Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

He was cooked, well behind the pace of the game, and would have been just as much of a liability.

How they thought that selecting him before he was ready, then subbing him early two weeks in a row to really make sure his morale was destroyed was a better idea than letting him build his tank and confidence in the SANFL, I have no idea. At least pick him as the sub if you're not going to play him for a full game and then maybe he could get some midfield minutes to build his confidence.

He's clearly a big-body midfielder, not a KPD, which is something we are crying out for, but he's not ready for that role yet.
That would make sense if they were letting him develop as a mid in the SANFL but they haven’t even given him one run in the midfield

I appreciate that Nicks came to the club at a difficult time and corrected some of the post camp things and the place generally seems better. Thanks for that.

That being said, this guy can't coach on gameday or come up with a different game plan depending on our opposition. I am sick and tired of seeing the same drilled in game plan of kick it long to a pack and hope for the best. Any idiot could see that Brissy completely outsize us and have infinite better contested markers all around the ground, yet we persist. You can tell this is literally drummed into the players because they only ever look to the interchange wing at every kick out. Tonight, one kick out went to the opposite side. I don't think I saw a single one last week either. It is literally like watching a Sando coached game from 10 years ago.

Why are we not going okay, our only decent contested mark in TT is injured, so why don't we adjust and play posession football and move the ball forward with short kicks instead of a bomb long or hack kick?

Why is he so obsessed with zone defence. Watching Brissy get the cheapest 20m kick out from our 50 then immediately slice through our press over the top of the zone was just infuriating. How can our coach not see this?

How can you continue to put both Crouch and Laird in centre bounces, you can only put 1...

Sure Curtin didn't play great, but why the actual heck is he playing FULL BACK when our midfield is getting smashed. He had his best game in the SANFL further up the ground, what do you have to lose by just trying him at HB or on a wing? You literally persist with absolute ******* potatoes like McHenry but you won't give genuine A grade talent a crack? Infuriating.

How can you continue to put both Crouch and Laird in centre bounces, you can only put 1...

Sure Curtin didn't play great, but why the actual heck is he playing FULL BACK when our midfield is getting smashed. He had his best game in the SANFL further up the ground, what do you have to lose by just trying him at HB or on a wing? You literally persist with absolute ******* potatoes like McHenry but you won't give genuine A grade talent a crack? Infuriating.
Mmmm .....so a 1 game player was going to be a better midfielder against BRIS than Laird or Crouch ....interesting take

Obviously a game losing move, not having Curtin in the midfield

Mmmm .....so a 1 game player was going to be a better midfielder against BRIS than Laird or Crouch ....interesting take

Obviously a game losing move, not having Curtin in the midfield

You're either deliberately misrepresenting what he's said or have not read it properly because thats actually not what he said at all.

He said to try him at HB or wing at the expense of McHenry, he said nothing about playing him in the guts.

He brought up playing Crouch and Laird in the middle at the same time was madness, which is valid, but that comment was completely disconnected from his point about Curtain so I'm not sure why you're trying to link them together

You're either deliberately misrepresenting what he's said or have not read it properly because thats actually not what he said at all.

He said to try him at HB or wing at the expense of McHenry, he said nothing about playing him in the guts.

He brought up playing Crouch and Laird in the middle at the same time was madness, which is valid, but that comment was completely disconnected from his point about Curtain so I'm not sure why you're trying to link them together
He thru everything into one post .....Curtin Laird, and Crouch ....of course there was an inference

He thru everything into one post .....Curtin Laird, and Crouch ....of course there was an inference
Go back and re-read his post, there's zero inference at all.

He clearly said to try him in HB or on a wing over someone like McHenry, his point about Laird and Crouch was a completely seperate one.

He made a whole heap of different points but they were not connected to each other. The only overarching theme was that Nicks is a mediocre coach.

The only shining light is that we managed to get rid of Sanderson and Pyke with two years left on their contracts.

If, as a club, we can find a way to get rid of the two coaches who have the best winning %'s of coaches at our club, surely we can get rid of the dunce that has the worst winning %?!?!?

Its time for Bucks.

The only shining light is that we managed to get rid of Sanderson and Pyke with two years left on their contracts.

If, as a club, we can find a way to get rid of the two coaches who have the best winning %'s of coaches at our club, surely we can get rid of the dunce that has the worst winning %?!?!?

Its time for Bucks.
By God ....no-one would want that FIGJAM Bucks coaching them ......that guy was so rigid in his thinking

I know it's popular to dump on every Coach ....it's a common theme across most of the Club Boards ......Nicks, who I admire as an upcoming coach, is still getting better competitive outcomes, than the more celebrated Coaches in Ross Lyon, and Clarko

People talk about the BRIS outs .....but their outs were fringe players .....ours in Thilthorpe, Milera, and Murray, were core players

Bad, Bad start to the season ....and yes that's on the Coach ....but also, to ressurect the season as he has, deserves better appreciation than he's received by supporters here .....thankfully the footy World has a much deeper appreciation of Nicks

By God ....no-one would want that FIGJAM Bucks coaching them ......that guy was so rigid in his thinking

I know it's popular to dump on every Coach ....it's a common theme across most of the Club Boards ......Nicks, who I admire as an upcoming coach, is still getting better competitive outcomes, than the more celebrated Coaches in Ross Lyon, and Clarko

People talk about the BRIS outs .....but their outs were fringe players .....ours in Thilthorpe, Milera, and Murray, were core players

Bad, Bad start to the season ....and yes that's on the Coach ....but also, to ressurect the season as he has, deserves better appreciation than he's received by supporters here .....thankfully the footy World has a much deeper appreciation of Nicks

Lol what? Ross Lyon made finals last year

Its time for Bucks.

I think I mentioned this before, Rowie made a comment a few weeks ago that Nicks isn't going anywhere.

He said that the club is 100% committed to Nicks for 2025. Even if 2024 ends badly the club is prepared to take a broom to the assistants and to refresh the box, but Nicks will still be there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will not make finals due to that bad start which you’ve admitted was on the coach, how can you be so forgiving? The mistakes he made early were based on rookie stupid decisions.

Now you reckon he’s resurrected it, ok I’ll ask again:

What do you think of the on-going selection of McHenry?
Making Nank sub?
Our gameplan yesterday where we refused to switch the play instead instead we kept going long to a contest where the Brisbane defenders cleaned up?

And Lyon made the finals last year.

You listen to SEN, you’ve also must have listened to Bucks and how his thoughts on the modern game, he’s not rigid.

Coleman, McCarthy, Starcevich, Doedee and Zac Bailey are fringe players?

Surely you don't believe that...

We will not make finals due to that bad start which you’ve admitted was on the coach, how can you be so forgiving? The mistakes he made early were based on rookie stupid decisions.

Now you reckon he’s resurrected it, ok I’ll ask again:

What do you think of the on-going selection of McHenry?
Making Nank sub?
Our gameplan yesterday where we refused to switch the play instead instead we kept going long to a contest where the Brisbane defenders cleaned up?

And Lyon made the finals last year.

You listen to SEN, you’ve also must have listened to Bucks and how his thoughts on the modern game, he’s not rigid.

If you were to tell me that there was someone out there that thought Nicks is a better coach than Buckley I would have accused you of making s**t up.

Even after seeing it now with my own eyes I still can't believe it 😳

Milera is a core player and Bailey is fringe?
Lol.

Coleman, McCarthy, Starcevich, Doedee and Zac Bailey are fringe players?

Surely you don't believe that...
And there's this lad called Will Ashcroft out - can play a bit so I hear!!!!!!

12 hours?
giphy.gif

I'd have Bucks every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

As coach.

He's learned a lot and I think he's got lot's to give.

Back