Player Watch Mark Keane - Welcome to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

No it's just called having an opinion on someone or something. It's allowed.
You haven been very keen to share your shit opinions about our player on our board.

Normally I like Pies supporters, but you are in the minority!

Thanks for making me go back and watch that again...not fun. That didn't happen, he was right next to him, got a bit of contact from De Goey and lost balance. It's not like I'm saying he lost the game but what happened, happened. If he didn't lose his feet, De Goey doesn't take that mark.

Also in that awful slow mo sequence, noticed Nank trying to intercept the Crisp handball that he was never getting to, instead of going to Daicos who was on the end of it - he would've got to him to lay a tackle. Reminded me how inexperienced our side is and how much better we'll be when these core guys get to 50 and 100 games and don't make mistakes like that. All we need to do is split these one kick games instead of losing most of them and we're pushing top 4.
You don’t think our experienced players make similar mistakes as to what Nank did?

I think you're still struggling with the whole 'trading' thing, but i'll break it down for you. There's literally no reason to trade a key defender for a pick in the 30's when they're still under contract, and when they're performing brilliantly. You seem quite emotive for someone who's not that bothered with bringing in a key defender who's stats this year are only marginally off Darcy Moore.

Next year after developing him for a year, you will still need to trade for him, or he will go into the draft where you'd need to spend a pick on him. Are you following how this works or are you new here?
He'd be a DFA wouldn't he after being cut free from the Pies?

Edit, just saw later posts pointed out the same thing. Whether he stays or goes, he's in for a big pay rise as an in demand KPD

You don’t think our experienced players make similar mistakes as to what Nank did?

Nankervis makes mistakes (and not that many) when he's trying to create something.

An unfortunate number of our senior players make mistakes despite trying to play it safe.

Last edited:
Yes, but also I’d like to be more convinced around
1. Our development at the club.
2. The ability of some on our list to get to the level they need to.

Ned and Chayce are both well on their way to 100 games and both continue to make the same mistakes week in week out, for example.
That's fair. It's either our development or drafting that need to be overhauled; given the consistency of our recruiting team over the offending period, I lean that way.

Still feel there's enough talent to work with, especially if we keep recruiting well (given our two best players now came from other clubs). Understand I'm in the minority but think the game plan is tactically solid and will hold up in finals. Nicks and team just need the kind of players who can execute it, ie. players who hit targets. If Hamish keeps supplying his favourite 'competitive hard working' type players with high picks - such as Ned and Chayce et al., then we'll keep trying to jam a square block into a round hole.

I don't think there would be too many Pies supporters who really care if he comes back or not.

I only just heard the news regarding the possible return and there was nothing on our board, so I thought I would come here and get a feel for what is happening.
It was only the outlandish request that caught my attention.

I hope he stays with you, if he costs anything more than a pick in the 30s.

Develop him for another year, then he can come back for free, if there is a spot.

How does he get to you for free?

Keane has huge upside, particularly if he can improve his tackling and 1-1 work.

Finally someone said it. Keane needs to significantly improve his 1:1 positioning if he’s to be a really valuable key defender

At the moment he’s a good, strong but lumbering intercept player on a cheap contract - what’s not to like?

That calculus changes as time goes on, the cheap contract comes to an end and does he keep improving where he needs to?

Thank you for "breaking it down for me" now please allow me to enlighten you.
As I believe he is a delisted free agent, he can walk to any team he likes, without being traded for.

So yeah, if it is true that Collingwood are looking at him and cant get a trade done, there is always next year for free.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

Listen doofus, players who walk away don’t qualify as delisted free agents

You’re welcome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally someone said it. Keane needs to significantly improve his 1:1 positioning if he’s to be a really valuable key defender

At the moment he’s a good, strong but lumbering intercept player on a cheap contract - what’s not to like?

That calculus changes as time goes on, the cheap contract comes to an end and does he keep improving where he needs to?
Lumbering? Definitely seems harsh

Yeah he needs to improve 1:1 from an athletic standpoint, but is he that bad?

Butts is serviceable but kicking efficiency is a terrible indicator of disposal quality. It was noticeable on a few occasions on Saturday that his hesitation to take slightly riskier inboard kicks hampered our ball movement.
I don't want Butts taking those riskier kicks. All players can't be all things, his value is cutting the opposition's best tall forward out of the game. It's a good thing he knows his limitations.

I don't want Butts taking those riskier kicks. All players can't be all things, his value is cutting the opposition's best tall forward out of the game. It's a good thing he knows his limitations.
Totally agree! I'm glad he didn't try to bite off more than he could chew. It's a coaching challenge, really: how to regularly and reliably get the ball in the hands of your best kicks?

Really interesting point.
I wonder if I'm happy to lose Keane if it meant getting Petty?

I think I would do that deal.
Thoughts anyone?
No, because it's more important we spend that capital to improve our midfield. Much more
Plus Petty looks ordinary. Thank god the dees didnt trade him to us last year, would've been a Gibbs-sized disaster

Yes, but it's better not to have those limitations in the first place.

I don't think there's any notable gap between Butts and Keane defensively. Minimal at most. But Keane can help start offensive chains to score the other way. Butts mostly stifles them.

No, because it's more important we spend that capital to improve our midfield. Much more
Plus Petty looks ordinary. Thank god the dees didnt trade him to us last year, would've been a Gibbs-sized disaster
I only meant getting Petty with the returns from the Keane trade.

Totally agree! I'm glad he didn't try to bite off more than he could chew. It's a coaching challenge, really: how to regularly and reliably get the ball in the hands of your best kicks?
There's nothing wrong with the Butts kicking. It looks to me that he has been playing under instruction. He looks permanently worried at FB and constrained to spoil. When he manages to get to HB, he frees up and kicks well: this is his natural instinct. If he were playing at HB, he would be a perfectly decent distributor. He is not in the (low) class of Talia and Hartigan with ball in hand.

The trouble with Keane, as noted by Sanders, has been directly in one-on-ones, especially in deciding how vigorously to push in the back. He has been pretty costly. However, his big positive, right from the start, has been a determination to pass the ball to advantage on all occasions. He does very well at that, notwithstanding some of the mental delays telegraphing his intentions sometimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back