Roast Mark Hutchings the new McGinnity

Remove this Banner Ad

Great depth player who can come in and do his job.
If murky and cavka come on next year and Newman keeps improving he may not play too much but a good guy to have as back up

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

This seems about right to me. There are plenty of examples of guys who have taken a while to mature - Priddis and Sheppard are two that spring to mind plus of course that great CHB Steve Waugh. :)

I am not saying he will definitely become as good as them but who knows? And while our list is injury depleted getting games into blokes like him we might just turn up a gem. With more exposure it may be his confidence or strength or tank or skills may improve significantly. Cripps was possibly in a similar situation last year.
I'd rather see Hutch getting games - with some possible upside - than say Selwood who has had plenty of time to repeat his B&F form. If Hutch doesn't make a big improvement then - as stated - he provides depth.
And don't forget that nuggety little FP Boony, Grahame! Quite possibly the worst FP in living memory, at the time, became one of the greatest.;)

Jesus christ who ISN'T behind Newman in your eyes? I mean we both know he's in front of Cripps right, but after that goal is he better than Nicnat?

In all likelihood he won't be in the team again after this week for the rest of the year. So your Newman 'sample size' for 2015 is yet again 1 quarter of football in a match already over. No doubt you'll draw on his five touches for the next 12 months to base your argument, i can't wait.

He is well and truly down the pecking order, for you to consistently say he's better than performing players is ridiculous.

As much as I cringe to quote Eagle87, your comprehension really fails you.

As I said in the other thread, you are so anti-Newman you are jumping up and down unprovoked about how his performance means nothing. The funny thing is, neither I or anybody else has even really suggested his performance meant anything. You are embarrassing yourself.

As for Newman, I don't consistently say he is better than performing players. I have consistently backed in his talent and will continue to do so even if he doesn't make a career out of AFL. Jesus if you don't think he is more talented than Mark Hutchings or Kane Lucas you're even more ignorant than I thought. What I actually said was "I'd like to think he will be behind these guys next year" not "he is a better player than these guys right now". And I stand by that, I hope Newman (and the other guys I mentioned but * me I mention Newman and you're right there two seconds later) is good enough to be ahead of Mark Hutchings next year. I left out guys like Cavka and Mags as I don't really know where they're at and also Colledge who frankly I think shouldn't be on the list in 2016.

As for his performance yesterday as the sub - I didn't really think it was anything worth discussing which is why I hadn't posted on the matter (but good effort trying to insinuate that I and other people did - do you really think people are buying your s**t?). I think Newman did reasonably okay, yes the game was dead and it was easier for him but he still at least was somewhat damaging whereas if you had given someone like a Hutch or a McGinnity a quarter in the same role (I chose them because they have been sub this year) then I find it harder to imagine them inflicting the same damage from the same opportunities.

For what it's worth, if you look back on our previous discussions on this issue my argument is more directed at your s**t logic than me actually banging on about Newman being a bona fide gun.

As much as I cringe to quote Eagle87, your comprehension really fails you.

As I said in the other thread, you are so anti-Newman you are jumping up and down unprovoked about how his performance means nothing. The funny thing is, neither I or anybody else has even really suggested his performance meant anything. You are embarrassing yourself.

As for Newman, I don't consistently say he is better than performing players. I have consistently backed in his talent and will continue to do so even if he doesn't make a career out of AFL. Jesus if you don't think he is more talented than Mark Hutchings or Kane Lucas you're even more ignorant than I thought. What I actually said was "I'd like to think he will be behind these guys next year" not "he is a better player than these guys right now". And I stand by that, I hope Newman (and the other guys I mentioned but **** me I mention Newman and you're right there two seconds later) is good enough to be ahead of Mark Hutchings next year. I left out guys like Cavka and Mags as I don't really know where they're at and also Colledge who frankly I think shouldn't be on the list in 2016.

As for his performance yesterday as the sub - I didn't really think it was anything worth discussing which is why I hadn't posted on the matter (but good effort trying to insinuate that I and other people did - do you really think people are buying your s**t?). I think Newman did reasonably okay, yes the game was dead and it was easier for him but he still at least was somewhat damaging whereas if you had given someone like a Hutch or a McGinnity a quarter in the same role (I chose them because they have been sub this year) then I find it harder to imagine them inflicting the same damage from the same opportunities.

For what it's worth, if you look back on our previous discussions on this issue my argument is more directed at your s**t logic than me actually banging on about Newman being a bona fide gun.

You've said in the past he has electric pace, he's a jet, he's exactly what we need yada yada yada.. yes? In all our previous arguments on the matter i've told you that in Newmans very small sample size, he has shown little of the traits you value so highly and seem to think he has.

You were also very impressed with how buff he had become in the offseason and suggested he would be starting ahead of Jamie Cripps this year. Cripps who kicked 27 goals in 2014. Cripps who according to you is a role player with minimal scope for improvement, yes? That same Jamie Cripps has improved out of sight in 2015, kicking 29 goals already and in some peoples eyes should be in AA contention.

Is any of that incorrect? ^

And now here we go again. This time it's Hutchings who Newman will be overtaking next season. Newman, who was supposedly supposed to show off all the talent he has in the WAFL this year to repay the club for their faith in him. And do you believe he has actually done this? You're happy with giving him a fifth year on the list, despite his only contribution to the side in 2015 being 5 disposals?

Perhaps you should try seeing some of my points of view, rather than just cry "you hate him you hate him.." over and over again and blaming my s**t logic.

And you quoted me first, dick.

You've said in the past he has electric pace, he's a jet, he's exactly what we need yada yada yada.. yes? In all our previous arguments on the matter i've told you that in Newmans very small sample size, he has shown little of the traits you value so highly and seem to think he has.

You were also very impressed with how buff he had become in the offseason and suggested he would be starting ahead of Jamie Cripps this year. Cripps who kicked 27 goals in 2014. Cripps who according to you is a role player with minimal scope for improvement, yes? That same Jamie Cripps has improved out of sight in 2015, kicking 29 goals already and in some peoples eyes should be in AA contention.

And now here we go again. This time it's Hutchings who Newman will be overtaking next season. Newman, who was supposedly supposed to show off all the talent he has in the WAFL this year to repay the club for their faith in him. And do you believe he has actually done this? You're happy with giving him a fifth year on the list, despite his only contribution to the side in 2015 being 5 disposals?

Perhaps you should try seeing some of my points of view, rather than just cry "you hate him you hate him.." over and over again and blaming my s**t logic.

Newman does exhibit the attributes of the type of player we need (or have needed, we seem to be doing fine without him). You can't really deny that. So does Malcolm Karpany. You really think he hasn't exhibited pace or very good footskills? Sorry but have you ever seen him play? Sometimes he lacks production and consistency but if you're denying he doesn't have good pace and good skills... you're trying too hard.

Newman filled out considerably in prison. He probably doesn't need to get any bigger for the role he plays. Yeah that was impressive (I was hardly alone there). What do you mean 'supposedly supposed to'? Haha are you serious? Did you forget he missed three months with a hand injury? His form has been reasonable in the WAFL. His production hasn't been amazing on paper but quite frankly the half forward role isn't one that generates alot of disposals. What I have seen each time I watch EP is that his pace and skill make him quite a damaging player for them, even if his goals dried up. I know I'd take 15 Newman disposals over 20 of Hutchings'. I think he was a bit lucky to get the call up this week even though he played well against Peel, but that's not really an indictment upon him. This side is tough to break into at the moment, being a genuine contender.

With regards to Cripps, I think it was after round 1 I acknowledged I had under-rated his talent. It was more of a case of under rating him than over-rating Newman. In any case, I remember RE saying Newman was going to be picked in round 2 against Carlton before his injury, so there was room for both. I'd be giving Newman another year on the rookie list (depending on what sort of draft picks we end up with). He and Tunbridge are similar players in that they both have great attributes, but with Tunners being eternally injured and his production very inconsistent, he'd be the one I cut out of the two.

But the bottom line is, 90% of my argument both now and in the past has been that you've never actually given an objective assessment of Newman's game yourself. I'd like to know where you think he has looked cumbersome and with poor skills. All you've done is try and hose down the "hype" that you inexplicably believe exists, which is laughable.

Newman does exhibit the attributes of the type of player we need (or have needed, we seem to be doing fine without him). You can't really deny that. So does Malcolm Karpany. You really think he hasn't exhibited pace or very good footskills? Sorry but have you ever seen him play? Sometimes he lacks production and consistency but if you're denying he doesn't have good pace and good skills... you're trying too hard.

Newman filled out considerably in prison. He probably doesn't need to get any bigger for the role he plays. Yeah that was impressive (I was hardly alone there). What do you mean 'supposedly supposed to'? Haha are you serious? Did you forget he missed three months with a hand injury? His form has been reasonable in the WAFL. His production hasn't been amazing on paper but quite frankly the half forward role isn't one that generates alot of disposals. What I have seen each time I watch EP is that his pace and skill make him quite a damaging player for them, even if his goals dried up. I know I'd take 15 Newman disposals over 20 of Hutchings'. I think he was a bit lucky to get the call up this week even though he played well against Peel, but that's not really an indictment upon him. This side is tough to break into at the moment, being a genuine contender.

With regards to Cripps, I think it was after round 1 I acknowledged I had under-rated his talent. It was more of a case of under rating him than over-rating Newman. In any case, I remember RE saying Newman was going to be picked in round 2 against Carlton before his injury, so there was room for both. I'd be giving Newman another year on the rookie list (depending on what sort of draft picks we end up with). He and Tunbridge are similar players in that they both have great attributes, but with Tunners being eternally injured and his production very inconsistent, he'd be the one I cut out of the two.

But the bottom line is, 90% of my argument both now and in the past has been that you've never actually given an objective assessment of Newman's game yourself. I'd like to know where you think he has looked cumbersome and with poor skills. All you've done is try and hose down the "hype" that you inexplicably believe exists, which is laughable.

Maybe now you can finally tell me what you expect Newmans role to be so i can put that to bed. Small crumbing forward or inside midfielder?

This in between business where he's getting 11-15 touches a game and not kicking goals isn't really all that valuable now is it?

"Supposedly supposed to"... well meaning it's time he started showcasing his skills and demanding selection. He hasn't done that this season in the WAFL, so it's undeniably yet another 'development season' for him. Yes he broke his hand, but in the rest of the games he's played he's averaged 13 touches, 2 tackles and a goal a game. I've seen him play, and i don't think he's as quick as Cripps, and to me he isn't a line breaking midfielder, and he's not an electric crumbing forward... he's just 'nothing'. Meaning not particularly excellent at any position, and inevitably a waste of time.

What role do you see in our starting 22 which puts him ahead of other players? And FFS don't say "he's an upgrade on Hill..." because that's just stupid. Hill is a genuine goal sneak and knows how to make the most of limited opportunities whilst also being good overhead. His goal tally at AFL level is three times bigger than Newmans goal tally at WAFL level. Not even a discussion.

I guess i'm still just failing to see what Newman brings to this team after 4 seasons.

Next year i'll be saying the same thing, only then it will be after 5 seasons.

Maybe now you can finally tell me what you expect Newmans role to be so i can put that to bed. Small crumbing forward or inside midfielder?

This in between business where he's getting 11-15 touches a game and not kicking goals isn't really all that valuable now is it?

"Supposedly supposed to"... well meaning it's time he started showcasing his skills and demanding selection. He hasn't done that this season in the WAFL, so it's undeniably yet another 'development season' for him. Yes he broke his hand, but in the rest of the games he's played he's averaged 13 touches, 2 tackles and a goal a game. I've seen him play, and i don't think he's as quick as Cripps, and to me he isn't a line breaking midfielder, and he's not an electric crumbing forward... he's just 'nothing'. Meaning not particularly excellent at any position, and inevitably a waste of time.

What role do you see in our starting 22 which puts him ahead of other players? And FFS don't say "he's an upgrade on Hill..." because that's just stupid. Hill is a genuine goal sneak and knows how to make the most of limited opportunities whilst also being good overhead. His goal tally at AFL level is three times bigger than Newmans goal tally at WAFL level. Not even a discussion.

I guess i'm still just failing to see what Newman brings to this team after 4 seasons.

It's funny that you quote stats to make your argument but I bet you don't realise Cripps averages 14 touches a game at a bit over a goal a game. I'm not suggesting Newman is better, just that stats (particularly for a half forward) don't necessarily reflect impact.

There's no point trying to shoehorn him into one role, because single-role players are out of fashion especially in our side. Medium to long term I see him as an inside midfielder. He reads the ball well, plays at a high intensity, has good hands and good skills. He also has the utility to be an effective medium/small forward with his goal sense and evasiveness. He is reasonable overhead too. He does demonstrate all this just about every time I see him play.

In terms of our starting 22 I probably wouldn't have him in there right now, if we had a full list, but as I said we are probably the second best team in the league. But he'd be close to the 25. Josh Hill has had an unexpectedly good year and so I wouldn't displace him. Do I think Newman has more scope though, absolutely. The main difference being Newman is much better at winning his own ball and creating his own chances than Hill who has good hands but more just has a knack for getting to the right spots.

Newman hasn't really been able to bring much to the team. He had a pretty good debut season but since then has been dogged by criminal charges and injury. This year the finger injury cruelled him. But I'd give him another year on the rookie list before giving up/

It's funny that you quote stats to make your argument but I bet you don't realise Cripps averages 14 touches a game at a bit over a goal a game. I'm not suggesting Newman is better, just that stats (particularly for a half forward) don't necessarily reflect impact.

There's no point trying to shoehorn him into one role, because single-role players are out of fashion especially in our side. Medium to long term I see him as an inside midfielder. He reads the ball well, plays at a high intensity, has good hands and good skills. He also has the utility to be an effective medium/small forward with his goal sense and evasiveness. He is reasonable overhead too. He does demonstrate all this just about every time I see him play.

In terms of our starting 22 I probably wouldn't have him in there right now, if we had a full list, but as I said we are probably the second best team in the league. But he'd be close to the 25. Josh Hill has had an unexpectedly good year and so I wouldn't displace him. Do I think Newman has more scope though, absolutely. The main difference being Newman is much better at winning his own ball and creating his own chances than Hill who has good hands but more just has a knack for getting to the right spots.

Newman hasn't really been able to bring much to the team. He had a pretty good debut season but since then has been dogged by criminal charges and injury. This year the finger injury cruelled him. But I'd give him another year on the rookie list before giving up/

Not the same thing. If i broke stats down enough i could throw Cripps's tackle count out there, his ranking for score involvements, pressure acts inside 50, goal asists etc etc. All things that make him valuable, which he's improved on compared to last year. Not just goals and disposals. There is also the fact one is AFL level the other is WAFL level. I think if Cripps played WAFL he would be dominant. Newman needs to do more for the Royals, simple as that.

On that note we'll reconvene on this topic until the close of next season then, if you've acknowledged he needs to do something in 2016.

Only my tip is it will be more of the exact same thing. Injury derailing his WAFL, providing more excuses. And then he'll get gifted a game and show you enough to make you think he's worth keeping yet again and we'll be arguing the same old s**t :)

Leave Newman alone he gave me favours in jail okay?
Plus with slight extrapolation his results are as follows:
5 possies and 1 goal in less than 1 quarter of footy = 20 a game with at least 4 goals! Well ahead of crippa. This boy can football. Btw he's a small crumbling midfielder who forwards

Not the same thing. If i broke stats down enough i could throw Cripps's tackle count out there, his ranking for score involvements, pressure acts inside 50, goal asists etc etc. All things that make him valuable, which he's improved on compared to last year. Not just goals and disposals. There is also the fact one is AFL level the other is WAFL level. I think if Cripps played WAFL he would be dominant. Newman needs to do more for the Royals, simple as that.

On that note we'll reconvene on this topic until the close of next season then, if you've acknowledged he needs to do something in 2016.

Only my tip is it will be more of the exact same thing. Injury derailing his WAFL, providing more excuses. And then he'll get gifted a game and show you enough to make you think he's worth keeping yet again and we'll be arguing the same old s**t :)

I did specifically say I wasn't saying they were at a similar level. Cripps does have 65 AFL games and 2 years of being at an AFL club over Newman too. It probably took Cripps 40-45 games to come good anyway.

Well I acknowledged he had to do something in 2015. Haha, what makes injury an 'excuse'? Pfft, my position hasn't changed based on Newman's performance as the sub so stop trying to suggest it has (for anyone). Newman lost almost 2 full years due to his criminal offence, more so than injury, so not sure why you predict another year full of injury for him. FWIW, Tunbridge is much in the same boat as Newman but I think he should be cut.

I did specifically say I wasn't saying they were at a similar level. Cripps does have 65 AFL games and 2 years of being at an AFL club over Newman too. It probably took Cripps 40-45 games to come good anyway.

Well I acknowledged he had to do something in 2015. Haha, what makes injury an 'excuse'? Pfft, my position hasn't changed based on Newman's performance as the sub so stop trying to suggest it has (for anyone). Newman lost almost 2 full years due to his criminal offence, more so than injury, so not sure why you predict another year full of injury for him. FWIW, Tunbridge is much in the same boat as Newman but I think he should be cut.

Take all the factors out (constant injuries, being a thug, beaten by worsfold in the time trial, jail, the magical fairy dragon, the dementors) and just look at his overall output for 4 seasons... i've told you this before, that's what i'm basing things on. Anyone else that is ample time to make a case unless you're a Ruckman or KPP. Might as well give Karpany the exact amount of time to come on too. Similar players.

Sure injuries are a bad thing, but that's just business. If next year he's injured again, it shouldn't matter, he doesn't get cut some slack for it. All that matters now is the fact he needs to produce something.

Well I acknowledged he had to do something in 2015 <--- Don't remember that happening. Would you say he has then? A simple pass or fail will do.

Tunbridge has shown enough to be retained in my eyes. By the skin of his teeth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take all the factors out (constant injuries, being a thug, beaten by worsfold in the time trial, jail, the magical fairy dragon, the dementors) and just look at his overall output for 4 seasons... i've told you this before, that's what i'm basing things on. Anyone else that is ample time to make a case unless you're a Ruckman or KPP.

Sure injuries are a bad thing, but that's just business. If next year he's injured again, it shouldn't matter, he doesn't get cut some slack for it. All that matters now is the fact he needs to produce something.

Well I acknowledged he had to do something in 2015 <--- Don't remember that happening. Would you say he has then? A simple pass or fail will do.
Don't believe it's as simplistic as a simple pass or fail, tbh Darks. Factor into account the psychological affect of being publicly humiliated and then going to jail and it's not as simple as stepping foot out of jail and voila, previous underage form is instantly achieved. That being said, you would expect the club to have a time line on the whole exercise and say, we expect x output by a certain date. There has to be a finite time line and the one thing that is impeding Newman, IMO, is the mindset.

Take all the factors out (constant injuries, being a thug, beaten by worsfold in the time trial, jail, the magical fairy dragon, the dementors) and just look at his overall output for 4 seasons... i've told you this before, that's what i'm basing things on. Anyone else that is ample time to make a case unless you're a Ruckman or KPP.

There's been two factors, his injuries and his jail time. Being beaten by Woosh in the time trial and also the dementors are directly a result of what went on in his personal life. I just don't think you can look at raw data to determine his value to the list. If he is talented enough he should be persevered with. It's not as though his spot on the rookie list is of great cost to us.

Yeah I'd say if he does an ACL or something in round 1 of next year then I'd be fine with his delisting. That's why I used the Tunbridge example.

Well I guess it depends what you mean by 'something'. I figured he had to show signs of development and I think he's done that. He should have been in the side in round 2, but then copped a 2-3 month injury. He's bounced back adequately. If I had to decide right now I'd keep him on the rookie list as I said, so he's done enough. I didn't say we should necessarily promote him.

Both of you are forgetting he's no longer ON the rookie list. So it's not like leaving him in the WAFL forever to 'develop' is costing us nothing.

Unless we demote him next year, he'll be on the senior list again? Like Karpany. And eking out similar stats in the WAFL. Like Karpany.

I've said all year i expect him to be given another contract after 2015. Not something i agree with obviously, but it is what it is. Personally i think he needs to be given a defined role, quick smart. Either turn him into a small forward, which isn't something the club has been great at recently, or start actually playing him where he can use his apparent talents in the midfield.

dajesmac you thought he should have started in round 2 solely based on his potential. He'd dished up absolutely zero to justify his selection prior to that round. At the time you were also underrating Cripps and Hill, like most others on here. So "could have played round 2" doesn't mean he deserved it.

Both of you are forgetting he's no longer ON the rookie list. So it's not like leaving him in the WAFL forever to 'develop' is costing us nothing.

Unless we demote him next year, he'll be on the senior list again? Like Karpany. And eking out similar stats in the WAFL. Like Karpany.

I've said all year i expect him to be given another contract after 2015. Not something i agree with obviously, but it is what it is. Personally i think he needs to be given a defined role, quick smart. Either turn him into a small forward, which isn't something the club has been great at recently, or start actually playing him where he can use his apparent talents in the midfield.

dajesmac you thought he should have started in round 2 solely based on his potential. He'd dished up absolutely zero to justify his selection prior to that round. At the time you were also underrating Cripps and Hill, like most others on here. So "could have played round 2" doesn't mean he deserved it.

Pretty sure his promotion wasn't permanent, it's temporary due to it being the result of an LTI. At the moment he's costing us Brown's(?) spot on the senior list. Karps should have been a rookie to begin with if you ask me.

I think the role has been pretty well defined so far. Seems to be playing as a creative half forward every game. He should transition to the midfield in time. Maybe next year.

The round 2 selection thing was something said by RE from memory, which I decided to quote. If he was fit I'd still go back in time and pick him over Hill, but that's just my own opinion. Hill has done very well but I think he is a front runner.

Let's get back on topic. Clutchings with Straws deserves to stay on the list for another year (regardless of when he is contracted). He is not worst 4 in our squad.

Call me short sighted but he is never going to be AFL quality on a consistent basis. WCE will be a much better squad when he is depth and not close to starting 22. Yes he can cover and yes he did ok the last 2 months. However he puts the V in vanilla. We can some in the squad and getting played when needed but we will need to have a better skilled players picked each week.

Next year is a deeper draft and I hope we have this discussion again in 12 months. And hopefully people will be questioning such harsh treatment of a premiership player.

Last edited:
If anyone had told me at the start of the year we'd be one of the top 3 sides pushing for a flag I wouldn't have believed you. If u told me ? McGinnity and Hutchings were in that top 3 team I'd have laughed in your face. The fact is they keep getting games. They must be doing something right. They obviously train hard and earn their spots. They have had some shockers I'll admit but for the most part they are contributing enough for Simmo to keep giving them a Guernsey.

Everyone that keeps talking s**t every week should chill out. Bagging your own players constantly is Essendon / Richmond type behavior.

Sorry to interrupt the Newman thread but the title still says Hutchins so I thought I'd pipe in ...

He does some great things and some truly awful things. His running goals this year have been great, isn't bad at seeing a player in space. But any pressure or time to think and he just poos himself. He will just be a giant sloppy poo in finals pressure. His worst on ground performance against Suns ughh. I honestly hope Selwood is fully fit to take his spot in the finals. I hate myself for saying that, ughhhh

He's probably improved slightly since last year. Hasn't played as many games (only the 8), has been borderline 22: where three of those games he has been a late in, three he's done a serviceable job as the sub. Racking up less of the ball than last year, but seems to be using it slightly better in terms of disposal efficiency. Wouldn't know this from seeing some of his loopy handpasses. This is reflected by his increase in clangers this year. Anyhoo some clear statistical improvements on last year, especially considering the percentage of these games this year where he has appeared as sub has decreased his TOG:

J88UL09.png

Would he get a game in many other sides in the league, probably not. He's obviously got some discipline (given he did some reasonable tagging jobs last year) and his limitations are less obvious when he can adhere strictly to Simpson's gameplan. The team performance this year is probably making him look better than he is.

I think people forget that the salary cap is only $10 million.
Nic Nat = 900k = 9.1 mill left
Hurn = 650k = 8.45mill left
Priddis = 650k = 7.8mill left
Shuey = 600k = 7.2 mill left
Gaff = 500k = 6.7mill left
Josh Kennedy = 650k = 6.05 mill left
Jack Darling = 550k = 5.5 mill left
Mark Lecras = 500k = 5 mill left
Eric Mackenzie = 500k = 4.5 mill left
Scott Lycett = 450k = 4.05 mill left
Elliot Yeo = 450k = 3.6 mill left

Looking at the list I've made I'm sure the estimates must be wrong, but the point remains that you can only have so many superstars because of the salary cap. Serviceable players play a role and get paid accordingly, and thus there will always be less skilled or brilliant players in a premiership team. If 11 players take up even half the salary cap the remaining 30 players are earning on average $166,000 per year. As we know from AFL fantasy $167k doesn't buy you much quality (stupid statement, i know, but by deductive reasoning it makes sense).

I think people forget that the salary cap is only $10 million.
Nic Nat = 900k = 9.1 mill left
Hurn = 650k = 8.45mill left
Priddis = 650k = 7.8mill left
Shuey = 600k = 7.2 mill left
Gaff = 500k = 6.7mill left
Josh Kennedy = 650k = 6.05 mill left
Jack Darling = 550k = 5.5 mill left
Mark Lecras = 500k = 5 mill left
Eric Mackenzie = 500k = 4.5 mill left
Scott Lycett = 450k = 4.05 mill left
Elliot Yeo = 450k = 3.6 mill left

Looking at the list I've made I'm sure the estimates must be wrong, but the point remains that you can only have so many superstars because of the salary cap. Serviceable players play a role and get paid accordingly, and thus there will always be less skilled or brilliant players in a premiership team. If 11 players take up even half the salary cap the remaining 30 players are earning on average $166,000 per year. As we know from AFL fantasy $167k doesn't buy you much quality (stupid statement, i know, but by deductive reasoning it makes sense).
I don't know what trying to guess all the salaries tells us that we don't already know - obviously half of them are going to below average. What a player is 'worth' is a very inexact science.

Regardless of what anyone is paid they are given a role in the team and they are expected to execute their role in the game plan well. If they can do that they're in, if they can't they're out, regardless of individual skill. You need to hold everybody to that standard, not just the ones who are getting paid superstar money. You don't just accept a certain level of mediocrity in the team because you can't buy what you want.

That's not a criticism of Hutchings just because I'm saying it in here. I just mean that the ability of those guys down the order to conform to the gameplan and execute it well seems to be often overlooked. I think Hutchings is gradually learning how to best use his abilities in our current setup which is great - we need to expect all of our 'below average' guys to be doing that.

He's be in and out with injury - needs a good run at it after a slow preseason.

He's no superstar but he's a very handy player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back