Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd have Bucks every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

As coach.

He's learned a lot and I think he's got lot's to give.
Bucks won't Coach again .....same as Hodge, too cushy and well paid job in the media

Hodge was supposed to be the next big thing, coaching wise

I appreciate that Nicks came to the club at a difficult time and corrected some of the post camp things and the place generally seems better. Thanks for that.

That being said, this guy can't coach on gameday or come up with a different game plan depending on our opposition. I am sick and tired of seeing the same drilled in game plan of kick it long to a pack and hope for the best. Any idiot could see that Brissy completely outsize us and have infinite better contested markers all around the ground, yet we persist. You can tell this is literally drummed into the players because they only ever look to the interchange wing at every kick out. Tonight, one kick out went to the opposite side. I don't think I saw a single one last week either. It is literally like watching a Sando coached game from 10 years ago.

Why are we not going okay, our only decent contested mark in TT is injured, so why don't we adjust and play posession football and move the ball forward with short kicks instead of a bomb long or hack kick?

Why is he so obsessed with zone defence. Watching Brissy get the cheapest 20m kick out from our 50 then immediately slice through our press over the top of the zone was just infuriating. How can our coach not see this?

How can you continue to put both Crouch and Laird in centre bounces, you can only put 1...

Sure Curtin didn't play great, but why the actual heck is he playing FULL BACK when our midfield is getting smashed. He had his best game in the SANFL further up the ground, what do you have to lose by just trying him at HB or on a wing? You literally persist with absolute ******* potatoes like McHenry but you won't give genuine A grade talent a crack? Infuriating.
Great post.

Echoes my sentiments largely now over his tenure but also this season in particular I feel he's being found out tactically. Drove me nuts how we let them do their short kicking game & he NEVER got the players to close it down, even for 15 minutes to disrupt the flow & force them to adjust.

I'm grateful for the beginning of his tenure, he did seem to improve the culture but unfortunately he comes from that Sydney era & still very much has the "experience is what really matters mentality."

Now it is true we need some to ensure we dont end up like Hawthorn are many weeks & worse North Melbourne, it's not a myth that you need some. On the other hand when someone has been playing as bad as Smith has this year he needs to be told you're back in SANFL for a couple weeks, get some real form then we'll see. Not just keep backing him in at the expense of the young guys who are showing a bit eg Nank.

Trouble is also at some point you need to start empowering the younger players with greater responsibility, I just feel he's too cautious to truly do it. Like yes he'll do it with Soligo who obviously made it easy. But he tries it with anyone else if they don't do as well as Soligo he just gives up on it right away rather than letting some guys try grow into the role. Yes it may mean a bit of extra short term pain but he doesn't seem willing to do that and instead we get the pain of the same old a bit too much.

I know it's popular to dump on every Coach ....it's a common theme across most of the Club Boards ......Nicks, who I admire as an upcoming coach, is still getting better competitive outcomes, than the more celebrated Coaches in Ross Lyon, and Clarko

Nicks is an upcoming coach? He will hit the 100 game mark by the end of the season??!?!

People talk about the BRIS outs .....but their outs were fringe players .....ours in Thilthorpe, Milera, and Murray, were core players

Ashcroft, Bailey and Coleman are fringe? No way.

Sure they were also missing Starcevich, Answerth, Doedee, McCarthy, Gardiner who could be considered Fringe.

Bad, Bad start to the season ....and yes that's on the Coach ....but also, to ressurect the season as he has, deserves better appreciation than he's received by supporters here .....thankfully the footy World has a much deeper appreciation of Nicks

Do they?

As coach.

Especially paying out his ex-wife 😉

Nicks says he won't shy away from pulling a similar move in the future.

"We'll continue to use that sub role as an impact player. We will take some risks around it," Nicks said post-match.

"There's always a risk involved when you make that change. I thought 'Nank' came on and had an impact on the game. In hindsight, which is a really easy thing to say, it would have been great to still have that up our sleeve, but we'll continue to work the same way with that sub role."

Paraphrasing: In hindsight, it was a mistake. But we will gladly keep making that mistake.

He truly thinks they've reinvented the wheel by calling it an "impact sub". Like we've discovered something the other 17 clubs haven't been smart enough to think of.

"Nank came on and had an impact". His output playing exactly half a game was almost exactly half of his usual output this year (averaged 16.6 touches before this week, got 8 yesterday). That's not an "impact". That's just half a game.

As coach.

If you honestly think the coach is holding this club back from a premiership for the past 26 years there isn’t much to say

Having Buckley Clarkson Scott McRae Goodwin would not win us a premiership

It’s as clear as day that we cannot recruit a list that would be sufficient for the best coach in the league

Firstly it’s the board for not getting an A Grade recruitment department get rid of the hacks we presently have

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Though, I'd rather have new assistants than keep the basement bargain ones we've got.... just sayin'.
Unfortunately I think the next lot will be bargain basement again

It's more about different voices than quality

Burns , Rahilly and VB were meant to be our elite group

Paraphrasing: In hindsight, it was a mistake. But we will gladly keep making that mistake.

He truly thinks they've reinvented the wheel by calling it an "impact sub". Like we've discovered something the other 17 clubs haven't been smart enough to think of.

"Nank came on and had an impact". His output playing exactly half a game was almost exactly half of his usual output this year (averaged 16.6 touches before this week, got 8 yesterday). That's not an "impact". That's just half a game.
I wouldn't describe any player subbed on into a team's defence as an "impact" player. Btw, Bucks & Pendlebury quoted as saying the sub should be scrapped - then what would Nicks do!!!

Unfortunately I think the next lot will be bargain basement again

It's more about different voices than quality

Burns , Rahilly and VB were meant to be our elite group

I miss Rahilly 😪

5th year apprentice. Repeatedly experiencing learning opportunities, that is opportunities to repeat the same mistakes and then blame others.

As much as I can't stand our little brother, the coaches take responsibility for poor performance when it's a coaching issue.

Back