Player Watch Mark Keane - Welcome to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Butts wouldn’t get the same trade deal that Keane would if he’s being offered $600k per year
We should be looking to keep our best players not trade them because they have value...

We should be looking to keep our best players not trade them because they have value...
Trade them when you’re well serviced in those areas where the value is

We aren’t going to fit Murray, Butts, Keane, Worrell, Max, Curtin in the same defence

Cash in on the one with the best value:ability ratio and reinvest where we are weak - the midfield

Trade them when you’re well serviced in those areas where the value is

We aren’t going to fit Murray, Butts, Keane, Worrell, Max, Curtin in the same defence

Cash in on the one with the best value:ability ratio and reinvest where we are weak - the midfield

We're talking about true KPDs here. Max and Worrell are different kinds of players, take them out of the equation. And we're not really sure what Curtin will end up as yet, so take him out as well.

We're talking about Murray, Keane, Butts and Borlase, and there are two spots available. Murray and Keane are both head and shoulders above either of Butts and Borlase. Trading out Keane forces us to use one of our depth-quality KPDs in the main side, or else rely on Curtin becoming a KPD and potentially limiting his opportunities to develop in a more attacking role.

We don't have a surplus of AFL-quality KPDs... what we have is a surplus of KPD depth players.

The only way I would be trading Keane is if we expect to get back some other strong KPD back as a free agent.

We're talking about true KPDs here. Max and Worrell are different kinds of players, take them out of the equation. And we're not really sure what Curtin will end up as yet, so take him out as well.

We're talking about Murray, Keane, Butts and Borlase, and there are two spots available. Murray and Keane are both head and shoulders above either of Butts and Borlase. Trading out Keane forces us to use one of our depth-quality KPDs in the main side, or else rely on Curtin becoming a KPD and potentially limiting his opportunities to develop in a more attacking role.

We don't have a surplus of AFL-quality KPDs... what we have is a surplus of KPD depth players.

The only way I would be trading Keane is if we expect to get back some other strong KPD back as a free agent.
Keane only got his opportunity when Murray got injured.

We’re doing okay without Murray. He’s better than Keane. If it’s Keane out and Murray in, we’ve improved.

Loved Melbourne so much that he left?
He's been pretty open about the reasons he left. Wanted to experience his party days at home rather than live as an elite athlete abroad. Fair enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does entertain his options, but if he does leave it would only be because he has been offered significantly more money.

What are we getting for Butts v what are we getting for Keane?
I get the argument you're making, but if we trade out Keane we are a position short. Butts needs to be replaced.

If we keep Keane in, we have a position locked away.

Look, obviously if we get some outstanding offer for Keane we have to consider it. I'd take a first-rounder for him. But we're not going to get that for 600k/year.

I get the argument you're making, but if we trade out Keane we are a position short. Butts needs to be replaced.

Look, obviously if we get some outstanding offer for Keane we have to consider it. I'd take a first-rounder for him. But we're not going to get that for 600k/year.
I don’t think Butts is terrible. Defence is an area where I think strategy trumps talent and id rather invest in talent in other areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood's first rounder will likely be pick 20+.

Miss the Danger days & Geelong flogs ... and the Gibbs days & bLoos flogs

and now...

not-this-poop-again-gif.1567956

I don’t think Butts is terrible. Defence is an area where I think strategy trumps talent and id rather invest in talent in other areas.

He's a liability with the ball in hand, and very injury prone. And defensively he can be exploited, albeit less so when he gets to play second KPD.

If we're talking a pick in the 20s, it's a no thank you from me. But I doubt Collingwood or anyone else would be trading for him. They would try to get him as a free agent and we would have to rely on a compensation pick.

I love the big Irishman. Hope he's happy here and plays 200 games for Adelaide.

But I'd trade him if Collingwood can organise enough draft picks for us to get McCluggage.

Love how everyone jumps at these mid season 'reports' of which about 1% are genuine. The football media is more easily manipulated than Fox news during a US election.

Keane's dropped off a bit after a great start to the season and wish he hadn't fallen over under very minimal contact to gift the Pies the winner but he's a ball playing KPD who can take a mark and kick well. Gotta love that.

As for too many KPDs...how often do you think they'll all be available? We have 4, of which Murray is coming off an ACL and Borlase is depth - albeit depth that has proven he can hold his own if required. Sure we have a few third tall types that can pinch hit + a kid in his 1st season - and unless you're Jacob Weitering you don't come into the AFL and drop straight into a key defensive post - but you're not going to have less than genuine 4 KPDs on your list.

Love how everyone jumps at these mid season 'reports' of which about 1% are genuine. The football media is more easily manipulated than Fox news during a US election.

Keane's dropped off a bit after a great start to the season and wish he hadn't fallen over under very minimal contact to gift the Pies the winner but he's a ball playing KPD who can take a mark and kick well. Gotta love that.

As for too many KPDs...how often do you think they'll all be available? We have 4, of which Murray is coming off an ACL and Borlase is depth - albeit depth that has proven he can hold his own if required. Sure we have a few third tall types that can pinch hit + a kid in his 1st season - and unless you're Jacob Weitering you don't come into the AFL and drop straight into a key defensive post - but you're not going to have less than genuine 4 KPDs on your list.
Surely you aren't blaming Keane for that De Goey mark? No defender in the comp is stopping that without some sort of help from his other defenders, especially with the explosiveness of De Goey to burn you on a lead. Keane tried to guess where the kick would go, got it wrong and slipped over trying to recover the situation. It was a good game overall again and the Showdown was only 3 weeks ago... one poor game against Brisbane is the only major blemish this year.

Surely you aren't blaming Keane for that De Goey mark? No defender in the comp is stopping that without some sort of help from his other defenders, especially with the explosiveness of De Goey to burn you on a lead. Keane tried to guess where the kick would go, got it wrong and slipped over trying to recover the situation. It was a good game overall again and the Showdown was only 3 weeks ago... one poor game against Brisbane is the only major blemish this year.
Thanks for making me go back and watch that again...not fun. That didn't happen, he was right next to him, got a bit of contact from De Goey and lost balance. It's not like I'm saying he lost the game but what happened, happened. If he didn't lose his feet, De Goey doesn't take that mark.

Also in that awful slow mo sequence, noticed Nank trying to intercept the Crisp handball that he was never getting to, instead of going to Daicos who was on the end of it - he would've got to him to lay a tackle. Reminded me how inexperienced our side is and how much better we'll be when these core guys get to 50 and 100 games and don't make mistakes like that. All we need to do is split these one kick games instead of losing most of them and we're pushing top 4.

Some underrating of of a fit and in form Jordan Butts going on here big time.
My concern with Butts is he always seems to be going down with 1-2 week injuries.

The club won't bat an eyelid here. They will think, its ok if Keane goes as we will get a 2nd rounder for him we can use at the draft as there will be real quality that will slide to the 2nd round and we will get a steal... and we have Curtin who can develop into a Fullback.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back