Teams Los Angeles Rams - The Rammers

Remove this Banner Ad

Left tackle Andrew Whitworth will continue to be evaluated for knee and ankle injuries while cornerback David Long Jr., who returned an interception for a touchdown Monday, is being evaluated for a knee injury, McVay said. Linebacker Ernest Jones and running back Darrell Henderson, who have been on injured reserve, could return to practice this week, opening a 21-day window for their possible return to the roster, McVay said. ... The Minnesota Vikings requested permission to speak with defensive coordinator Raheem Morris to interview for their head coach position, a person with knowledge of the situation said. Offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell received requests from the Vikings, Denver Broncos and Houston Texans, and running backs coach Thomas Brown from the Miami Dolphins, the person said.

Aaron Donald fined $10,815 for trying to choke D.J. Humphries

Posted by Charean Williams on January 22, 2022, 5:28 PM EST

Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald received a $10,815 fine from the NFL for unnecessary roughness during the wild card playoff win over the Cardinals.

Donald got into it with Cardinals left tackle D.J. Humphries on Arizona’s first drive of the second half. The unplesantries ended with Donald trying to choke Humphries before Humphries shoved Donald’s facaemask.

Officials flagged Donald for a 15-yard penalty.

Humphries was not penalized or fined.

It is the second time this season cameras have caught Donald trying to wrap his hands around an opponent’s neck, and the second fine for Donald this season.

The NFL docked Donald $10,300 for trying to choke Packers center Lucas Patrick during their Week 12 game. The All-Pro was not penalized, however.

The league now has fined Donald 11 times for $178,160 in his career, per Spotrac.

If a wide reciever is going to win it any year, this should be it. Not outstanding QB play, Triple Crown and so far ahead of the rest of his position that it isn't funny.

Agree wholeheartedly, said it in the week 18 thread for into arguments over it, same as you , no outstanding QB play, Kupp's year is uncommon, only 4th triple crown winner in history, Deserves it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am glad the Rams are my second team and not my first.

Would never be comfortable with a 3 touchdown lead.

Tricky match up against the 49ers, think it's a genuine 50/50 game.

Thread comments....

The Los Angeles Rams are trying their best to make sure they have home-field advantage for the NFC championship game Sunday against the in-state and division rival San Francisco 49ers, a team that has a 6-0 record against the Rams over the past three regular seasons.

The previous time the teams met in SoFi Stadium, the 49ers won the final regular season game, 27-24, in overtime and clinched a playoff berth in a stadium with an inordinate number of 49ers fans. To avoid a repeat, the Rams told ticket seekers on Ticketmaster that public sales for the championship game would be restricted to residents of the greater Los Angeles area, with residence based on the credit card billing address at checkout, according to the Mercury News.

Aaron Donald: I’ve accomplished a lot, only thing lacking is a Super Bowl win

Posted by Josh Alper on January 28, 2022, 10:13 AM EST

One of the themes from the Rams this week has been what winning a Super Bowl would mean for the record of defensive tackle Aaron Donald.

Defensive coordinator Raheem Morris and linebacker Von Miller both mentioned their desire to see Donald add that line to the already sterling list of accomplishments he’s had in the NFL. Donald said on Thursday that it “means a lot” to hear that from members of the team and that he feels the same way about teammates like Andrew Whitworth and Eric Weddle.

Donald also made it clear during his press conference that getting a Super Bowl ring is something that’s driving him personally as well.

“It’s just trying to find a way to win,” Donald said. “It’s trying to find a way to get back and accomplish something I never accomplished before. I don’t know what it feels like to win the Super Bowl. I know what it feels like to be there, but I don’t know what it feels like to win. I feel like I accomplished a lot in a short amount of time in this league. The only thing I’m lacking now is being a world champion. To get to that point, we’ve got to win this week.”

With three defensive player of the year awards and seven straight All-Pro selections, Donald’s record is as strong as just about any player’s could be without having a Super Bowl win under his belt. A big game Sunday will make it likelier that he gets his second chance to fill that line on his resume on his home field.

The Rams will beat the 49ers like the Dodgers beat the Giants, only it will be decided long before the final pitch, and there will be no whiny finish.

No check swings here, only one big hit.

Rams 30, 49ers 17.

The 49ers fans can fill the entirety of SoFi Stadium with every available Ronnie Lott jersey and it won’t matter. Kyle Shanahan can pin Sean McVay at midfield during a halftime throwdown and it won’t matter. More outlandish than all that, Jimmy Garoppolo can play a clean game and it won’t matter.

The Rams will win because they have a vastly superior roster in vastly better physical condition. The Rams will win because they are peaking while the valiant 49ers are finally gasping.

The Rams will win because they are just better, period.

The Rams have Matthew Stafford. The 49ers do not. The Rams have Cooper Kupp. The 49ers do not. The Rams have a defensive trio of Aaron Donald, Von Miller and Jalen Ramsey. The 49ers do not.

The 49ers will have to win despite being led by Garoppolo and his 63.0 playoff passer rating. The 49ers will have to win while playing their third consecutive road game after nail-biting victories in the previous two. The 49ers will have to beat a hungry, healthy team that has been waiting all season for this chance to qualify for a Super Bowl on its home field.

“I feel like there’s no better stage than this,” Donald said. “This is the type of game you train for during the offseason. All that extra grind, all that extra film is to play in big games like this. I feel like there’s no better stage than what we have right now.”

Of course, the 49ers have won six straight against the Rams, and certainly, they have physically overpowered the Rams every time on both sides of the ball, but, goodness, things have dramatically changed since they last played earlier this month.

Cam Akers was just returning from an Achilles injury in that last game. He is at full strength now. If he can hold on to the football, he can do much to negate the 49ers’ harassing defense.

“A lot of confidence in Cam’s ability to be resilient,” said Rams coach Sean McVay.

Odell Beckham Jr. caught only two passes in that last game. He has since found a playoff groove —10 catches, 12 targets, 123 yards and a touchdown — and will be a big complementary weapon against a 49ers’ secondary that has been torched by Kupp for 240 yards. Contrary to what was predicted in this space at the time of his midseason acquisition, Beckham has been a reasonably humble source of good.
latimes.com

Cooper Kupp is first receiver ever with 2,000 yards combined in regular season and postseason

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 29, 2022, 9:27 AM EST

Rams wide receiver Cooper Kupp fell short of breaking the single-season records for catches and receiving yards, but when playoffs are included, he has broken both records this postseason.

Kupp now has 159 catches for 2,191 yards in 19 games (17 regular season, two postseason), the most in NFL history for a combined regular season and postseason.

The previous records were 156 catches by Saints receiver Michael Thomas in 2019 (16 regular-season games and one postseason game) and 1,977 yards by Larry Fitzgerald in 2008 (16 regular-season games and four postseason games).

Calvin Johnson, who owns the single-season record with 1,964 receiving yards, played on a Lions team that didn’t make the playoffs when he set the record in 2012.

Kupp is averaging nine catches for 115 yards per game this season, which would put him on pace to have 168 catches for 2,306 yards after Sunday’s NFC Championship Game. If the Rams win, Kupp would be on pace to finish the full regular season and postseason with 177 catches for 2,421 yards after the Super Bowl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back