Loved, Learnt, Loathed Round 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, case in point. There is simply no way that Hawthorn is as good as it was last year and yet the Hawks are likely to cruise to top spot this year.

Sometimes footy smarts trumps all I guess. The Hawks have found a way to get over the line in a few close ones which others have not but is really only one loss away from not being on top. Had they lost to the Swans they would be only equal on top.

Though I do find it odd that anyone could define whichever team wins it all as being the "least s**t" because s**t teams dont usually win grand finals, I mean look at us ;)

I learnt that at this stage, it doesn't look like 16 wins will be enough to guarantee a top four spot. The teams that are currently battling to join Hawthorn as Qualifying Finals participants need to be setting themselves to go 5-0 in the remaining H&A games, at this stage, or else they're going to rely on luck to get the double chance.

I loved Geelong's performance. Hawkins returning to form, Menzel starring, Enright looking like he could genuinely get to 400 games, the ballsy decision to bring Menegola in for Zac Smith and that it paid off.

I loathed that some poor performances from the Cats have left me watching other games and desperately barracking for lower-table teams to knock off our top four rivals and I loathed that Carlton, Melbourne and Port fell short in doing just that.

Last edited:
Sometimes footy smarts trumps all I guess. The Hawks have found a way to get over the line in a few close ones which others have not but is really only one loss away from not being on top. Had they lost to the Swans they would be only equal on top.

Though I do find it odd that anyone could define whichever team wins it all as being the "least s**t" because s**t teams dont usually win grand finals, I mean look at us ;)

Yeah, it's a bit overdramatic, as the team that wins it all from here (whether it's Hawthorn or someone else) is likely to have to win all five remaining H&A games (because it's so tight at the top) and then three finals in a row. Take West Coast, for example. The Eagles haven't lost since early June and if they go on a premiership march from here, history will look back on them as a pretty imposing team, that went on a run of 12 or so straight wins on their way to the flag (which is probably what it will take to secure top four and then the obligatory three finals wins).

I do get the point though. All you have to do to win the premiership is to be better than the second best team in the competition when it matters. You can only beat what's in front of you, but if Geelong won the premiership this year, I'd have a tough time saying that that means the 2016 Geelong team would have beaten the 2008 Geelong team. It's a great year for a team like Sydney, or Geelong, or West Coast, or Adelaide to pinch the flag, because it appears that there's several teams that will be much stronger next year (Bulldogs, GWS, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Carlton, Melbourne...).

Yeah, it's a bit overdramatic, as the team that wins it all from here (whether it's Hawthorn or someone else) is likely to have to win all five remaining H&A games (because it's so tight at the top) and then three finals in a row. Take West Coast, for example. The Eagles haven't lost since early June and if they go on a premiership march from here, history will look back on them as a pretty imposing team, that went on a run of 12 or so straight wins on their way to the flag (which is probably what it will take to secure top four and then the obligatory three finals wins).

I do get the point though. All you have to do to win the premiership is to be better than the second best team in the competition when it matters. You can only beat what's in front of you, but if Geelong won the premiership this year, I'd have a tough time saying that that means the 2016 Geelong team would have beaten the 2008 Geelong team. It's a great year for a team like Sydney, or Geelong, or West Coast, or Adelaide to pinch the flag, because it appears that there's several teams that will be much stronger next year (Bulldogs, GWS, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Carlton, Melbourne...).

Yep it is getting tighter for sure and I think most teams fans have reason for optimism next season :)

One would be a genius if they could come up with any sort of end of season ladder for next year and get anywhere close

Hawks also took Xavier Ellis ahead of Josh Kennedy (WC) and Pendlebury too. Also took Mitch Thorp.

You guys snared Jack Riewoldt at 13 I think so there is one good draft pick for you, Rance at 18, albeit a priority pick was decent too, Dusty at 3 when Morabito went 4 was a good get too. So not all doom and gloom :)
As a Hawk the Mitch Thorp at 6 with Joel Selwood at 7 was our sliding doors moment. Considering Joel won his first 11 matches against us, usually being the difference, he has been the Cat's gain and our loss. Coodabeen champions!

Liked

• Brendan Whitecross looks like he hasn't missed a beat despite playing very little footy at AFL level since 2013, he hasn't looked out of pace with the game and has slotted in nicely in Hawthorn's line-up after 3 Knee Reconstructions.
  • Sam Gibson's performance against Collingwood. Nobody would've predicted Gibson to be playing this well at his age considering he was delisted by Hawthorn at the end of 2007. He has been a consistent performer for North Melbourne since making his debut in 2012. Hardly missed a beat the last 5 seasons.
  • Aliir Aliir playing his best game for the Swans. Showed great poise in defense and marks strongly overhead. A contender for the Round 18 Rising Star nomination.
  • There's only one player in the AFL who can look like having he's an off game and still kick 4 goals. Lance Franklin.
  • Sam Mitchell BOG in his 300th game.
  • The Tom Lynch and Peter Wright forward combo; 34 disposals - 16 marks - 6 tackles - 7 goals

Learned

• Despite the loss against the Saints. The Dogs still have some fight left in them yet. They will get back Dahlhaus, Stringer, Adams and McLean which will boost their side come finals time.
  • You can't beat Hawthorn at the MCG if you don't shutdown Gibson, Hodge and Birchall coming off half back.
  • Devon Smith will be an x-factor for the Giants in the finals.
  • Jack Steven will one day win a Brownlow Medal. He's having a very good season and his last 2 months of footy has been reason number one as to why the Saints have greatly improved.
  • Kade Kolodjashnij will be a very good defender for Geelong.
  • Brisbane have found a good player in Tom Cutler.
  • Matt Dea will get another opportunity in the AFL at the end of the season. Whether it's with Essendon or at another club.

Hated

• Mitch Wallis getting injured.

Loved
Yarran's Debut
Taberner's Goal (feel like I've seen that before....oh wait....2 weeks ago against Melbourne)

Learnt
The video review system sucks
The umpires still can't do their job properly
Someone in the umpires department has it in for Fremantle

Loathed
Umpiring in Freo vs Gold Coast....honestly....is it too hard to ask for umpires to adjudicate the rules of the game with a little more consistency instead of screwing us over again and again
Freo's second half
Injuries....yes my team has had more than most...don't see us getting the sympathy that other teams get.

Realisation
The next 5 weeks from a Fremantle perspective are going to stink in so many ways...the toughest draw any team can have....28 players to choose from if we're lucky.....and Pav retiring.....this season can **** off.

I would say the GC vs Freo game was just terribly umpired. We will be biased towards our teams but Lynch was held onto all day and there were plenty of times freo threw it or got spun around well over 360 degrees andd no free kick. There was a span of about 30 seconds where Lynch got his arms chopped, freo threw it then a deliberate out of bounds, none being paid. The umpiring is terrible on both ends, you just remember when your team gets screwed and not the other

I would say the GC vs Freo game was just terribly umpired. We will be biased towards our teams but Lynch was held onto all day and there were plenty of times freo threw it or got spun around well over 360 degrees andd no free kick. There was a span of about 30 seconds where Lynch got his arms chopped, freo threw it then a deliberate out of bounds, none being paid. The umpiring is terrible on both ends, you just remember when your team gets screwed and not the other

Couldn't agree more. It was a terribly umpired game but given that Freo players had to be decapitated or worse to get a free kick, Gold Coast enjoyed the better of the terrible umpiring.

As a Freo supporter, sarcastic cheers when we get a free kick was the order of the day.

Dunno who we pissed off in the umpiring department though

Be glad you aint a Dees, Blues, Saints, Bulldogs, Suns, Dockers or Bombers fan at least, we have known no more success then you guys this generation at least.
At least those teams have won a few finals. Our recent run of 3 elimination losses is our most successful period since 10 years before I was born. No club comes close to how pathetic we have been

I really LOVE watching Alex Rance play - he gives 110% every possession and contest. I feel we would be sitting 18th without him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved: St Kilda winning and now if the win on Saturday night I think they could go on and make the 8. And seeing Port lose
Learnt: The crows style of footy will not work in finals type games or in hostile environments. The could not get any space on Saturday.
Hated: The injury to Wallis, Hawks have it in the bag already and the Crows losing and now costing themselves top 2. dog fight for 3rd and 4th now. % is crucial.

Well that was expected from a flog to complain about the umpiring in the west coast game. Would you have complained if Melbourne won by 1 point, no, no mention of Melbourne kicking 8.12 hitting post 4 times, did you mention Bernie Vince 6 mins to go with the ball on the wing after a mark, tried to take on player caught holding the ball. Melbourne lost the game not the umpires
No they didnt lose because of the umpires, had their chances. But as a neutral watching the game, West Coast certainly had the better of it. Even you would have to admit that.

True but we have been very fortunate. Close games are a coin flip. You make your own luck and we are very good in that regard but it's been our weakest year in a long time. We certainly aren't playing like a Premiership favourite :(

Mate, seriously what is with the false modesty?

If the team who is two games clear on top of the ladder and coming off winning the last three flags isn't the clear premiership favourite then who is?

Without a hint of arrogance it is fair claim to say that Hawthorn is categorically the most likely premier right now. And this whole "least s**t" argument is garbage.

Mate, seriously what is with the false modesty?

If the team who is two games clear on top of the ladder and coming off winning the last three flags isn't the clear premiership favourite then who is?

Without a hint of arrogance it is fair claim to say that Hawthorn is categorically the most likely premier right now. And this whole "least s**t" argument is garbage.

No false modesty on my part. I believe we are the outright favourites too. I just don't feel that it's as clear as the previous years.

I just feel that this year there is no real aura of inevitability about any of the teams like there are in previous years. The competition is as even as it ever has been and I think credit has to be given to the lesser teams for stepping up. There are no real easy games this year (unless it's against Essendon or Brisbane).

Still have full confidence we will win the flag. We've given ourselves the best chance we have in years (assuming we hold on to top spot).

Learnt that Dogs are not up to it, Saints are better than I thought and have big future.Port unfortunately are gone after a fade out.
So North may scrounge its spot in the 8.
Eagles crowd takes the four points. Sydney were damned lucky and are in a little strife I reckon, but??? Never underestimate them.
Geelong at home, OK, but I think they are on the way back, bit of a worry.
Goal kicking is getting worse every week.
Last learnt is that the rules are still screwing the games!

Loathed the repeated camera rolling on injured players, yes I agree.Terrible , what about the families watching.

Only 4 teams can win the flag.

Learnt that Dogs are not up to it, Saints are better than I thought and have big future.Port unfortunately are gone after a fade out.
So North may scrounge its spot in the 8.
Eagles crowd takes the four points. Sydney were damned lucky and are in a little strife I reckon, but??? Never underestimate them.
Geelong at home, OK, but I think they are on the way back, bit of a worry.
Goal kicking is getting worse every week.
Last learnt is that the rules are still screwing the games!

Loathed the repeated camera rolling on injured players, yes I agree.Terrible , what about the families watching.

Only 4 teams can win the flag.
Curious
Would that be Hawks, Crows, Swans, Geelong? I get us out but the Weagles?

Loved:
Majak's mark
Injuries aside, the Dogs / Saints game. So intense throughout

Learnt:
Despite tipping Collingwood, I can still cheer for the other team

Loathed:
Major injuries
The surface at Etihad is **** deplorable

Loved:
The Giants fight back and toughness in a difficult arena

Learnt:
Losing Caleb Marchbank won't matter, we've got Harrison Himmelberg for the next 10 years.

Loathed:
*Terrible injuries and the classless boofheads who stick the boot in when clubs lose players.
*Big Footy and Twitter flogs still using the 2012 jokes about GWS's fan base. We are climbing like a rocket you mental short people, time to move on.

At least those teams have won a few finals. Our recent run of 3 elimination losses is our most successful period since 10 years before I was born. No club comes close to how pathetic we have been

Suns havent come close to finals and are arguably in a deeper hole then yours. When was the last final Essendon won as well as Melbourne, heck you have even made the finals more times then the Dogs in the last 6 years I think too so is not all doom and gloom. After all you could be a Suns fan right now but even they would have cause for optimism :)

But seriously, look at my mob, we screw up too, just like all teams do, 2 years ago we were the worst team in the competition by a mile, thumped by the Hawks by 25 goals :( and many had written us off for the next decade almost figuring we would be perpetual bottom dwellars. Look at us now ;) Maybe come 2018 you may just have a lot more hope too :) Don't give up, I like your team, definitely got the best song, I hope you can be competitive to end this season and at least give you and other fans some hope, just dont be competitive against us ok :p

Curious
Would that be Hawks, Crows, Swans, Geelong? I get us out but the Weagles?
Actually having rubbished your crew because to be honest they look very good, I have a feeling they are a top 4 side now, the Eagles I have my doubts I don't think they are up to it this year, they were not convincing against Melbourne by a long shot, in fact Melbourne kicking straight could have won by 4 goals , they threw the game down the toilet by little skill errors and horrid kicking.

Eagles at home looked to struggle. As for my predictions I've said before that there are a top 4, and no one else is good enough, but the way the ladder is panning out there is a number of five teams and all five will fight for the spot in it (the 4), so I think with Hawks draw they will stay where they are, I think there are Sydney , who aren't looking that good right now , Geelong are moving again, Crows are definitely there, and GWS sitting second not a bad draw to finish with.

That is my five/four, I think that two of those 5 will play off in this years GF I know my boys are looking ok but this has been a weird year.

I think out of those 5 any one of them could pull of a place in the GF from 5th. But below that are also rans , Dogs are gone, North are just not that good, faded a bit against Collingwood, and the Pies were insipid last Friday , they looked like they were doing piles of work but nothing happened, like a politician who speaks and speaks forever but says nothing, silly analogy , but Collingwood just looked like they were doing a whole lot of nothing.

I don't know what happened to your mob against them but there is always one of those days!!

I am /was /are against the expansion , we need less clubs we are diluted from quality in numbers, hence the second tier have no hope, but even though I have a nice old shot at your GWS club , I'm not stupid, I know how good they are.

But your mates give me a kick back sometimes! Take it easy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back