Play Nice Majak Daw in hospital after jumping from the Bolte bridge

Remove this Banner Ad

Because the medai have guidelines in reporting about attempted suicide and suicide. Hence why lifeline is mentioned after anything in the media which is self harm/suicide, If they report on it they will not exactly say how ect.

that's friggen stupid. do they think someone depressed is not going to be clever enough to work out how to jump off a bridge?

It's been proven repeatedly that discussion of suicide/attempts in the media leads to a rise in suicide attempts.

There is good reason why they don't talk about things like this openly.

source? how are suicide figures going lately?

it's insulting our intelligence to expect people to believe he had a 'fall'. if the extent of the problem was properly reported in the media maybe the increased attention would mean a more appropriate level of funding for mental health services.

pretending suicide doesn't exist while talking about depression and mental health doesn't really connect.

that's friggen stupid. do they think someone depressed is not going to be clever enough to work out how to jump off a bridge?
source? how are suicide figures going lately?

it's insulting our intelligence to expect people to believe he had a 'fall'. if the extent of the problem was properly reported in the media maybe the increased attention would mean a more appropriate level of funding for mental health services.

pretending suicide doesn't exist while talking about depression and mental health doesn't really connect.
Thankfully the people tasked with this kind of research and legislation are far more intelligent than the average bigfooty poster.

Thankfully the people tasked with this kind of research and legislation are far more intelligent than the average bigfooty poster.
Hahahahahahahahahaha
Have you seen who we've elected to be in charge of legislating stuff like this?

50 games in 9 seasons. How does he keep a contract?

Was a rookie first and foremost, one we knew would be a project.

He showed last year that he was worth the patience.

Why can't we celebrate the fact he has returned rather than dwell on the circumstances of his absence?

Miserable campaigner.

I think it's fantastic that he's returning. I don't want to dwell on anything. I just think it doesn't help the cause to say he "fell". But thanks for the insult.

The reading I have been doing about "suicide contagion" is interesting and seems to indicate it's more to do with how the events are reported more than not reporting it at all.

Why can't we celebrate the fact he has returned rather than dwell on the circumstances of his absence?

Miserable campaigner.
It's not dwelling on the circumstances at all. It's trying to get the issue of mental health out in the open so there isn't a massive stigma attached to it. That way people that are struggling with these sorts of issues can feel like it is something they can talk openly to others about.

I recently lost someone very close to me to suicide. Since their death so many people have said to me that they wished this person had told them how they were really feeling so that they could have supported them so that they didn't feel like taking their own life was their only option. Unfortunately this person believed that it was a burden they had to carry themselves and eventually they couldn't do it any more.

Last edited:
It's not dwelling on the circumstances at all. It's trying to get the issue of mental health out in the open so there isn't a massive stigma attached to it. That way people that are struggling with these sorts of issues can feel like it is something they can talk openly to others about.

I recently lost someone very close to me to suicide. Since their death so many people have said to me that they wished this person had told them how they were really feeling so that they could have supported them so that they didn't feel like taking their own life was their only option. Unfortunately this person believed that it was a burden they had to carry themselves and eventually they couldn't do it any more.
Sorry to hear about your loss.

However, Majak Daw should not be used as a tool of changing awareness around stigma. Your average person on the street doesn't have their suicide attempts reported in the media, Majak is deserving of the same privacy. Of he chooses to talk about it in his own time then brilliant. However it's not up to you, me or the media to decide whether it's appropriate to report on the tragic circumstances another person fell into.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to hear about your loss.

However, Majak Daw should not be used as a tool of changing awareness around stigma. Your average person on the street doesn't have their suicide attempts reported in the media, Majak is deserving of the same privacy. Of he chooses to talk about it in his own time then brilliant. However it's not up to you, me or the media to decide whether it's appropriate to report on the tragic circumstances another person fell into.
Thanks.

I'm not suggesting we force Majak to talk about his situation and what led him to jump off a bridge. If he wants to, that's great, but this issue is much bigger than any one person and their individual situation.

What I'm suggesting is trying to break down the stigma of mental health. People still feel like they can't tell people how they are really feeling. I haven't seen the data that was used to inform the media guidelines on reporting on suicide or suicide attempts, but it feels like the current way of reporting this sweeps the issue under the rug a bit and only encourages people not to mention the war, so to speak.

Thanks.

I'm not suggesting we force Majak to talk about his situation and what led him to jump off a bridge. If he wants to, that's great, but this issue is much bigger than any one person and their individual situation.

What I'm suggesting is trying to break down the stigma of mental health. People still feel like they can't tell people how they are really feeling. I haven't seen the data that was used to inform the media guidelines on reporting on suicide or suicide attempts, but it feels like the current way of reporting this sweeps the issue under the rug a bit and only encourages people not to mention the war, so to speak.
Very well written post. I agree. :thumbsu:

Hiding it doesn't help, half the problem nowadays is kids being insulated from the real world, THE TRUTH.
Majaks recovery is a great positive that has and will save others, but the fact is he jumped off a ******* bridge.
I am known for something I did in my 20's, but I didn't hide from the truth.

The fact that he JUMPED off a bridge actually makes the story of his recovery mean even more, because he is a guy who decided to jump off a bridge, and was obviously in a "bad place" who is now recovering, in a better head space, is about to resume his career and about to become a dad.

Without the negative in the story, the positives that have happened since aren't as big achievements by comparison.

Hiding it doesn't help, half the problem nowadays is kids being insulated from the real world, THE TRUTH.
Majaks recovery is a great positive that has and will save others, but the fact is he jumped off a ******* bridge.
I am known for something I did in my 20's, but I didn't hide from the truth.

The fact that he JUMPED off a bridge actually makes the story of his recovery mean even more, because he is a guy who decided to jump off a bridge, and was obviously in a "bad place" who is now recovering, in a better head space, is about to resume his career and about to become a dad.

Without the negative in the story, the positives that have happened since aren't as big achievements by comparison.

Which is clearly working. Since the media started doing this suicides have gone down! :rolleyes:

How do we know, since the media doesn't report suicides, how can anyone report if the rate has gone down or not?

Maybe the rate has artificially gone down, because the media re-catergorize someone jumping off a bridge as "falling".

I have a brother who had depression, and he told my parents about it. It was the best thing he did, because we were all about to get him the help he needed, and he is now in a great place and happily married.

But I am glad that he was able to talk about it. I read that the biggest thing a lot of people suffering depression suffer from is loneliness and isolation, afraid to tell anyone how they are feeling.

I don't know the person you lost, and I am sorry for your loss, but you mention that you wish that he had told people how they feel. I think this is key to going down the path of getting better, and I think part of suicide is feeling like no-one understands or cares, and the stigma of suicide and mental health needs to be broken so that more feel free to talk about it.

I have a brother who had depression, and he told my parents about it. It was the best thing he did, because we were all about to get him the help he needed, and he is now in a great place and happily married.

But I am glad that he was able to talk about it. I read that the biggest thing a lot of people suffering depression suffer from is loneliness and isolation, afraid to tell anyone how they are feeling.

I don't know the person you lost, and I am sorry for your loss, but you mention that you wish that he had told people how they feel. I think this is key to going down the path of getting better, and I think part of suicide is feeling like no-one understands or cares, and the stigma of suicide and mental health needs to be broken so that more feel free to talk about it.

I'm glad your brother was able to talk about it and get help with dealing with his depression.

Yeah, part of the problem was that this person didn't feel like they could talk about it their mental illness. People were asking them how they were and they just put on a face and told people they were fine. Since they took their life we've done absolutely everything we can to talk openly about it. Suicide, mental health and talking about how you're feeling was the key focus of the funeral. That not everyone is ok all the time, but it doesn't make you any less of a person to ask for help.

Hopefully it has helped reduce the stigma for the people that were at the funeral and they're more open to talking about it. If it means that one person is willing to put their hand up and let people know that they're not ok, then it will be worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back