Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s not the only reason we missed finals. Just the only one that can be blamed on someone/something outside the club. Selection cost us more games than goal umpiring errors with 30 seconds to go.
It's not the only reason, absolutely, the whole season was up and down.

Let's hope for a much better year this year, we need to make finals.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we stayed on the Ground instead of electing to use a coolroom @ halftime vs Gold Coast and everything else stayed the same, we would have definately played finals maybe.

It's not the only reason, absolutely, the whole season was up and down.

Let's hope for a much better year this year, we need to make finals.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We don't need to make finals. We need to be developing a group that can contend around the top 4 for multiple years. And we need a coaching group that make the decisions required to win a flag. It's a game won and lost on the margins. Nobody is playing Tex, TT or Fog behind the ball, it's not even a decision, everybody gets that right. The difference is in which direction you head when you've got an actual decision to make. And this is where my view is that our club constantly fails us.

Richmond game we went short.

Starting Dawson in defence.

Soligo subbed out.

Sloane starting against Sydney and Pedlar as sub.

Yep no games impacted by selection.

Forgot about the Richmond game

Soligo - management of a young player. We just didn’t play well enough in that last quarter

Sydney game - a hindsight call, that was Peds best game of the year (just about) and perhaps Peds produced like that because he had been managed, came on fresher after the heat was out of the game

Dawson - has been talked about a million times. Most people wanted him on a wing - not inside mid so you could argue almost everyone was wrong on that selection

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Soligo - management of a young player. We just didn’t play well enough in that last quarter

Sydney game - a hindsight call, that was Peds best game of the year (just about) and perhaps Peds produced like that because he had been managed, came on fresher after the heat was out of the game

Dawson - has been talked about a million times. Most people wanted him on a wing - not inside mid so you could argue almost everyone was wrong on that selection

Given nicks admitted wrongdoing in the Soligo situation you have to chalk that up as a mistake/selection error.

Blah blah blah.

Error, error, error, error no matter how you want to justify. You asked for examples, if you’re going to try and excuse them why ask?

I like what Nicks has done over the rebuild and the culture he has created BUT I don’t think any other team will try and prise him away. So let’s not do a port power and resign him yet, let wait until later in the year to see how he goes before we make a decision . In the end it’s about making finals and winning flag

And how many games did we lose at selection?

All games that he didn't pick Crouch and he sacrificed the centre clearances under a misguided approach to team balance. When he picked McHenry and Sholl for 16 straight games regardless of loss. When he picked the same 22 players every week, only making forced changes. So 24 players played 16 straight games for us. That was a massive blunder at selection and easily cost us games. We were tired and players had golden ticket syndrome because they could have a s**t game and be selected the next week. Oh sorry, may be demoted to the sub. Anyone who says we didnt lose games due to selection last year is simply not looking close enough.

We don't need to make finals. We need to be developing a group that can contend around the top 4 for multiple years. And we need a coaching group that make the decisions required to win a flag. It's a game won and lost on the margins. Nobody is playing Tex, TT or Fog behind the ball, it's not even a decision, everybody gets that right. The difference is in which direction you head when you've got an actual decision to make. And this is where my view is that our club constantly fails us.

I think we have got that team in place, and that we need to put finals experience into them. I also think we may have a better team this year than next year, and that Walker, Laird, Crouch and Smith are all here now and we need to capitalise on that.

I agree with everything else you have said, but not to make finals is a regression or stagnation. I love that we got pick 8 last year, but we should be hitting the trade and f.a. over the next couple of years while improving our win-loss (particularly away form). Draft picks no longer matter, and this is how we will contend top 4 from 2025-2030.

I think the club and coach would be looking at finals as a requirement - which is perhaps where the need for the coach vs the need for the team differs, but 6 years is enough for me and my family. The time is now, not later.

I have to say, the selections for the trial match were uninspiring and a let down. I hope this isn't a sign to come. Of the fringe players Berry is a tick but Sholl and McHenry at the expense of some young talent looking for opportunities seems like a waste.

You have to remember that trial games count in terms of building continuity credits.

Seriously what is the rush... particularly when they mentioned Silvers has said the club expects to make finals this year.

The club is going to look silly if they re-sign Nicks before the season starts & we have a season where we are not in the finals hunt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

( I already feel he has signed but this is a thought bubble )

With Thilthorpe off for half the season do we forgive Nicks if we dont make finals or should a good coach be variable and able to switch things up ie Clarkos soldiers replace soldiers?

I personally think good coaches cover and plan for injury and adapt better than bad coaches

With Thilthorpe off for half the season do we forgive Nicks if we dont make finals or should a good coach be variable and able to switch things up ie Clarkos soldiers replace soldiers?

I personally think good coaches cover and plan for injury and adapt better than bad coaches
no making finals should still be the minimum

Even with him there I don’t think he was going to be the big piece just yet.

I don't think so, we had a good injury run comparatively last season and didn't make it.

Last edited:

Thilthorpe isn't that important at this stage.

Now, if it's Dawson who gets whacked with the LTI stick, I'm willing to forgive Nicks if we don't, as that would be the equivalent of ripping a HoF level quarterback out of an NFL side. Make no mistake, this team is built for Dawson. Equally, there is a point where enough injuries to the core and I'd be comfortable if we write this season off, seeing there is a point teams will break down if enough of your top tier players break.

However, decently clean bill of health and a healthy Dawson should put a lot of scrutiny on Nicks if he doesn't. After all, that's where 2023 comes back to bite Nicks as really, Adelaide should have a semi or preliminary final under their belts by now.

reading between the lines.

• Nicks wants a pay rise and a long term extension. 3 years. (most likely)
  • Crows probably are offering 2 with a smaller pay rise.

Crows look like they want the season to dictate Nicks future. Before upping the offer.

Is it smart?

Yes. I dont understand the need to rush a contract for a coach who has yet to bring us to finals and in his 5th year. Basically its up to Nicks to earn the contract he wants.

Back