Opinion Should BT/Darcy be barred from commentating the Grand Final after their recent biased commentary?

Should BT's recent biased commentary prevent him from calling the GF?

• Yes

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 10.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy was horrendous. That had to be the most biased call I have heard. No chance he gets a grand final gig on Ch.7

I dont mind BT overall - his best is excellant, and he can bring a bit of e-lec-tricity to the broadcast that few others can. But he also has deficiencies / opportunities for improvement.
What makes it worse is hes a lifelong Dogs man. Disloyal bandwagon bias. Piss poor

Clinton Grybas becomes a bigger loss with each passing year.:(

The 3AW alternate audio track on the 2003 Grand Final DVD with Grybas and Rex Hunt is phenomenal.

Despite being a diehard Pies man, Grybas calls the game brilliantly. Then in the 4th quarter Rex Hunt opens the commentary box window and starts getting into a screaming argument with some Pies fans.

The Channel 7 call on Saturday will be awful. A line up of absolute mediocrity.

The 3AW alternate audio track on the 2003 Grand Final DVD with Grybas and Rex Hunt is phenomenal.

Despite being a diehard Pies man, Grybas calls the game brilliantly. Then in the 4th quarter Rex Hunt opens the commentary box window and starts getting into a screaming match with some Pies fans.
Haha yes I was listening at the time. Classic.

Serious question. Should we allow this kind of biased commentary to continue or should we make an example of BT/Darcy now in the hopes of preventing it in the future?

Lol… who is we? We don’t have a say, it’s up to Channel 7.

And they couldn’t care less. We’re not the customer, the AFL is. They buy the rights from them and then we watch. It’s not like other TV where they have to please people or they’ll switch off. They have exclusive rights and know people will watch. That’s pretty much why they don’t give a * about the terrible standard of broadcasting.

You are right. Everyone seemed to hate him but i liked the way Bruce used to call big moments. And Dennis. I'm sure im wrong though
Commetti got swept up in his own legend towards the end- tried too hard and overdid it with the puns & one-liners. Hudson's already started to go down that path too IMO.

They're still both better than the cringeworthy attempts of the likes of Basil & Hamish.:$

I loved Darcy and his so brave call re Carlton.

What's he expect them to do, go out their and not try? Its a prelim for gods sake?

Maybe a commentary on Darcy and the way he played?

I loved Darcy and his so brave call re Carlton.

What's he expect them to do, go out their and not try? Its a prelim for gods sake?

Maybe a commentary on Darcy and the way he played?

Yeah there were two teams out there on Saturday...

The Carlton Globetrotters who were bravely pursuing a beautiful fairytale dream, and the heartless Washington Lion Generals who selfishly and cynically stole it from them.

Last edited:

Despite being a diehard Pies man, Grybas calls the game brilliantly. Then in the 4th quarter Rex Hunt opens the commentary box window and starts getting into a screaming argument with some Pies fans.

Last years channel 7 GF call is horrific. Thank god I’ve got all 3 finals in HD with 7 different commentaries.
SEN is the best.

Lol… who is we? We don’t have a say, it’s up to Channel 7.

And they couldn’t care less. We’re not the customer, the AFL is. They buy the rights from them and then we watch. It’s not like other TV where they have to please people or they’ll switch off. They have exclusive rights and know people will watch. That’s pretty much why they don’t give a * about the terrible standard of broadcasting.

That's exactly it. It's a completely captive audience that continues to watch no matter what. You can change just about every single thing about the game - none for the better - and they still watch. It underlines the gross insecurity they have that they need their mates in the media to suck them off and tell them how awesome a job they do. Literally anyone could do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the Triple M commentary of the SANFL Grand Final Andrew Jarman opened the window to yell at the Sturt players for repeatedly choking in front of goal (and ruining any chance of a close game). Top tier nuffy stuff.

I was just talking to some young guys at work that Grybas was the best called I ever heard. He as super accurate, great tone of voice re what was going on and just called the game, no, BS, no crap. Once he got a break in play he bought the special comments in.

Half the time these days you don't know who has the ball cos they use long shots and the commentators are too busy talking about irrelevant crap.

Grybas should be the template for anyone aspiring to call sport cos he was good on any sport. A big loss.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but i would take Darc and BT over that dross merchant Mark Howard. Talks absolute s**t

Is it 2025 that we can choose the Fox commentary of the mess that is 7? Can't come quickly enough

Commetti got swept up in his own legend towards the end- tried too hard and overdid it with the puns & one-liners.
This felt like a channel 7 directive though. They'd have Bruce trying to set him up for punchlines and it began to feel forced and cringey. Channel 7 are a terrible broadcaster.

Only 1 TV?
No I have two but unfortunately one seems to be stuck on ‘The Real Housewives of (insert US city here)’ and the other on ABC Kids.

Being the only male in the house I’ve learned to pick and choose my battles. Plus it justifies a Kayo subscription which really helps in the footy off season.

88% yes vote, shows you how much everyone hates BT. He is an absolute s**t stain on the AFL. Horrendous commentator, triggers almost everyone I know... GET HIM OUT OF HERE. Most people cannot stand is s**t tier commentary and bad jokes.

He also has zero respect and treats people like s**t.

88% yes vote, shows you how much everyone hates BT. He is an absolute s**t stain on the AFL. Horrendous commentator, triggers almost everyone I know... GET HIM OUT OF HERE. Most people cannot stand is s**t tier commentary and bad jokes.

He also has zero respect and treats people like s**t.
Big Nank knows the go:

Probably. Won't though because they are viewed as "part of the entertainment product".

The human epitome of dance/kiss cam, i.e. the prevailing view from the MBAs that the paying public can't be trusted to watch the game and enjoy it properly without assistance.

I'm at the point where the telecast is muted until I see the ump walk in to bounce the ball and muted again when the siren goes. Sadly though, don't have a solution for the in between as I enjoy the crowd noise and effects of the game. So need to tolerate the chattering gibbons I guess.

Back