1. Rance
2. Riewoldt
3. Martin
4. Cotchin
5. Prestia
6. Caddy
7. Edwards
8. Miles

Defy any club to have a better number 4 and a weaker number 8.
If Vlastuin improves this coming season and becomes the midfielder that we think he can become (if he even plays there), then he replaces Miles. If Edwards goes back to his 2015 form, then our top 8 would be quite a decent top 8 if not a good top 8.

What comes after is our downfall. We still have the likes of BEllis, Grigg and Houli who have shown that they can be quite decent players, but once you start going to our bottom 6 or so players in the best 22, it drops off really quickly talent wise.

If Vlastuin improves this coming season and becomes the midfielder that we think he can become (if he even plays there), then he replaces Miles. If Edwards goes back to his 2015 form, then our top 8 would be quite a decent top 8 if not a good top 8.

What comes after is our downfall. We still have the likes of BEllis, Grigg and Houli who have shown that they can be quite decent players, but once you start going to our bottom 6 or so players in the best 22, it drops off really quickly talent wise.

2 1st rounders in this years draft will help with that. Also if you lose martin via trade after matching a bid you'll get another 2.

2 1st rounders in this years draft will help with that. Also if you lose martin via trade after matching a bid you'll get another 2.
I was thinking that.

As much as Richmond supporters want to keep Dusty. 4 first round picks in a KPP heavy draft could set up their spine for the next decade.

I was thinking that.

As much as Richmond supporters want to keep Dusty. 4 first round picks in a KPP heavy draft could set up their spine for the next decade.
I'd spread them, 3 in 2017 and 2 in 2018. A mini rebuild.
That would be awesome. If Dusty does leave and we get 2 first rounders for him, I'd be quite happy. As long as Richmond does not ruin the picks that they get, it would set them up well in terms of tall stocks.

Grundy was 4th in the Pies BnF in 2016.

After a slow start he was a star post bye, avg 20 touches, 30+ HO per game as he began to dominate games and work over bigger more experienced rucks like Mumford and Jacobs.

Going into 2017 would take only Gawn ahead of Grundy as a ruck.
Lol, settle down, he is no star yet

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

It frustrates me that Vlaustin doesnt play more mid time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It frustrates me that Vlaustin doesnt play more mid time.
Yeah, I want to see more of him in there and I think it is time that he does now. He showed glimpses of being a decent midfielder last year. A memorable game for me in this regard was the Round 8 Sydney game at the MCG.

Rioli - at 27 he is in the midst of his prime
Roughead - our most important player
Gunston - elite 3rd tall, having roughed and/or vickery around will significantly improve him from last season. As Bob Murphy said, 'simple a gun'.
Stratton - gun one on one defender, can play tall or small. Maybe the most underrated player in the competition.
Frawley - can't understand why some deride him. Maybe not in the Rance/Hurley/Talia category of key defenders, but definitely in the group below.
O'Meara - If his body holds up, and the Hawks medicos have a proven record in this area, he will move to no.2 by seasons end.
Burgoyne - his versatility even at this stage in his career still ranks him top 8. He has kept his speed and no current player wins as many big moments as this bloke. If anyone recalls the Hawks last second win over Sydney last season you will remember his final term.
T. Mitchell - Probably highlights why Hawthorn will be below top 4 this season. He will be our most prolific midfielder but in most other teams his a 3rd or 4th banana.

I have left out Smith, who I think is an elite winger, but I just put more stock in blokes that can win the pill and key position players. I've also left out Breust who I rate highly, but I had hoped he would have progressed to more time in the midfield by this stage in his career. In fact, with mitchell and lewis gone it would have been ideal if he was ready to step in here. For whatever reason it's just not going to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back