Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sanderson
Pyke
Now nicks.

Have all presented the same way at their first presser.

Niel Craig talk the talk and walked the walk.

I didn't follow the club closely during ayres years. Blight disillusioned me. He also talked the talk but ran at the first sign of trouble. Left deep wounds in the clubs soul.

Shaw presented Much like the first three mentioned

Cornes biggest mistake, Tony mcguiness. He should of been left at footdcray.

Walsh was powerful and genuine. I've seen nothing like it. If we're gonna have man conversations about this club, Walsh was a masterstroke.

I don't think nicks is going to work. He don't understand this club.

He cited his time at Sydney and the culture there. Those two granny's in a row against the west coke eagles. He said that's what he wants us to be like. The thing is, our culture was better at that time. They couldn't beat us. If they received half the rubbish we did from victorian umpires, they would of barely made the eight. Sydney gets free rides, we get taxed heavily.

It should of been us in 2005. The ricciuto suspension was vfl regulating us. Inhibiting us. It should of been us again in 2006 but Darren goldsspink obviously bet on West Coast for the premiership. Nicks has a warped sense of reality.

Nicks the stockbroker doesn't do anything for the argument there is no boys club. We picked a Businessman last time as well. Like Pyke, he knows the language to speak to our club. Our board is a corporate board only.

He's South Australian, coached at port for a long time. These are good things. Spent a year inside the system Kevin sheedy set up. Sheedy set up two systems, both Essendon gws had a superior system. Gws gets free rides but what they've achieved, is remarkable as what you could get, without a premiership. But in trying to think, of any quality senior coaches have come from sheedy system?

James hird lol.
Tim Watson no good either.

Watched the full MN press conference. I feel he will bring back the physicality that has been lacking for some time. Has a very similar philosophy to football that PW had. Feel he will give the club every chance of success and players will want to come here to play under him. Good selection.

Sanderson
Pyke
Now nicks.

I didn't follow the club closely during ayres years. Blight disillusioned me. He also talked the talk but ran at the first sign of trouble. Left deep wounds in the clubs soul.

Walsh was powerful and genuine. I've seen nothing like it. If we're gonna have man conversations about this club, Walsh was a masterstroke.

He cited his time at Sydney and the culture there. Those two granny's in a row against the west coke eagles. He said that's what he wants us to be like. The thing is, our culture was better at that time. They couldn't beat us. If they received half the rubbish we did from victorian umpires, they would of barely made the eight. Sydney gets free rides, we get taxed heavily.

It should of been us in 2005. The ricciuto suspension was vfl regulating us. Inhibiting us. It should of been us again in 2006 but Darren goldsspink obviously bet on West Coast for the premiership. Nicks has a warped sense of reality.

Nicks the stockbroker doesn't do anything for the argument there is no boys club. We picked a Businessman last time as well. Like Pyke, he knows the language to speak to our club. Our board is a corporate board only.

He's South Australian, coached at port for a long time. These are good things. Spent a year inside the system Kevin sheedy set up. Sheedy set up two systems, both Essendon gws had a superior system. Gws gets free rides but what they've achieved, is remarkable as what you could get, without a premiership. But in trying to think, of any quality senior coaches have come from sheedy system?

James hird lol.
He's had the job for 2 days. You're a moron.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just watched the introduction to pyke & then watched nicks introduction to the coaching appointment...

Feeling more positive now

1) The fact that the selection committee on his appointment was divided isn't filling me with great confidence..
2) But I'm hoping he will be a great long term coach.
3) Is anyone else more excited about who the senior assistant/line coaches will be ??
1) I watched the 24-minute presser/Coach intro and went back over a lot of it. Didn't Fagan say the committee was unanimous in choosing Nicks?
2) Me too. I doubt that we now have the cattle to challenge seriously for a Flag until maybe 2022, by which time Tex and Sloane will both be 32, Gibbs 33 (if Nicks gets something good out of him). Looks like Nicks will have to rebuild around the Crouches/ Fogarty/ Jones and stalwarts like Talia/ Laird/ Smithers.
3) No Campo, no Hart, no Burton is a great start. Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing whom Nicks brings in.

You did (well, a nibble anyway ;) ).
I'm still in the wait-and-see zone. If Hart stays as forward Coach I'll be extremely disappointed. Our forwards' output is a shadow of what it was in 2017.
Thanks, Ben.
Delivery and ball movement was abysmal though. I'm willing to give anyone a crack without Campo's fingers on the gameplan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Delivery and ball movement was abysmal though. I'm willing to give anyone a crack without Campo's fingers on the gameplan.
I agree, it's been abysmal for so long.

I think it's both skill and game plan related, especially the delivery to forwards.

The art of delivering to a leading forward is seriously lost on the AFC. Our midfielders just don't have good skills, especially under pressure and at Pace. Too often as soon as the ball is won, it's followed up with a hail Mary. Even when they have time, the ability to kick to the advantage of the leading forward is perhaps the worst in the league.

We simply have to get better skills into our midfield.

Im also hoping that some of this was direction from campo to kick long with the hope of crumbing. Rather than looking for leads.

I can't help but wonder (without number figuring each move) at the difference between PA player trading and our at AFC. Rightly or wrongly PA are dynamic in making things happen. They perennially finish below us and yet routinely seem to trade/select better than AFC. By comparison our list development seems fairly ordinary. There ain't much excitement.

Our player development is hopefully one of the things currently being addressed.

I think it's both skill and game plan related, especially the delivery to forwards.

The art of delivering to a leading forward is seriously lost on the AFC. Our midfielders just don't have good skills, especially under pressure and at Pace. Too often as soon as the ball is won, it's followed up with a hail Mary. Even when they have time, the ability to kick to the advantage of the leading forward is perhaps the worst in the league.

Im also hoping that some of this was direction from campo to kick long with the hope of crumbing. Rather than looking for leads.

The problem is too many of our forward 50 entries come as a result of marks or free kicks between the 50m arc and the middle of the ground. The recipient would push back, survey the options and then hoist the ball long inside 50.

How many times would we get 6-7 entries in a row, get absolutely no reward on the scoreboard and then the opposition goes coast to coast without us so much as getting a fingernail on the ball.

We've got players with the skillset to hit targets. We just need to be smarter with how we play.

I think the midfield generally will get a bump if there is buy in to Nicks’ cultural change. Putting others first, having your team mates back. Simple stuff so lacking in our midfield.

Who blocks, tackles and creates space and pressure for their team mates? Who covers others defensively.

Nothing, no one, zilch. They accumulate stats for themselves and that’s about it.

It’s not a unit, not a team within a team.

Sanderson
Pyke
Now nicks.

James hird lol.

Neil Craig was full of it and had mates get him the job.

In some ways, Sanderson was correct though - he got us to a prelim and 5 points from a grand final appearance, in his first season.

Was he though?

Like most of the top 4 finishes we've had, we plummeted out of the 8 the next year with nothing to show for it.

I'd have to go back and take a look at our playing list/staff from that year, but I do wonder if we'd have thought a little more long term we might have had multiple top 4 finishes over a period of 5 years. giving us a couple of genuine shots at a premiership.

I'm actually a little scared we might bounce back a little next year and fall back into the "while you're a mathematical chance to finish in the 8..." before making all of the changes we need for true long term success.

The whole game plan has had me bewildered for some time. Pyke is more intelligent than how we were playing. Was he being thwarted by others. Recent events would suggest so. Hard to believe.....shakes head.

Both is right

Yes we want more players prepared to put their head in the hole

Yes we dont want everyone with a see ball get ball mentailty and sheep doging for the ball

But when its your turn to go, its your turn to go....

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The Atkins problem unfortunately. Most times he does the right thing staying out of the contest, but when it's his turn to go he very rarely does.

I think its about the concept of team. If your mates in trouble you help him. That means if someone hurts him you go in and let the opposition know its not on.

Hot/cold aggression is a good term and I think Port get sucked into too many hot aggression moments. They start the fights to put opposition off but I think it derails their planning.

Cold aggression is the Hawthorn model. Niggling, pushing , knocking the ball - giving up the occassional 50 but letting the opposition know they are not going to have it easy
There have been more than a few Showdowns over the last few years where they've gone ultra physical from the first bounce and you can see their players slowly get more dispirited when it didn't stop us. There was no method to any of it, just meathead bashing us around off the contest that did nothing but get us fired up.

Nicks was in charge of ball-movement at GWS, so hopefully he's got some good ideas for us next year in that regard.

Was he though?

Like most of the top 4 finishes we've had, we plummeted out of the 8 the next year with nothing to show for it.

I'd have to go back and take a look at our playing list/staff from that year, but I do wonder if we'd have thought a little more long term we might have had multiple top 4 finishes over a period of 5 years. giving us a couple of genuine shots at a premiership.

I'm actually a little scared we might bounce back a little next year and fall back into the "while you're a mathematical chance to finish in the 8..." before making all of the changes we need for true long term success.

Sanderson was no coaching mastermind but after a Prelim in his first year we had Tippett leave, draft picks removed, Tex did his knee and at the end of 2013 Dean Bailey was diagnosed with cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back