Gary Ablett Jnr - is he remembered as a Cat or Sun?

How is Gary Ablett Jnr remembered?

• Total voters

Deadly Assassin

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gary had a great career spanning two clubs but how is he remembered by the football public?
Cat or a Sun?

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Sun, not really debatable. Played his peak there and almost carried them to finals. Massive effort. Did nothing like that at the Cats, in fact they won again as soon as he left in 11 and lost in 08 and 10 with him.

Not to mention he would’ve won a second Brownlow at the Suns if he didn’t get injured.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Deadly Assassin

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sun, not really debatable. Played his peak there and almost carried them to finals. Massive effort. Did nothing like that at the Cats, in fact they won again as soon as he left in 11 and lost in 08 and 10 with him.

He won a Brownlow at each club so it's debatable. Also his peak years were 2007-2014 with 4 years as a Cat and 4 years as a Sun.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
He won a Brownlow at each club so it's debatable. Also his peak years were 2007-2014 with 4 years as a Cat and 4 years as a Sun.

4 B&Fs at the Suns compared to 2 at the Cats, would’ve won 2 Brownlows (maybe more) at the Suns if he didn’t get injured. This would’ve come with more MVPs and Coaches awards. On an individual level it’s a landslide in the Suns favour, only if you value flags would you say the Cats. Fact.

Seeds

l2ADf6.gif

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Sun, he’s only remembered as another member of the retirement home when he went back to the cats. Played his best footy at the suns.

100% Fitzey, I remember when he kicked his best goal against Geelong ironically and even the supporters and Chris Scott applauded it. Haven’t seen that before, truely legendary stuff and it will be what people remember most when they see his highlight packages. Can’t believe Geelong let this guy go.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong, 247 games vs the 110 for the Suns. Throw in the bigger games, premierships, etc and it's a clear cut case I think.

A better debate would be Lance Franklin. 182 games for the Hawks, 159 for the Swans, if he plays most of next season those numbers would be nigh identical, and both teams were at or around the top for a decent enough time of his stay.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Garry Ablett snr would of been a better player if he played for GC aswell to be honest.

True, he also should’ve stayed at the Hawks, Cats sent his career down the toilet. Him, Lethal and Dunstal winning flags together would’ve been unreal. What an idiot, runs in the family I guess. Shame.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Cat for sure.
There were two or three years at the back end or his GC career where the GC powers were less than impressed about his resilience to get on the field.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Won a flag the very next year and guess what Falcon, they just won another and are better placed than your mob for the next decade.
De Koning, Stengle, Henry x2, Holmes, Conway, Parfitt, Close, lol, keep on plaguing us with your garbage in these Geelong threads :thumbsu:

Could’ve won another 2 after 2011 minimum and made a super dynasty. But you guys all cooked it.

Dunno why you are mentioning Richmond in this thread. It’s not relevant.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Could’ve won another 2 after 2011 minimum and made a super dynasty. But you guys all cooked it.

Dunno why you are mentioning Richmond in this thread. It’s not relevant.

We did win another two after 2010 :D
It's sweeter winning one every decade opposed to winning them all in flurry then dropping away into obscurity for the next 20-30 years.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
We did win another two after 2010
It's sweeter winning one every decade opposed to winning them all in flurry then dropping away into obscurity for the next 20-30 years.

I wrote 2011 not 2010. And they would’ve been part of the dynasty. 2022 isn’t. Even if you do include it, it would be a s**t one. Many many teams have done 4 in 16.

Again no need to talk about Richmond on here.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I wrote 2011 not 2010. And they would’ve been part of the dynasty. 2022 isn’t. Even if you do include it, it would be a s**t one. Many many teams have done 4 in 16.

Again no need to talk about Richmond on here.

Many teams in the modern era or are you referring to the 1950's etc?

Remember, you cannot look back at history mate. You despise the past and prefer it to be forgotten given how great and wonderful everything is from your 25 year old eye balls.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Many teams in the modern era or are you referring to the 1950's etc?

Remember, you cannot look back at history mate. You despise the past and prefer it to be forgotten given how great and wonderful everything is from your 25 year old eye balls.

In history (dunno why I can’t reference it, I don’t despise the past) but even in the AFL era Hawks have done 4 in 8. Double as good.

Anyway this isn’t a dynasty or Richmond thread stop derailing it and talk about the Suns legend in GAJ.

Back