Opinion Radio/TV Commentary, (Is Luke Hodge The Worst?)

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with that entirely. But i think its more delaying to get your defense set up more than anything

Yeah but there was no delay, he gave it to Nick straight away who was heading in the umpires direction, who then gave it to the ump within 1 second.

It would of took Sullivan longer to turn around, find the ump and go give it to him.

Just one question ~ How can time be wasted when the clock is stopped?
You can still waste time when the clock is stopped if you’re unfairly giving your teammates extra time to get into position for the next stoppage.

But that didn’t happen either.

Cameron gets his head taken off by the Freo ruckman in a ruck contest and is paid a free kick.

Hodge: “Not sure what else he could have done”

Um, maybe not clothesline the guy? That would be my first suggestion.
Or when Cox got an accidental elbow in the face in the ruck contest.

Said something like that wasn’t a free kick, he ducked into it…..

No you nuffie IT WASNT A FREE KICK, NOBODY SAID IT WAS, THE UMPIRE DIDNT PAY IT, SO WHY EVEN MENTION IT? Perhaps he was accusing Cox of trying to milk a free kick by head butting his opponent in the elbow?

He really seems to hate Collingwood. As a result I really detest him as a commentator. His bias against us is next level. Due to his age, you would imagine that he will be around for a long time to come in the commentary box. This is very bad news for Collingwood supporters.
Yep thought exactly the same thing watching the game. It’s pitiful.

Listen to the quality of the commentary in NFL games. Professional broadcasters who have an insight of the game and the ability to report it in an interesting and intelligent manner. People like hodge likely only finished high school if that. If there isn’t, there needs to be a course a commentator needs to successfully complete to land the position rather than, hodgy was a great player so he will do. The competition needs to be renamed to BFL, B standing for bogan

I don’t really care too much about bias per de, doesn’t bother me.

But the idiotic things he says are just so consistently monumentally wrong…. The comments about deliberate oob were just laughable. Everybody knows you can kick toward the boundary and as long as there’s a player there in the close vicinity when it crosses the line it’s never ever a free kick. Bobby was actually blocked in his run to the ball and without that he would have got there.

Last edited:
He really seems to hate Collingwood. As a result I really detest him as a commentator. His bias against us is next level. Due to his age, you would imagine that he will be around for a long time to come in the commentary box. This is very bad news for Collingwood supporters.

I was watching with couple mates.

I had it on mute and said listen to this after a 50/50 decision.

Turned the volume on to hear Hodge complaining as usual about Freo not getting a deliberate out of bounds.

It was so predictable he just bangs on constantly for the other team.

Get fkd Hodge.

I was watching with couple mates.

I had it on mute and said listen to this after a 50/50 decision.

Turned the volume on to hear Hodge complaining as usual about Freo not getting a deliberate out of bounds.

It was so predictable he just bangs on constantly for the other team.

Get fkd Hodge.
It was obvious around the 6 minute mark that Hodge was pulled up for his biased commentary. He completely changed his tune in the last few minutes of the game. He's a terrible commentator

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cameron gets his head taken off by the Freo ruckman in a ruck contest and is paid a free kick.

Hodge: “Not sure what else he could have done”

Um, maybe not clothesline the guy? That would be my first suggestion.

Fyfe seemed to be grabbing Josh Daicos around the neck at every opportunity, even after having gotten called for one and given a free against. Bizarre… but maybe gets a Brownlow winner’s free pass to a degree?

Yeah but there was no delay, he gave it to Nick straight away who was heading in the umpires direction, who then gave it to the ump within 1 second.

It would of took Sullivan longer to turn around, find the ump and go give it to him.

1000%.

The media is obsessed with the notion that being a good player must mean that you'd make a good commentator. Every year there's at least 50 AFL players finishing their career. But it's only the favourite sons like Hodge and Selwood who get the golden parachute into a commentary gig. I can't think of one lesser light player who's an AFL boundary rider or special comments man

The media is obsessed with the notion that being a good player must mean that you'd make a good commentator. Every year there's at least 50 AFL players finishing their career. But it's only the favourite sons like Hodge and Selwood who get the golden parachute into a commentary gig. I can't think of one lesser light player who's an AFL boundary rider or special comments man
Selwood so far doesn't seem suited either, but atleast he doesn't act like a complete campaigner in his role.

Agree about BT, he was a good caller. Makes it even more frustrating knowing he can do it if he wants to.
At least BT was keeping the Hodge and Richo anti Collingwood at bay a little, I think the big Bristle at least cottoned onto the fact that Hodge and Richo were disagreeing with every decision that went Collingwoods way

Selwood so far doesn't seem suited either, but atleast he doesn't act like a complete campaigner in his role.
The benchmark for a commentator shouldn't be at least they're not a complete campaigner. It's got to be the most nepotistic gig in the AFL. Even the players who want to be a head coach have to do an apprenticeship of sorts and complete a course.

The death of Clinton Grybas IMO changed the direction of footy commentary forever, back when he was calling, all the major play by play callers were rarely former players. If he was still with us he’d be leading either Fox or Seven today, and we would have more like him and Huddo and not BT

And the insane thing with BT is that before he went to Seven, he was pretty good on Fox and Nine. Maybe that was down to him calling once a week

BT got caught up drinking his own bath water with trying to be funny rather then calling the game.

BT, James Brayshaw, Hodge...the list goes on.

With Hodge, I feel he has no respect for/doesn't rate Collingwood's 2010 team - it goes back that far, not just 2011 PF related. I get the impression Geelong was his premiership preference. More recently, I bet he feels that Collingwood were only good enough to manufacture close wins 2022-23.

Whilst Hodge whinges and whines against Collingwood and is quick to praise opposition, he does chime in with something positive once in a while - which is noticibly more likely at the end of a good quarter from Collingwood.

BT, James Brayshaw, Hodge...the list goes on.

With Hodge, I feel he has no respect for/doesn't rate Collingwood's 2010 team - it goes back that far, not just 2011 PF related. I get the impression Geelong was his premiership preference. More recently, I bet he feels that Collingwood were only good enough to manufacture close wins 2022-23.

Whilst Hodge whinges and whines against Collingwood and is quick to praise opposition, he does chime in with something positive once in a while - which is noticibly more likely at the end of a good quarter from Collingwood.
So, basically your saying he's a campaigner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back