Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

A workmate of mine is a Nicks fan and travelled West to watch this game. A bigger person than me would say that watching this live was punishment enough and leave him alone.
Would be interested to know whether his views changed after witnessing that awful game live.

Stewart can be written off as a gun... but what about the other duds we make look like superstars?

Here's just a quick run down of average, old, "who the heck are they" players that have dined out on our side in our 2022/23 losses -

Kade Chandler (3 goals in a narrow win for Melbourne)
Dyson Heppell (25 disposals, 9 marks)
Brad Hill (30 disposals, 10 marks)
Changkouth Jiath (24 disposals, 8 marks, 3 Brownlow votes)
Josh Carmichael (24 disposals, 8 marks, 6 clearances - all career highs)
Noah Balta (13 disposals, 10 marks, 6 rebound 50s, 3 Brownlow votes)

But wait, there's more! We have also had good players dine out on us in that time -

Tom Stewart (again!) (40 disposals 16 marks)
Josh Kelly (41 disposals)
Isaac Cumming (33 disposals, 10 marks)
Patrick Cripps (35 disposals, 2 goals)
Charlie Curnow (6 goals)
Christian Petracca (33 disposals, 3 goals)
Connor Rozee (34 disposals, 11 inside 50s)
Tom Green (37 disposals)
Bailey Smith (37 disposals, 7 tackles, 6 inside 50s)
Jack Lukuosius (5 goals - career best)
Darcy Parish (39 disposals, 9 inside 50s)

When we play teams and lose, opposition players more often than not go big against us.

It's a very, very concerning trend and cannot be written off as "oh well this guy's just a gun".

Well now we can add Alex Pearce to this ever growing list.

They promised an elite football department, their response to not having one seems to be, 'it's really hard to do'.

It shouldn’t be that hard.

We are in a two team town. There would be enough quality people from SA who may want to return home and we are one of only two options.

We are financially in a strong place, we can afford to throw cash around if need be.

Our list profile is just about ideal in terms of age and player experience, young enough you can have an impact from a coach/high performance perspective but not so young that you’re signing up for 4-5 years of pain (theoretically).

Why can’t we get more quality in?

Extending Nicks so early in this season will go down as one of this club's worst decisions.

1 The Camp
2 Tippet
3 Trading out Modra
4 Extending Matthew Nicks

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Im curious if there is any one on here that genuinely believed at the time, if the resigning was the right call?

I couldnt believe it at the time, with hindsight the decision is even worse. I still believe the Club knew we would have had this kind of start and better to announce it when we were 0-1, than later in the season.

0-10 is not completely out of the question either after R10, I think we will likely be 1-9 or 2-8 at absolute best.

It was madness to believe we would make the 8 off the back of last year. We had a few "Port-like" wins that fooled everyone.

It’s s**t, as I said he’s no good and hence cannot implement another game plan.
You telling me how we are playing is us successfully playing his game plan?
I've never said we can play his new defense game plan well, I said he has been able to revert back to what resemble the game plan of last year in the games we've played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was in the firmly no for a long time, basically from what I saw from the 2020 season. No surprise I still am.

Most damning thing is under the coaching regime is we seem to be trying to kill the natural talent of our young players. First Jones, and Fog... then Schoey and Berry. Now Pedlar. Soligo is next. After that, RT, Rachelle, Rankine? Max?

It's a negative, slow, rubbish coaching system that kills any natural talent of a player to minimize risk. We are literally playing to bring the opposition down to our level, and squeak home (which hasn't worked so far this season). This is the exact same garbage we saw back in 2020. That was supposedly the start of the rebuild and it was hard to stomach then... it's impossible to take now.

I was in the firmly no for a long time, basically from what I saw from the 2020 season. No surprise I still am.

Most damning thing is under the coaching regime is we seem to be trying to kill the natural talent of our young players. First Jones, and Fog... then Schoey and Berry. Now Pedlar. Soligo is next. After that, RT, Rachelle, Rankine? Max?

It's a negative, slow, rubbish coaching system that kills any natural talent of a player to minimize risk. We are literally playing to bring the opposition down to our level, and squeak home (which hasn't worked so far this season). This is the exact same garbage we saw back in 2020. That was supposedly the start of the rebuild and it was hard to stomach then... it's impossible to take now.
Which players have improved this season?

Not sure you could name 1 player.

Perhaps Keane?

Hmm, besides Wayne I can’t think of too many ;)
That in itself should have been the warning to the Board!! ;)

& he wants us to use our next 1st rounder on Petty...

We need to play the other half of our list and draft top talent before we get Petty.
The selection committee need to give all our top end talent a decent go... & start being more ruthless in selection where a player has had several poor games.

Imo, finals already a lost cause.

Ps. Stop playing injured or underdone players too!

Back