Scandal Marlion Pickett - In Custody for multiple offences - Later bailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickett has been charged by WA Police with four counts of aggravated burglary, with three counts of stealing and three counts of criminal damage among his other charges.
The alleged offences took place between December 2022 and January 2023.
Pickett has a “strong intent” to defend himself, his manager Anthony Van Der Wielen told 7NEWS in a statement.

Racist comments will immediately cop a long break from Bigfooty, discuss the issue not the skin colour or race.
Thank you.

P.S This thread has nothing to do with the Clarkson/Racism review discussion.
This thread is not the place to discuss the prison system and prisoner rehabilitation, you can take that to the SRP board.
This is the scandals and rumours board only, please stay on topic in here.

Last edited:
People don't just get remanded in Custody unless Police are confident in the evidence and confident that the charges would ultimately stick.

He could have just been charged and bailed, or simply released pending summons. Instead he was kept in custody and is being presented directly to court. Obviously we will know more once the Magistrate has their say.

Prior criminal record also play into him being held?

Devastating news for his family.

31 years old and dumb enough to let himself associate with low life's that you know are criminals, and will eventually drag you down.

Deserves everything he gets going forward.

AGGRAVATED included in the charges make it very very very serious.

Big chance of not getting bail if he wasn't an AFL player.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

These aren't the sort of charges you get arrested on if you're innocent. Purse snatching or murder, someone could mistake you for someone else or they can string together theories and motives. This they have indisputable proof or they don't bother. His lawyer or player manager or whoever made that statement didn't say he was innocent, which is the first thing you'd do if you were.

Why and how did Richmond cover this up when it apparently happened 6 months ago?

Not exactly low key though - surely there's a media presence as the team disembark. Would be noticed immediately if he's asked to accompany police away from their team group.

Nah, I meant the way they've done it seems the most low key way.

Agree it would be a big circus if they collared him at the airport.

As others have said the thing that gets me the most is they didn't arrest him at the airport. They let him play the full game against the Dockers
It reminds of the scene in the Blues brothers where the cops were about to arrest them then John Candy's character says "wait! I want to watch these guy's play".

It always boggles the mind an AFL player, who is usually a highly paid individual with great networks and connections, can still find their way into organised crime. And if it isn’t organised crime, what on earth is he thinking doing something so brazen by himself?
Committing burglary in the company of another isn't organised crime chief.

I’m a bit surprised they waited until after the game. They would have known he was coming, what’s stopping them just waiting for him at the airport or at his hotel? That kind of info would have been easy enough for them to get

I just don’t see what sort of gains the police would have gotten by letting him play out the game other than to possibly lull him in to a false sense of security about his actions catching up to him

Aggravated burglary​

Burglary is committed when a person trespasses a building with the intention to steal or assault a person. Burglary is aggravated if someone is present during the burglary and the offender knew or was reckless as to the fact, or if the offender has a weapon or fake weapon.

didnt read whole thread, but this is just a fancy term for robbery then?

It's not race at all, it's just awfully sad that allegedly he's fallen back in with the sort of crew he needed to be away from most likely.
Go read the social media comments.

There’s a reason comments are locked on each post about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prior criminal record also play into him being held?

Generally only if they are on bail at the time of the offending, if he was then yes that prior incident would be held against him. But that's not so much a criminal record (heard and sentenced) as it is someone being charged and it becoming an upcoming matter (to be heard).

But as far as I'm aware his criminal history is years behind him, so it wouldn't be relevant - unless maybe he had a long history of skipping bail checkins and not presenting to court back in the day, then that may have been.

didnt read whole thread, but this is just a fancy term for robbery then?

In real short terms:

Robbery = person

Burglary = premesis

Aggravated Burglary = premises with person present (whether they knew for sure or were reckless in not knowing, eg. lights on, car in driveway, etc), or intent to damage / assault someone

Go read the social media comments.

There’s a reason comments are locked on each post about it.
I would expect that because he's now facing the charges and is on remand at this stage. Indeed as a subscriber of the Herald Sun and The Australian that's usually the case in the event of a current case.

It's still in my eyes a sad and unfortunate situation. That's all there is to it and all i am saying.

I would expect that because he's now facing the charges and is on remand at this stage. Indeed as a subscriber of the Herald Sun and The Australian that's usually the case in the event of a current case.

It's still in my eyes a sad and unfortunate situation. That's all there is to it and all i am saying.
Feel sorry for his kids.
What future are they staring at now.
Some men need castrating 😔

It’s because of the racist ****wits that permeate this country.

If you could see the shit that gets deleted on here, then you’d understand.

In real short terms:

Robbery = person

Burglary = premesis

Aggravated Burglary = premises with person present (whether they knew for sure or were reckless in not knowing, eg. lights on, car in driveway, etc), or intent to damage / assault someone
thanks

so could have been burglary of a commercial premises where a nightwatchman/security could be reasonably assumed to be present?

These aren't the sort of charges you get arrested on if you're innocent. Purse snatching or murder, someone could mistake you for someone else or they can string together theories and motives. This they have indisputable proof or they don't bother. His lawyer or player manager or whoever made that statement didn't say he was innocent, which is the first thing you'd do if you were.

Why and how did Richmond cover this up when it apparently happened 6 months ago?

Might have absolutely nothing to do with Richmond and everything to do with Police conducting their investigation.

Given it sounds like there were four incidents (or maybe I misread that?), involving industrial premesis' - there may have been quite a lot of evidence to gather, including phone pings, CCTV, witness statements, etc.

This could have been ready to go weeks/months ago and the other parties involved may have already been arrested and dealt with. But this seemingly is the first thing Pickett has travelled to Perth since the incident, so it's the first chance they've had to catch up with him.

thanks

so could have been burglary of a commercial premises where a nightwatchman/security could be reasonably assumed to be present?

Potentially. Maybe someone was working late. Who knows at this stage.

The criminal damage charge may have simply been committed when (if?) they forced their way into the premesis (cutting wire, smashing windows, etc).

Or maybe there was no one there at all, but they went in there with the intention of destroying/damaging something specifically, in which case it would constitute aggravated burglary.

Only boggles the mind if you're kissed on the dick being born into a stable family and lucky enough to grow up in a safe privelaged environment. This is unfortunately the reality of many who come from an indigenous community. Earning a decent salary at 27 doesn't all of a sudden erase the way of life and mates you grow up with. Very unfortunate but hardly ludicrous.
Let's not make excuses now. If you can propel yourself into the elite echelon of being a highly paid sportsman with the world at your feet, surely not committing crimes that will undo it all is within fairly easy reach by just throwing an ounce of rational thought behind it.

So yes, it does boggle the mind that it can happen. Let's wait to see if it did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back