Player Watch Mark Keane - Welcome to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd much prefer to keep Keane. Given our marking deficiencies up forward, I'd like to see us try Muzz up there, in a bit of a swingman role, and keep the defence as is for the time being. Defence isn't losing us games - it's the lack of forward marking options. This will be helped when TT comes back to an extent, but I'd like to see him in the ruck more, and see RoB put out to pasture. Longer term we also have Worrell to come back into that defence, so I think we're adequately covered, but losing Keane would be a problem down the track. I'd like Curtin to play more midfield or wing than back, as I think Hinge and Max can handle the types he'd be matched against.

Some underrating of of a fit and in form Jordan Butts going on here big time.
Agreed. Very rarely beaten over the course of a match and has the height to take all the 2m+ forwards in the game these days. The simpler observers among us get blindsided by his lumbering awkwardness but he's 198cm, he's not going to move like a midfielder.

Played very well on the weekend and an important part of the team.

Agreed. Very rarely beaten over the course of a match and has the height to take all the 2m+ forwards in the game these days. The simpler observers among us get blindsided by his lumbering awkwardness but he's 198cm, he's not going to move like a midfielder.

I don't want to Lose Keane though as with him, we have him, Murray and Butts as the 3 big talls. Borlase is also there but seems to be out of favor. Worrell is our 3rd man up and Hinge can also play that role when we want to be smaller at the back. All this works towards forcing them to use Curtin further up the field where he just simply has to be developed. Lose Keane and if they don't retain Borlase, then Curtin in their eyes looks like another KPD and no one wants that to be done to the lad.

I watched a lot of Jordan's NAB League football for the Bushies some of it live at Mars and Queen Elizabeth Oval and he was certainly far more attacking as a defender back then, also played quite a bit as swingman for the Bushies and went alright as a KPF, even played some games on the wing where he showed he can run and take the game on. I'm wondering if this current dourness is an Adelaide coaching thing or if injuries (calf) are the reason?

I don’t think Butts is terrible. Defence is an area where I think strategy trumps talent and id rather invest in talent in other areas.
Well if we lose Keane, we'd have to invest in getting another KPD. For instance we might invest in getting Petty instead of a FA mid. Keeping Keane is easily the best option here. Playing a 'not terrible' KPD instead, and having only Borlase as backup, makes the squad worse

I watched a lot of Jordan's NAB League football for the Bushies some of it live at Mars and Queen Elizabeth Oval and he was certainly far more attacking as a defender back then, also played quite a bit as swingman for the Bushies and went alright as a KPF, even played some games on the wing where he showed he can run and take the game on. I'm wondering if this current dourness is an Adelaide coaching thing or if injuries (calf) are the reason?
I do worry that too many of our players don't seem to have the will and/or the skill (or is it the licence from the coaches?) to really take on the game. That last kick from Butts simply had to go inboard and he had options there - but he chose the 'safe' option to go down the line even when playing safe at that stage of the game was anything but.

Keane is a good contrast in that I don't think his fundamental skills are any better or worse than Butts' (in fact you'd expect Butts having grown up with the game to be more skilful) but his mentality seems to be much more willing to take on the game. He's made some mistakes doing it and will continue to do it but in the age of highly structured team defence I think more speed and dare is the only sustainable way to win and simply chipping it around sideways and backwards before inevitably kicking it down the line is just death by a thousand cuts.

Irish players have often suffered from homesickness coming to Australia, it's a long way from family and friends, and the weather in particular can be brutal to adjust to.

The Irish community is much bigger in Melbourne, and I believe that his partner in particular had made quite a lot of social connections in Melbourne the last time they were here.

The timing is unusual, but my guess is that his manager is doing his/her job and would undoubtedly be looking at better contract terms, considering we're throwing around ridiculous offers at ageing footballers from other clubs.

Did make mention in an article that his parents have moved over here, which would make a move to Melbourne all the more strange, particularly considering he's from Cork which is more similar to Adelaide than Melb.

If he does genuinely want to get back to Melbourne, it sounds like its got his partner written all over it.

Also, Collingwood don't have a 1st rounder, they have a 2nd tied to Hawthorn, which as we saw last year could end up looking like Pick 30+

It's a very simple equation, there's no way we'd release him without a decent player swap of some kind, or a 1st round draft pick. We'd need him to see out his contract in a similar way that Petty is being asked to see out his in Melb.

The player i'd be asking for is Beau McCreery + a later Pick

Just remember as well that Keane would be out of contract next year, but not a free agent, so would still need to be traded. If the deal isn't good enough based on his performance it's highly unlikely Pies would try and pick him up in the Draft where they'd be competing against everyone else in VIC, and i doubt their contract terms would be ridiculous enough to put off other clubs, as their Cap would be getting a bit squeezy again too

We hold the cards here, no need to panic.

Also, Collingwood don't have a 1st rounder, they have a 2nd tied to Hawthorn, which as we saw last year could end up looking like Pick 30+

It's a very simple equation, there's no way we'd release him without a decent player swap of some kind, or a 1st round draft pick. We'd need him to see out his contract in a similar way that Petty is being asked to see out his in Melb.

Just remember as well that Keane would be out of contract next year, but not a free agent, so would still need to be traded. If the deal isn't good enough based on his performance it's highly unlikely Pies would try and pick him up in the Draft where they'd be competing against everyone else in VIC, and i doubt their contract terms would be ridiculous enough to put off other clubs, as their Cap would be getting a bit squeezy again too

Was he delisted from Collingwood? if so, that would make him a delisted free agent for life so when he finished his contract here can just walk to whatever club he wants

Indeed..

16 disposals 10 kicks (9 effective), 6 handballs, 3 i50's, 3 r50's, DE% 87.5%. Kicking efficiency 90%. 8 marks (2 contested), 3 intercept marks. 7 spoils, 9 one percenters, 10 pressure acts, 8 defensive half pressure acts, contested defensive wins 4, contested defensive losses 0, score involvements 5, score launches 1.

Source AFL Stats Pro

I assume he has bulked up a bit since then. Some blokes lose a fair amount of early athleticism when they stack on a few kgs

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminded me how inexperienced our side is and how much better we'll be when these core guys get to 50 and 100 games and don't make mistakes like that. All we need to do is split these one kick games instead of losing most of them and we're pushing top 4.
Yes, but also I’d like to be more convinced around
1. Our development at the club.
2. The ability of some on our list to get to the level they need to.

Ned and Chayce are both well on their way to 100 games and both continue to make the same mistakes week in week out, for example.

If he does want to leave, can’t we just keep him for another year and re-assess in 2025? We might decide to go for Petty after all, if he still wants to come to SA

Some serious underrating of a fit and in form Jordan Butts going on here big time.
He's very good at locking down on players.

My issue is his slow decision making to dispose of the ball, compared to likes of Keane.

Coaches should be instructing him to take a quick safe option to a team mate, rather than holding on to the ball too long.

I would definitely like to see us try Burt's forward and bring on Borlase to cover him. With Himmelburg out he could be that tall marking forward we've been missing all year. Tall enough to back up ruck too.

Thanks for making me go back and watch that again...not fun. That didn't happen, he was right next to him, got a bit of contact from De Goey and lost balance. It's not like I'm saying he lost the game but what happened, happened. If he didn't lose his feet, De Goey doesn't take that mark.

Also in that awful slow mo sequence, noticed Nank trying to intercept the Crisp handball that he was never getting to, instead of going to Daicos who was on the end of it - he would've got to him to lay a tackle. Reminded me how inexperienced our side is and how much better we'll be when these core guys get to 50 and 100 games and don't make mistakes like that. All we need to do is split these one kick games instead of losing most of them and we're pushing top 4.
I think De Goey takes the mark regardless given he’s one on one and kicks in front of him perfectly, but I concede my memory was wrong about how he slipped over.

Agree about the experience thing, Port started winning these games once they got 50-100 games into the likes of Rozee, Butters, Houston etc. They still have their fair share of dud role players (DBJ, McIntee, Mead), but even they had important plays in those dying moments because the class around them have more experience and so lifts them too.

Impossible to judge this until next year, but gut feel based on our list profile is that we start winning more of these games than we lose from 2025 onwards. The tide will turn, like it did for Port, Collingwood and Carlton after a season or two of close losses.

He's very good at locking down on players.

My issue is his slow decision making to dispose of the ball, compared to likes of Keane.

Coaches should be instructing him to take a quick safe option to a team mate, rather than holding on to the ball too long.
I thought he was far better with his decision making on the weekend, especially that very good kick to hit up Himmelberg in the 1st.

Are you sure you don't want us to throw in the Daicos Bros also? :D

If he does come back to Collingwood, then you are going to be disappointed with the return, if a first rounder, or Beau and a pick (that one I had to read twice) is what you are hoping for.

I thought he was far better with his decision making on the weekend, especially that very good kick to hit up Himmelberg in the 1st.
He's usually way too slow to make a decision, which allows the opposition to set up their zone.

You are talking about an exception to the usual.

Are you sure you don't want us to throw in the Daicos Bros also? :D

If he does come back to Collingwood, then you are going to be disappointed with the return, if a first rounder, or Beau and a pick (that one I had to read twice) is what you are hoping for.
Go your hardest but there's one very big problem there.... he's contracted for 2025 so you'll pay a premium unless you wait for 2026.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back