Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking back, I remember having and being a part of an anti-Vic bias amongst my mates when it came to SANFL/VFL. It was a part of the Beers Wars at that time (Southwark/West End vs Fosters/ Carlton Draught/Vic Bitter). Was there an air of 'persecution complex'? Not sure.
But there was certainly an active rivalry.

My personal opinion is that it's not secret, lol.
However, I wouldn't say that they want us to fail as much as they want ex-VFL and new franchise teams to succeed ahead of us. I'd have thought that was obvious.

I think the deck is definitely stacked to a degree towards the Vic teams with the GF being at the MCG every year and how the Vic sides have an unfair advantage in attracting players.

That's where the advantages stop though, any thoughts about corrupt umpiring etc is just tinfoil hat stuff and not based on reality.

Ultimately the club hasn't been anywhere near as successful as it should have been and it only has itself to blame.

You're right it wasn't positive praise.

He called us something along the lines of "Football Nerds" and said something similar to "those football nerds who don't have lives that just spend their lives sitting around all day on forums over analyzing football"

yea that sounds like what he said

I think the deck is definitely stacked to a degree towards the Vic teams with the GF being at the MCG every year and how the Vic sides have an unfair advantage in attracting players.

That's where the advantages stop though, any thoughts about corrupt umpiring etc is just tinfoil hat stuff and not based on reality.

Ultimately the club hasn't been anywhere near as successful as it should have been and it only has itself to blame.
The SA and WA clubs are almost like that Don Draper "I don't even think about you" meme with the AFL i'd guess.

Generally both states get fans, both through the gates and on the TV screen so the AFL don't care about us one way or the other. We make money for them, so they don't pay much attention. They care about those VIC sides who are struggling and the other Eastern state sides in markets they want to squeeze more money from.

I think the deck is definitely stacked to a degree towards the Vic teams with the GF being at the MCG every year
Well, that's the most obvious one, for sure.
How about sympathy "priority picks" for underperforming ex-VFL teams and new franchisees (the GCS should have won a couple of Flags by now with the talent they were gifted via advantageous drafts); many other examples.

and how the Vic sides have an unfair advantage in attracting players.
In what way/s, please?
With respect, if Melbourne is preferred as a place to live by players, to be fair that's not the AFL's fault.
I agree; that's paranoia. But I did not mention Umpires.
Agree, totally.
The Crows need a bigger broom to sweep through our Admin., Coach, assistants and players, in another rebuild.
Hopefully, a new mob which has learned from the last 7 years.

You're right it wasn't positive praise.

He called us something along the lines of "Football Nerds" and said something similar to "those football nerds who don't have lives that just spend their lives sitting around all day on forums over analyzing football"
He was talking about the mods.

And that one is a Collingwood supporter.

Said that Dr John Who isn’t a real doctor. And that Wayne doesn’t get shape.

The SA and WA clubs are almost like that Don Draper "I don't even think about you" meme with the AFL i'd guess.

Generally both states get fans, both through the gates and on the TV screen so the AFL don't care about us one way or the other. We make money for them, so they don't pay much attention. They care about those VIC sides who are struggling and the other Eastern state sides in markets they want to squeeze more money from.
The other thing they will always do is keep the effective voting bloc balance through supporting these financial basket cases

We all know - and have no emotional attachment - to sides like St Kilda, Bulldogs or North - so its easy to say get rid of them ( I would in a heartbeat) but the vFL will move mountains to keep them

It was weird. They spent a whole hour of the show talking about Samcro.

Their ratings plummeted.
Lies No GIF

It is true though that there is a massive persecution complex in SA footy.

I think the mentality goes back to the late 80s when the SA footy media were massively pushing the Anti-Victoria narrative and used to claim that Victoria was jealous of SA and how their ultimate goal was to "destroy the SANFL". I suspect the SANFL were very much part of it too.

While promoting that mentality used to work a treat to promote the State of Origin games, unfortunately that mentality eventually became endemic with the SA football public and created a culture of having a persecution complex and people believing that the AFL has some sort of hidden agenda against the Crows for some inexplicable reason.

I've seen people on here who actually believe that the AFL has some secret agenda against the club and everything is part of some big conspiracy to ensure that the Crows aren't successful.
Yes it is true unfortunately .....and you're correct about when it started .....however it was essentially KG Cunningham & Cornes, and 5AA, that championed that chip on the shoulder attitude towards Victoria .....the ol "Kick-A-Vic" slogan

It won 5AA a lot of listeners, and made their reputations as staunch Sth Aussies .... and, as media does, influenced people's opinions, which has continued & propagated

Frankly, the people in MELB don't give Sth Aust a 2nd thought .....but IMO the little brother thinking has certainly been detrimental

I relocated to MELB in 89 ....and I remember being genuinely worried my car with Vic number plates, would be vandalised after losing the F1 Grand Prix to Victoria
I don't think that animosity exists in any other state in Australia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In what way/s, please?
With respect, if Melbourne is preferred as a place to live by players, to be fair that's not the AFL's fault.

It's not the AFL doing, but it is a reality that the non Vic sides have always struggled to retain talent.

The sheer number of sides in Victoria mean that there will always a team that has something unique to offer a player. Either a side will be close to a flag so that they have that appeal or another Vic club might have a large chunk of cap space free to offer a huge contract.

You also have the livability in Melbourne and how the AFL is hugely Victoria-centric so there's all the media and promotional opportunities too.

Again none of this is the AFL doing, but they have put their heads in the sand and ignored it as an issue and the Vic-centric media refuse to acknowledge it.

I guess the problem if it was acknowledged then the AFL would have to work on ways to counteract it so it's just easier to pretend that it doesn't exist.

Yes it is true unfortunately .....and you're correct about when it started .....however it was essentially KG Cunningham & Cornes, and 5AA, that championed that chip on the shoulder attitude towards Victoria .....the ol "Kick-A-Vic" slogan

It won 5AA a lot of listeners, and made their reputations as staunch Sth Aussies .... and, as media does, influenced people's opinions, which has continued & propagated

Frankly, the people in MELB don't give Sth Aust a 2nd thought .....but IMO the little brother thinking has certainly been detrimental

I relocated to MELB in 89 ....and I remember being genuinely worried my car with Vic number plates, would be vandalised after losing the F1 Grand Prix to Victoria
I don't think that animosity exists in any other state in Australia

Suppose Ted Whitten had the same chip on his shoulder?

what… bunkum

I can't see him leading us into a finals campaign at this point. You can draw a line through the magic p word.

What the **** are you doing on an online forum then? If you aren't interested in alternative viewpoints, you shouldn't be on the internet.
If you’re interested in alternative viewpoints then why the **** are you mocking my alternative view point?

I come on here for a discussion, doesn’t mean I have to absorb others’ opinions. You think what you want to think, and I do my own thinking.

InB4 Samcro with his jealous psychotic angry anti-Norwood prejudice.
Such a disappointing club. You’d think they’d have given us something over the journey.

B&F? Nup
Captain? Nope
Leading goal kicker? Nada

We’re not counting Tex, Nord was just his temporary club while Neil taught him how to keep his man boundary side.

Here’s the best part- One single solitary lonely all Australian selection - Nathan Bassett. One!

James Tiffany Amber Thiessen can’t even spell his surname right.

Some say Brett James was a great footballer, can you even be called a great footballer if you only handball?

Pitman was pathetic.

I keep hearing about Gary the GOAT but can’t for the life of me see what AFL club he played for. Do you mean Ablett? The other best player was a skinny religious fella who also didn’t play at the top level. I sense a pattern.

As far as I can tell, the only thing Nord has contributed to the AFC is two thirds of the club colours.

/rant

I agree that we’re not far off the mark.

The issue is we’re being consistently undone by the same issues and there doesn’t seem to be improvements being made.

We know this squad can compete, at some point it needs to start winning.

From the moment after we hit the front on Saturday it was clear that:

A) we aren’t coached effectively to manage that situation.
B) we have several players who can’t handle those moments.

Option A is definitely on Nicks, he’s had five years with this group. Option B is partly on him for not developing those guys and continuing to select them.
I think there is a general misconception that I’m just blindly defending Nicks as if he’s my dad (he’s not). My take is about the overall results being both a coaching issue as well as plenty of players being out of form in the early season compared with last year.

I also think our depth is still not quite up to standard in the now. Which is likely to cause us a more de-stabilising effect when we have injuries or regulars being out of form.

My concern is that Matthew Nicks appears not to have the confidence in himself to coach as effectively as he'd like. He doesn't inspire, doesn't incentivise, doesn't reward, doesn't appear to "psychologically journey" with his players. Doesn't overtly display the passion of winning or losing. Doesn't support his players by standing by them or up for them. He dispassionate and too controlled in his response to the umpires recently, the close losses recently, the clear failings of senior players recently. If this is true, he's failing as head coach. He becomes someone who is meant to lead, but has few passionate followers.

I wonder what Mrs Curtin thinks about the 2023 draft now?

I liked Matthew Nicks once, but I'm now convinced he's a primary teacher, and not the guy who can prepare his students for a football equivalent of a year 12 exam. I'd prefer an old #Cr#CrowBloke😁
You prefer old #CrowBloke or #OldCrowBloke?
Or #old(1 + #CrowBloke)?
Solve for CrowBloke.

It is true though that there is a massive persecution complex in SA footy.

I think the mentality goes back to the late 80s when the SA footy media were massively pushing the Anti-Victoria narrative and used to claim that Victoria was jealous of SA and how their ultimate goal was to "destroy the SANFL". I suspect the SANFL were very much part of it too.

While promoting that mentality used to work a treat to promote the State of Origin games, unfortunately that mentality eventually became endemic with the SA football public and created a culture of having a persecution complex and people believing that the AFL has some sort of hidden agenda against the Crows for some inexplicable reason.

I've seen people on here who actually believe that the AFL has some secret agenda against the club and everything is part of some big conspiracy to ensure that the Crows aren't successful.
Mate you’ve got a SANFL persecution complex!

I think there is a general misconception that I’m just blindly defending Nicks as if he’s my dad (he’s not). My take is about the overall results being both a coaching issue as well as plenty of players being out of form in the early season compared with last year.

I also think our depth is still not quite up to standard in the now. Which is likely to cause us a more de-stabilising effect when we have injuries or regulars being out of form.

Which depth isn't up to it, name names.

Back