Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

That Rachele had zero CBA’s is no reason to blame Nicks; Rash is terrible at centre square stoppages

The reason to blame Nicks is for the lack of development where Rash is terrible at centre square stoppages
Except this wasn't the case for the first 7 weeks of last year when Rachele transitioned into the midfield and average 20 disposals and kicked 10.10 that even Southerntakeover commented "he will have fun at Collingwood" after seeing he can play midfield at a very high level.

Like I said, this is MM's 2nd year so his form might drop off like the other youngster or he might not. Berry looked like AFL standard in his 2nd year and was consistent for the entire year playing in the midfield, Rachele was consistent AFL standard for a majority of his 1st year playing in the forward line and faded late in the season which is expected for a 1st year draftee and then perform consistently when he transition into the midfield last year for 7 weeks and again faded, same as Soligo and Worrell is similar to MM and his form might also dip like MM.

Rozee and Butters both had down second years - but Port kept exposing them to AFL footy instead of stifling their development in the Magoos. They are now reaping the rewards. We on the other hand are too scared to go down this path.

Rozee and Butters both had down second years - but Port kept exposing them to AFL footy instead of stifling their development in the Magoos. They are now reaping the rewards. We on the other hand are too scared to go down this path.
We played Berry for the first few games last year and he was beyond horrible and didn't regain his form even in the SANFL (honestly look like a bust right now) and think Rachele and Soligo was dropped for a game? Agree on Schoenberg but then a lot of posters wanted him drop and still think he is a bust.

He's leaned heavily into his core beliefs on what he thinks will make the team succeed and we've looked worse than ever. He's in the denial stage I would guess, he'll be telling himself he made the right moves, they just need more time to click.

So that means minimal personnel changes, stick to your guns, he's not being stubborn, he's doing the right thing, it'll work eventually.
Which includes , among other things , that playing laird and crouch in the same midfield will work! We are 5 years into the rebuild and haven’t got any new players getting significant midfield minutes. Even solego can’t get in there for a significant amount of minutes ffs !

Which includes , among other things , that playing laird and crouch in the same midfield will work! We are 5 years into the rebuild and haven’t got any new players getting significant midfield minutes. Even solego can’t get in there for a significant amount of minutes ffs !
Laird and Crouch worked late last year with that game plan but not this defense game plan as they are too slow to man their opposition midfielder and Rachele average 20 disposals and kicked 10.10 in his first 7 weeks.
1711757529776.png

Laird and Crouch worked late last year with that game plan but not this defense game plan as they are too slow to man their opposition midfielder and Rachele average 20 disposals and kicked 10.10 in his first 7 weeks.
View attachment 1943784
I haven’t had the guts to listen to nicks drivel on after match. HS he even acknowledged the game plan has changed drastically? It’s a pile of 💩

Nicks brought in a mantra of “prioritise other” which was needed at the time of his appointment and after the camp. This mantra helped change the culture and selfish attitudes of senior players.

However it was time to move away from this mantra as it is now part of the club DNA and it was time to challenge again.

The “prioritise others” mantra forms the basis of leadership group selection criteria, this is why we have players like Hinge, Murphy, Smith and ROB in the leadership group, they show great care for others but don’t get it done on game day.

We have now systematically prioritised showing caee over results.

Our season is now following a disastrous off-season, poor recruiting and couldn’t attract a high quality assistant, this is not all in Nicks, it’s a club issue.

Our CEO comes from a previous environment where keeping the band together led to success, but the lead singer of that band was a guy named Clarkson.

Nicks won’t be sacked but he and the club need to change, evolve and make some tough decisions on the program

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our senior players are still self absorbed. They prioritise nobody apart from themselves.

A workmate of mine is a Nicks fan and travelled West to watch this game. A bigger person than me would say that watching this live was punishment enough and leave him alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our club not just the midfield is completely vanilla custard that is about to curdle .
Years of bad picks and poor trading will do that. Our list management is the worst ever seen in the afl by a margin. Roo thinks he's doing a great job.

Because Nicks sold them his new more defense game plan is needed to make Finals and the side will need time to adjust, they also thought we were a big chance to beat Geelong, Fremantle and GCS (particularly Geelong and Fremantle) who all missed out on Finals in the first 3 rounds.
And hombsch, we brought in hombsch..a proven line coach

He will revert back to his last year's game plan before than but if the players don't buy back in then sure there's a chance as they might think he is no longer the senior coach to take the list forward just like what happened to Sanderson. Very unlikely as the players seem to still like him.
He’s not good enough to be chopping and changing game plans.

I felt the argument for extending Nicks was that it would allow him to be brave and not just play the more senior guys to make sure he can get his extension.

But he got the extension and there’s still no bravery in selection and no bravery tactically.

Rachele having 0 CBAs is nearly sackable in my book. Stop hiding this kid in the forward line.

When was that purported to be the argument? All I’ve ever heard is that we reckon he's a gun coach and sis leading us where we want to go. Which, to he fair, isn’t flag, we only want to be competing for a spot in the 8. Which is why continuity took control at the beginning of 2021.

They promised an elite football department, their response to not having one seems to be, 'it's really hard to do'.
Excuse merchants. If we had a leader instead of an elderly failed politician with dementia the bums who have destroyed the club would have been shown the door 10 years ago.

View attachment 1943784

Apart from beating crud sides, not sure late last year was a particularly great period.

Back