MATTHEWS v CAREY V ABLETT

Remove this Banner Ad

oscarheel

Senior List
Oct 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I realise people are getting sick of these polls but lets nip it in the bud.
I could have added other players in the poll but its always Ablett, Matthews and carey that win out.

Ablett, and I'm not biased. They didn't call him god for nothing.

It's weird, he's built like a dutchman but when you saw him in motion, he almost looked graceful. My little brother was watching him on the 92 and 94 finals and GF vids and said he was like a graceful version of Barry Hall :confused:

All were champions in their own right and dominated other teams and their eras.

for mine it has to be Ablett, the greatest player i have ever seen, freakish strength, very quick off the mark, capable of anything on a footy field and tough as nails.

The one thing that he gets beaten by the other two is on field leadership, I think Ablett was the best ever player and carey and matthews were fantastic players and peerless leaders

HeLMie said:
However you clearly stated you are biased. In my opinion its clearly out of Ablett and Carey, and then each of us have our own perspective. To split the two is borderline impossible.
Everyone is biased to a degree. For me to take part in this poll, of course i'm going to vote Ablett, i'm a cats supporter. I was just stating that Ablett got a vote because of whom i support.

the sad thing with Ablett was it didnt matter how many bags of goals he kicked in a game for Geelong they still lost a heap of matches, he arguably carried Geelong through to all four of there grand finals in the 90's. I remember when he kicked like 15 goals plus against us in a match in '93 we still beat them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

oscarheel said:
the sad thing with Ablett was it didnt matter how many bags of goals he kicked in a game for Geelong they still lost a heap of matches, he arguably carried Geelong through to all four of there grand finals in the 90's. I remember when he kicked like 15 goals plus against us in a match in '93 we still beat them.
We did get into 4 GF's in 6 years. Oh and Salmon kicked 10 goals in that game. But we did lose too many games though.

Theres too many young people on these boards who have never even seen footage of Leigh Matthews in his prime. He was a class above everyone else in skill, harder than nails and had the ability to will his team to a win.

Added to that he kicked 900+ goals while playing a good chunk of his career on the ball.

Lethal is the man.

moistie said:
Theres too many young people on these boards who have never even seen footage of Leigh Matthews in his prime. He was a class above everyone else in skill, harder than nails and had the ability to will his team to a win.

Added to that he kicked 900+ goals while playing a good chunk of his career on the ball.

Lethal is the man.
Absolutely. Is a sad reflection of this site when Lethal is coming last in a 'best ever' poll. Can only presume people think because they never saw him, he couldn't be the best.
Imagine a version of Michael Voss, only tougher, with better skills, more consistent...and with 915 goals to his name.:eek:

OneEyedHawk said:
Absolutely. Is a sad reflection of this site when Lethal is coming last in a 'best ever' poll. Can only presume people think because they never saw him, he couldn't be the best.
Imagine a version of Michael Voss, only tougher, with better skills, more consistent...and with 915 goals to his name.:eek:

Well, he's only really coming 3rd. It would be pretty ridiculous to say any player is the Greatest or best ever unless you have actually watched Australian rules for 110 years. If you swear that Lethal is the best ever, than it's no different to the guys that have voted Ablett & Carey on this poll.

Your right though, the whole idea is ridiculous.

westdog54 said:
Sam Newman said that Carey was the best player he'd seen behind Polly Farmer. That's good enough for me, Sam's the toughest critic out there
yeah but Gary Ablett was voted geelongs greatest player before Polly Farmer so Sams comments dont mean much.

The poll needs an age stipulation.
Where you old enough to have seen Leathal play before you vote

westdog54 said:
Sam Newman said that Carey was the best player he'd seen behind Polly Farmer. That's good enough for me, Sam's the toughest critic out there

Leigh Matthews said that Carey was the best also. Personally, I rate Matthews and Carey head and shoulders above all others. I am puzzled by the present outcome of this poll.

Carey and Matthews won games for their clubs, Ablett just kicked goals.

westdog54 said:

Sam was talking about greatest non-Victorians with that comment. He still rates Polly the greatest ever though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back