Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Cahil was SANFL. Giniver also is stuck in SANFL days as are a lot of Port supporters.

In a comp of 18 teams in a professional era of footy. You cannot compare. We all want a flag. Its bloody hard ti get though.
I get that but its that mentality of always wanting to be the best and win it all and when you come up short regardless of whats gone on in season, its ultimately a wasted season.

Jack Cahil was SANFL. Giniver also is stuck in SANFL days as are a lot of Port supporters.

In a comp of 18 teams in a professional era of footy. You cannot compare. We all want a flag. Its bloody hard ti get though.
The only difference is there are twice as many teams, so maybe Port could halve their expectations, which if they did they are still well unders.

I like to think that a Par is a flag every 18 years (adjusted for when new teams were added). On that, we are now a fail.

"stopping the noise" is such an irritating way to justify that decision. It's like they're trying to offload blame to the media for their own overestimation of Nick's abilities.
It's why players get signed early. It's why the club can't hold firm when a Sloane uses the media to get extensions

I’m reading a lot of “they misread this, they misjudged that, they didn’t read the room, they didn’t hear the fans” etc

I want to say something to you all that will (hopefully) leave zero doubt in your mind about what’s going on here.

These people do not care what you think. They do not care what members think. They do not care what fans think. If it appears like they are not reading the room it is because they DO NOT CARE about reading the room.

Crows fans really need to understand who and what these people are. I can’t be more clear and unequivocal about this.

The board of the AFC does not give one infinitesimal f*ck about what members think. It is not on their radar and never has been, not even for a second.

You all really have to get this through your head to truly understand what is happening — and what has been happening for many years — at that football club.

I've been saying this for years.

The club was originally established around being solely answerable to the SANFL. All the KPIs and strategic focus for the club for the better part of 20+ years was based around delivering the best result for the SANFL.

As long as they were appeasing the SANFL it didn't ultimately matter what the average Joe Blow at the football thought because they were not answerable to them.

It's an ingrained culture at the club and until such time as we actually have a board is that is answerable to their members it will continue to be an issue.

It's an ingrained culture at the club and until such time as we actually have a board is that is answerable to their members it will continue to be an issue.
will never happen while we members are referred to as customers..

It's why players get signed early. It's why the club can't hold firm when a Sloane uses the media to get extensions
Which is especially interesting because when the media asks literally any player or official about what the media/fans are saying and the response will inevitably be "We don't listen to outside noise. We concentrate on what's going on inside these 4 walls."

Media/fans pointing out the club's shortcomings, what we're doing wrong, and what we should be fixing = external noise, don't listen, they have no idea about our internal operations

Media/fans potentially asking about coach's future = distracting, must be solved immediately

Last edited:
"stopping the noise" is such an irritating way to justify that decision. It's like they're trying to offload blame to the media for their own overestimation of Nick's abilities.
Yep

How insecure are we?

A few people wondering if/when Nicks will be re-signed is enough to upset the whole apple cart?

Sounds like a pretty fragile organisation

I am 10000% convinced we were not sold on Nicks. If we were invested in him, he would have been re-signed last year. I think the decision was 50/50 at best, but the decision maker fell on the for side. Which is a massive indictment on their ability to make decisions within a professional football club environment.
I agree partially with this

Imho we desperately wanted to sign him but knew we couldn't given no finals and only the promise of a better future

So we delayed it

Then we lost Round 1 and they looked at it. Hmmm... we're still really young, Tex is nursing a back, Thilthorpe out. We might lose a bunch more games here.

Quick! Announce the re-signing now before the losses pile up and we won't be able to. If things go bad we'll ride it out. We survived 2020. Nicks all the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club was originally established around being solely answerable to the SANFL. All the KPIs and strategic focus for the club for the better part of 20+ years was based around delivering the best result for the SANFL.

As long as they were appeasing the SANFL it didn't ultimately matter what the average Joe Blow at the football thought because they were not answerable to them.

Was the SANFL, now it’s the AFL. Which is, somehow, much worse.

Quick! Announce the re-signing now before the losses pile up and we won't be able to. If things go bad we'll ride it out. We survived 2020. Nicks all the way.
Correct. This is exactly how I envisaged it probably went down in reappointing Nicks. It makes no sense otherwise.

We have rewarded Nicks, regardless of his performance this year. A good Club would have waited till post mid season.

I still think that it was agreed to before the season and we trotted it out as a feel good announcement after the loss, like they do with player signings.

I suspect they've seriously misread how much they think that people like Nicks.

It could really come back to bite the club.

Last they heard was he was highly regarded in the industry and we were definitely on the right track. They’d have assumed the love in would continue even if we lost games. It’s funny that the coaching is what’s being slammed most. Nowhere to hide having unnecessarily extended his contract.

Footy Classified showed an interview from Silvers on the weekend, he said they re-signed him to stop the noise. He’s a person and the speculation would impact him. Also said they were invested in him and he in the club.

The stupid thing about that strategy is if we started poorly which we have, the noise will turn to why did you sign him when there was no need to rush. There’s still noise just a different noise but now you have to deal with a new contract if we need to move him on.
They aren't a serious club.

What argument is there that Nicks is basically Hinkley?

He’s not got that sort of achievement under his belt

I don’t think they appear too different philosophically. Hinkley has benefitted from more and better targeted trading and higher quality midfields. But I don’t reckon there’s much difference in how they go about it.

Footy Classified showed an interview from Silvers on the weekend, he said they re-signed him to stop the noise. He’s a person and the speculation would impact him. Also said they were invested in him and he in the club.

The stupid thing about that strategy is if we started poorly which we have, the noise will turn to why did you sign him when there was no need to rush. There’s still noise just a different noise but now you have to deal with a new contract if we need to move him on.

Weak and pathetic, and fully expected. Imagine the noise if we’re 0-10, solution, extend for 2 years. I mean, seriously, it’s as bad as Trigg gloating about putting Neil on staff when that noise started rising.

Has Malcolm Blight fallen into line?

Hasn’t been critical of Nicks or his re-signing.

In the past he’s gone to town on coaches who aren’t attacking and try and slow the game down, we lost on the weekend because of stupid coaching and it’s crickets.

Has Malcolm Blight fallen into line?

Hasn’t been critical of Nicks or his re-signing.

In the past he’s gone to town on coaches who aren’t attacking and try and slow the game down, we lost on the weekend because of stupid coaching and it’s crickets.
We attacked plenty, just dumbly

Nicks' is generally an attacking coach. We were good to watch at times last season

What's hurt about the last two weeks is that we played nothing like us and nothing like what Nicks was seemingly building last season

We attacked plenty, just dumbly

Nicks' is generally an attacking coach. We were good to watch at times last season

What's hurt about the last two weeks is that we played nothing like us and nothing like what Nicks was seemingly building last season
You don’t reckon we were slow to move the ball looking for short passes only for us to then bomb it long?

I didn’t see much playing on from a mark or overlap run.

You don’t reckon we were slow to move the ball looking for short passes only for us to then bomb it long?

I didn’t see much playing on from a mark or overlap run.
I actually think we were so scared of Stewart we played right into his hands

'' uh no we didnt have a plan for Stewart - you cant uhh plan for good players''

' man that chip pass plan didnt work what are we gonna say'

this post feels 100% spot on.

Sorry probably the wrong thread, but aren't we forecast to at least pretend to remove the AFL control of the board in 2028?

Back