posts taken down, but that's pretty much it. I actually haven't had a single infraction on our board in 16 years and only one ever, when I went onto the Carlton board and called out Chris Judd for his Kung Fu Pressure Point Outrage many years ago.

Naturally there are posters like yourself who are standouts when it comes to understanding our ever evolving game, but there are plenty of others, actually too many to mention, who also get what I tend to point out. I've met all sorts of characters in my 55+ years following VFL / AFL and had plenty of disagreements, in person and on line. The gratifying thing is that more often than not, circumstances have tended to bear out my take on things.

The best thing about Australian Rules Football, which has died out in these corporate times, is the concept of the 'voice in the outer' or the 'wag in the outer.' I know you will be familiar with this concept. It would be great at a tense match as a kid when someone in the crowd would scream something out and everyone in the vicinity would bust up laughing. This is part of the 'Old Australia' that we have lost or are at risk of forgetting. It is best exemplified in another sport by the famous Australian cricket supporter, 'Yabba' who would berate English touring players, most notably during the Bodyline Series of 1932-1933. His shout out to English Captain Douglas Jardine, “Leave our flies alone. They’re the only friends you’ve got here” still ranks in my mind as one of the greatest piece of barracking of all time.

Roy and HG, the Coodabeen Champions and back in the day, Punter to Punter have all tapped into the humerous possibilities of sport. It is supposed to be a bit of fun. There is a script to most of it too that is older than you and me. At present, with a 2-5 win rate, the tendency is to reach for 'sack the coach', 'he's got no Plan B', 'drop a few blokes' and 'play the kids' and in that respect, people like me haven't had to wait too long for the "serious" football pundits and ex-players like Paul Roos, Jason Akermanis, Matthew Lloyd, everyone on FOX FOOTY and Kane Cornes to get on board.
I actually block a lot of people and I've never felt bullied, because our Mods do a good job. I've got a lot of time for dlanod, which is why I always make sure to do a couple of 'Previews' through the season. A few years ago during the 'Aker Wars' I had some posts taken down, but that's pretty much it. I actually haven't had a single infraction on our board in 16 years and only one ever, when I went onto the Carlton board and called out Chris Judd for his Kung Fu Pressure Point Outrage many years ago.

The best thing about Australian Rules Football, which has died out in these corporate times, is the concept of the 'voice in the outer' or the 'wag in the outer.' I know you will be familiar with this concept. It would be great at a tense match as a kid when someone in the crowd would scream something out and everyone in the vicinity would bust up laughing. This is part of the 'Old Australia' that we have lost or are at risk of forgetting. It is best exemplified in another sport by the famous Australian cricket supporter, 'Yabba' who would berate English touring players, most notably during the Bodyline Series of 1932-1933. His shout out to English Captain Douglas Jardine, “Leave our flies alone. They’re the only friends you’ve got here” still ranks in my mind as one of the greatest piece of barracking of all time.

Roy and HG, the Coodabeen Champions and back in the day, Punter to Punter have all tapped into the humerous possibilities of sport. It is supposed to be a bit of fun. There is a script to most of it too that is older than you and me. At present, with a 2-5 win rate, the tendency is to reach for 'sack the coach', 'he's got no Plan B', 'drop a few blokes' and 'play the kids' and in that respect, people like me haven't had to wait too long for the "serious" football pundits and ex-players like Paul Roos, Jason Akermanis, Matthew Lloyd, everyone on FOX FOOTY and Kane Cornes to get on board.
Yep. The one thing I really miss about going to the footy was the raucous camaraderie you'd have with your own supporters and the opposition ones in the outer. Some of the things that were said would be outrageous by today's standards.

Ironically mobile phones and instant access to information and vision has led to sterility rather than greater insights.

I suppose that applies to every industry where lawyers tick off everything and anyone who says a word out of place gets crucified.

Yep. The one thing I really miss about going to the footy was the raucous camaraderie you'd have with your own supporters and the opposition ones in the outer. Some of the things that were said would be outrageous by today's standards.

Ironically mobile phones and instant access to information and vision has led to sterility rather than greater insights.

I suppose that applies to every industry where lawyers tick off everything and anyone who says a word out of place gets crucified.
Do you no longer go to the footy martinson?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually block a lot of people and I've never felt bullied, because our Mods do a good job. I've got a lot of time for dlanod, which is why I always make sure to do a couple of 'Previews' through the season. A few years ago during the 'Aker Wars' I had some posts taken down, but that's pretty much it. I actually haven't had a single infraction / suspension on our board in 16 years and only one ever, when I went onto the Carlton board and called out Chris Judd for his Kung Fu Pressure Point Outrage many years ago.

The best thing about Australian Rules Football, which has died out in these corporate times, is the concept of the 'voice in the outer' or the 'wag in the outer.' I know you will be familiar with this concept. It would be great at a tense match as a kid when someone in the crowd would scream something out and everyone in the vicinity would bust up laughing. This is part of the 'Old Australia' that we have lost or are at risk of forgetting. It is best exemplified in another sport by the famous Australian cricket supporter, 'Yabba' who would berate English touring players, most notably during the Bodyline Series of 1932-1933. His shout out to English Captain Douglas Jardine, “Leave our flies alone. They’re the only friends you’ve got here” still ranks in my mind as one of the greatest pieces of barracking of all time.

Roy and HG, the Coodabeen Champions and back in the day, Punter to Punter, have all tapped into the humorous possibilities of sport. It is supposed to be a bit of fun. There is a script to most of it too that is older than you and me. At present, with a 2-5 win rate, the tendency is to reach for 'sack the coach', 'he's got no Plan B', 'drop a few blokes' and 'play the kids' and in that respect, people like me haven't had to wait too long for the "serious" football pundits and ex-players like Paul Roos, Joel Selwood, Jason Akermanis, Matthew Lloyd, everyone on FOX FOOTY and Kane Cornes to get on board.
Not so much on our board but I have had multiple run ins with posters over the years, some I would contend are absolute dunderheads(I am sure I am viewed that way on occasion:p), I have never felt the need to block anyone ever. I've also never reported anyone's post but have been infracted and/or suspended many times and am still banned from multiple areas of Big Footy... Meh!

Even in the short 9 years I have been on Big Footy the tolerance for edgy sarcastic humour and blunt to the point posting has dropped markedly IMO, in this supposed age of enlightenment and acceptance of others the tolerance for different or against the accepted group think norm on here is eye opening.

We are tribes very open to division and control, online it has been and is exacerbated noticeably.

I haven't blocked anybody but I do tend to find myself auto scrolling past some posts after the first few words have reminded me of a dead horse beating and I am peripherally aware of the large number of words in a post ... I don't normally look at the poster name unless it is either with a wry grin to confirm yup it's X or to check who made this exceptional comment.

Looking for the game day thread, realises the game is on Sunday...
backing up homer simpson GIF

Do you no longer go to the footy martinson?
I go when I can Grasshopper. I find these days you see far more and get a greater feel for the game off the vision than live where you can miss a lot. Many moving parts to watch in this era. I've had my share of soaking in atmosphere in a few sports ,it's not something I crave any more

Sometimes when we play at Marvel the atmosphere is just dead. We have enough supporters there but the opposition ones could be in another country.

While I agree with what Zorko brings, we are just prolonging the issue of Keidean or bust in my view. Zorko may retire at the end of this season, Keidean may not be ready coming back from an ACL.

My view is we should debut Brain, stick him in the back half and let him take all kick ins for the rest of the year. If he builds up confidence and gets used to the AFL pace then we have a handy double act in terms of rebound/sharp kicks whenever Coleman returns in 2025.

I like what Zorko can do while taking just 2 steps but we need to look beyond him if we want to set ourselves up properly for 2025.
Makes sense if we keep losing. But if we win a couple and get things back on track, I think Zorko keeps that role. Brain might force his way in regardless or get a shot due to injury.

Not so much on our board but I have had multiple run ins with posters over the years, some I would contend are absolute dunderheads(I am sure I am viewed that way on occasion:p), I have never felt the need to block anyone ever. I've also never reported anyone's post but have been infracted and/or suspended many times and am still banned from multiple areas of Big Footy... Meh!

Even in the short 9 years I have been on Big Footy the tolerance for edgy sarcastic humour and blunt to the point posting has dropped markedly IMO, in this supposed age of enlightenment and acceptance of others the tolerance for different or against the accepted group think norm on here is eye opening.

We are tribes very open to division and control, online it has been and is exacerbated noticeably.
Wry and edgy humour and sending up even of oneself doesn't work very well on SM I've found.

Too many squareheads with one idea in mind of what the take on any issue should be and any perspective deviating from that is treated as enemy status.

Big Footy isn't too bad. But it's there is a tribal you're either with us or against us vibe that can sometimes overrate trivial issues or what's thrown out there as a talking point.

Makes sense if we keep losing. But if we win a couple and get things back on track, I think Zorko keeps that role. Brain might force his way in regardless or get a shot due to injury.

Well if the draw is really opening up starting this round for us, I'd prefer Brain being eased into AFL through our supposedly easier stretch of games. Zorko could be sent back at any point in time, Brain coming in and settling down needs to be done with a bit more planning. Earlier the better in my view.

Well if the draw is really opening up starting this round for us, I'd prefer Brain being eased into AFL through our supposedly easier stretch of games. Zorko could be sent back at any point in time, Brain coming in and settling down needs to be done with a bit more planning. Earlier the better in my view.
Just watching Brain play the last couple of weeks we need to try hard to fit him in somewhere because he could relish the next level.

Just watching Brain play the last couple of weeks we need to try hard to fit him in somewhere because he could relish the next level.

Is getting close. Will definitely debut this year at some point.

I wonder if we'll consider giving him a run up forward again. Definitely space in the best 22 for a pressure forward and he was drafted as a pressure forward.

Is getting close. Will definitely debut this year at some point.

I wonder if we'll consider giving him a run up forward again. Definitely space in the best 22 for a pressure forward and he was drafted as a pressure forward.

Our Coleman replacement is a much more pressing issue for us. Looks like he's playing the same role in VFL and doing well, so better send him where he's showing really good form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back