Opinion Radio/TV Commentary, (Is Luke Hodge The Worst?)

Remove this Banner Ad

I could understand Taylor being disappointed to not make the semi final side. But after that he could hardly be surprised not to play in the GF.

Are you really suggesting he thought he was a realistic chance?

Are your insights based on his diary?
Should we change the name of the thread to Brian Taylor the commentator?

I’ve been to a few club functions that BT has presented. A few years ago now.

I used to enjoy his work.

Think he’s become a bit too old and cranky now. In terms of commentary, he should probably move on.

Will never forget his contribution to the 1990 flag.
His 6 games as you recently posted.

I like many have watched the GF replay a number of times. It struck me how often it felt like Hodge was coaching Brisbane throughout the game. His special comments had a real focus on what Brisbane should be doing or could be doing and this same coaching perspective wasn't applied to Collingwood.

Completely agree with the Bias comments.

BT was about to release a book after the 1990 season. Inside info on the club.
Coach and players were aware of it and not happy at all with him.
Club asked for a hard copy and were not impressed of the content.
Career over.
That is true and is well known. I still have a copy of the book!
Truth is, BT was well past his best in 1990. He was never going to get a game in the GF because we had a host of better players.

Someone who knows more than you probably.
I falsely held the belief that Taylor was dirty on not being selected in 1990 until only a few years ago.
True he was a chance but Gavin Brown was in far better form and was not carrying an injury (knee I believe).

I actually spoke to James Rowbottom (Swans player and BT's nephew about it in January 2023) at a family function.
He said that Taylor had always said he absolutely loved the Pies and his time there and does a lot of stuff for the club.

I later found out how much he actually does do like being MC at pretty well every function etc.

Even now in his commentary he always calls Mathews " the legendary Leigh Matthews".
Reckon that says a lot about how dirty he is.

I falsely held the belief that Taylor was dirty on not being selected in 1990 until only a few years ago.
True he was a chance but Gavin Brown was in far better form and was not carrying an injury (knee I believe).

I actually spoke to James Rowbottom (Swans player and BT's nephew about it in January 2023) at a family function.
He said that Taylor had always said he absolutely loved the Pies and his time there and does a lot of stuff for the club.

I later found out how much he actually does do like being MC at pretty well every function etc.

Even now in his commentary he always calls Mathews " the legendary Leigh Matthews".
Reckon that says a lot about how dirty he is.
Time heals all wounds.

I like many have watched the GF replay a number of times. It struck me how often it felt like Hodge was coaching Brisbane throughout the game. His special comments had a real focus on what Brisbane should be doing or could be doing and this same coaching perspective wasn't applied to Collingwood.

Apart from being a "rookie" commentator, specifically selected for the GF commentary team because he was an ex-Brisbane player, he was also an ex-Brisbane player.

I took this into consideration at the time and also concluded that he was a biased arsehat, however, I have forgiven him...for the moment.
He does (commentate) barrack against the Pies. but he is not Pat Malone on that front.

Honestly can't name a commentator who is biased toward Collingwood since the magnificent Lou. (Eddie of course but...you know-the pres)

Apart from being a "rookie" commentator, specifically selected for the GF commentary team because he was an ex-Brisbane player, he was also an ex-Brisbane player.

I took this into consideration at the time and also concluded that he was a biased arsehat, however, I have forgiven him...for the moment.
He does (commentate) barrack against the Pies. but he is not Pat Malone on that front.

Honestly can't name a commentator who is biased toward Collingwood since the magnificent Lou. (Eddie of course but...you know-the pres)
I think JB is pretty positive towards us.

Only god knows what 7 see's in him featuring on Friday night games....
He offers very little and clearly hates the Pies!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He nearly ran out there in the last minute when they didnt man up

For a Carlton supporter

McAvaney seemed to like Collingwood. He was far more professional than most other commentators in general, except for when he salivated over Cyril.

Time heals all wounds.
That is actually true.
It's 34 years since 1990.

Can you believe that?
I was 27, playing 1st grade and paying 19% interest on my first home
My first child was born, Pies won a flag for the first time in my lifetime.

It was an amazing time and I am pretty sure that like me a hell of a lot has happened since then for Brian Taylor.

I still love the Pies and now am pretty sure he does too.

Of course time heals all wounds......

Thats life.

Just briefly listened to Luke Ball and Brett Deledio on ABC this arvo and they were fantastic. Why the hell do we have to put up with meatheads who can't speak or articulate their points in a job that essentially, the number one priority is to speak well and articulate your point clearly. It's laughable.

Lynch, J Brown, Selwood, Hodge, Burgoyne, Carey before them as well. The list goes on and on.

The pro commentators abroad actually research the games they will commentate. Give King credit, at least he is professional as a commentator. These ex superstars of the game just rock up and know nothing. Have no idea about half the players, game styles, results. It's just super unprofessional.

Please do yourself a favour and buy the blu ray edition and watch it with the much much better SEN or 3AW commentary.

It’s not just Hodge that was bad that day. BT sounded sedated on drugs and Brayshaw on autopilot (the wowee generator). The C7 commentary really are a bunch of clowns.

Just briefly listened to Luke Ball and Brett Deledio on ABC this arvo and they were fantastic. Why the hell do we have to put up with meatheads who can't speak or articulate their points in a job that essentially, the number one priority is to speak well and articulate your point clearly. It's laughable.

Lynch, J Brown, Selwood, Hodge, Burgoyne, Carey before them as well. The list goes on and on.

The pro commentators abroad actually research the games they will commentate. Give King credit, at least he is professional as a commentator. These ex superstars of the game just rock up and know nothing. Have no idea about half the players, game styles, results. It's just super unprofessional.
Can't love Luke Ball enough.
Greatest coaching move Ross Lyon ever made insulting Luke Ball.

Won a flag for his opposition.

I still find it odd St Kilda even considered having back a coach who firstly crippled the side but then shit on the club and then deserted them for money, and zero success?

Can't love Luke Ball enough.
Greatest coaching move Ross Lyon ever made insulting Luke Ball.

Won a flag for his opposition.

I still find it odd St Kilda even considered having back a coach who firstly crippled the side but then shit on the club and then deserted them for money, and zero success?
That’s St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back