Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

In the clip of Blight talking about Shane Ellen he said ' I just saw something and I thought I would keep it in mind '

Process driven coaches don't think of things like that
Shane Ellen would have played in the sanfl or been traded under nicks.

He was only ever a fringe player. Just happened to play in 2 flags, and cement himself in folklore playing the game of his life in the 97 gf.
Shit - he was way better fringe quality than what we have to suffer through now.

Give me a Shane Ellen as a fringe player any day.

Well actually, are Ned and Murph even considered fringe players by the coach?

They are clearly both on Big Footy. Id be surprised more so to learn someone wasn't on it. Penbo is clearly a certain poster on here or they coincidently write how penbo speaks.

Sounds like he has read a lot of my posts.

Penbo has spoken about Big footy on air before and it wasnt high praise, it was a couple years ago and i dont remember what he said though

In the clip of Blight talking about Shane Ellen he said ' I just saw something and I thought I would keep it in mind '

Process driven coaches don't think of things like that

The other thing is, I got the impression it was much earlier in the year he saw it.

Kept it up his sleeve and remembered it the week of the GF.

He knew it was only going to work once.

Penbo has spoken about Big footy on air before and it wasnt high praise, it was a couple years ago and i dont remember what he said though
I think it was in relation to the commentary and language around Kate Ellis

No FAITH I am not Penbo

s**t - he was way better fringe quality than what we have to suffer through now.

Give me a Shane Ellen as a fringe player any day.

Well actually, are Ned and Murph even considered fringe players by the coach?

The fringe players in those sides could hit targets, they weren’t stars but they were footballers.

People don’t really understand that James Thiessen fringe is much different from Ben Keays fringe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed Graham also used a phrase I've previously dropped here over the years "persecution complex"

It is true though that there is a massive persecution complex in SA footy.

I think the mentality goes back to the late 80s when the SA footy media were massively pushing the Anti-Victoria narrative and used to claim that Victoria was jealous of SA and how their ultimate goal was to "destroy the SANFL". I suspect the SANFL were very much part of it too.

While promoting that mentality used to work a treat to promote the State of Origin games, unfortunately that mentality eventually became endemic with the SA football public and created a culture of having a persecution complex and people believing that the AFL has some sort of hidden agenda against the Crows for some inexplicable reason.

I've seen people on here who actually believe that the AFL has some secret agenda against the club and everything is part of some big conspiracy to ensure that the Crows aren't successful.

You're right it wasn't positive praise.

He called us something along the lines of "Football Nerds" and said something similar to "those football nerds who don't have lives that just spend their lives sitting around all day on forums over analyzing football"

The other thing is, I got the impression it was much earlier in the year he saw it.

Kept it up his sleeve and remembered it the week of the GF.

He knew it was only going to work once.
He saw him do it for a quarter at South Adelaide. Thought he timed his leads well and tucked it away.

You're right it wasn't positive praise.

He called us something along the lines of "Football Nerds" and said something similar to "those football nerds who don't have lives that just spend their lives sitting around all day on forums over analyzing football"
He's got us pegged alright

While promoting that mentality used to work a treat to promote the State of Origin games, unfortunately that mentality eventually became endemic with the SA football public and created a culture of having a persecution complex and people believing that the AFL has some sort of hidden agenda against the Crows for some inexplicable reason.
Thinking back, I remember having and being a part of an anti-Vic bias amongst my mates when it came to SANFL/VFL. It was a part of the Beers Wars at that time (Southwark/West End vs Fosters/ Carlton Draught/Vic Bitter). Was there an air of 'persecution complex'? Not sure.
But there was certainly an active rivalry.
I've seen people on here who actually believe that the AFL has some secret agenda against the club and everything is part of some big conspiracy to ensure that the Crows aren't successful.
My personal opinion is that it's not secret, lol.
However, I wouldn't say that they want us to fail as much as they want ex-VFL and new franchise teams to succeed ahead of us. I'd have thought that was obvious.

Brisbane have been getting their mojo back in a big way in the last few games, likewise with the Pies. Brisbane in particular, has been having a huge surge in scoring output. Pies back to their scraping close wins. The point being, we’re now not far off the mark, unlike the debacle mess we were in at the round 4 mark.

I agree that we’re not far off the mark.

The issue is we’re being consistently undone by the same issues and there doesn’t seem to be improvements being made.

We know this squad can compete, at some point it needs to start winning.

From the moment after we hit the front on Saturday it was clear that:

A) we aren’t coached effectively to manage that situation.
B) we have several players who can’t handle those moments.

Option A is definitely on Nicks, he’s had five years with this group. Option B is partly on him for not developing those guys and continuing to select them.

Typically that's a justification for our own club's incompetence
It's often the same people who are angry at the club for being shit though. In one breath it's 'this club is hopeless and run by incompetent morons', and the next it's the umpires or the AFL being intentionally biased against the Crows. I think the core issue might be a tendency towards emotional hyperbole rather than a desire to defend the club.

Club criticisms are fine and can be debated on their merits. Never sure what to make of the conspiracy theory stuff.

Back