Gary Ablett Jnr - is he remembered as a Cat or Sun?

How is Gary Ablett Jnr remembered?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

True, he also should’ve stayed at the Hawks, Cats sent his career down the toilet. Him, Lethal and Dunstal winning flags together would’ve been unreal. What an idiot, runs in the family I guess. Shame.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Still not a foundation club and no matter how many offended Geelong threads you start, that isn't ever going to change.

Remembered as a Cat.

He's a Cat, he should've won at least 3 Brownlows at Geelong and injury robbed him of another one at the Suns in 2014. i have no doubt he should be a 5-time winner. He won two flags as a Cat and that makes the difference.

If you think it hard enough, it will come true I’m sure of it. Keep trying

He is a cat because he is part of the best father son duo of all time, he played in 4 grand finals won Brownlow medals, best and fairests and the name is the most famous at our club snr or jnr you say the word Gary Ablett it’s automatic Geelong.

What he did at the suns was the most outstanding single player I have ever seen at a club… since his dad at Geelong in the 90s. Ablett snr was by far the best player on the team and didn’t really have the cattle around him that Ablett jnr got to have at Geelong. At the Suns he was surrounded by rookies and washed up players and was the best player by a greater distance than I had ever seen, consistently racking up 40 and 3 games.
I have nothing but hero status for him as a footballer and to go to Gold Coast made sense to me for him, he had lived up to the expectations and passed them by further than anyone imagined. The opportunity to go somewhere that had no football following get paid more and be able to walk around the streets and live your life with out the 2000000000kg weight of being Ablett jnr and will you be as good as your dad that he had lived with since the age of zero. Total no brainer go to Gold Coast…. You will always be a loved cat 🐈.

This an interesting thread that other players come to mind.

Which club do you think of if I say:

David Cloke
Greg Williams
Gary Dempsey
Buddy Franklin
Brent Croswell
Kevin Sheedy
Damien Hardwick
Alistair Clarksin
Allen Jeans
David Parkin
Tom Hafey
Leigh Matthews

Keep in mind I’m younger so that will affect things.

D Cloke = Pies (Cause of Travis I think but I know he played more for us)

Williams = Blues

Dempsey = Don’t know him

Buddy = Hawks

Croswell = Don’t know him

Sheedy = Bombers cause of coaching even though he played for us

Hardwick = Richmond even though he won flags with 2000 bombers and 2004 port

Clarkson = Hawks

Jeans = Richmond (Heard he coached us, just looked up now he did much more at St Kilda so I’d have to change it to that)

Parkin = Don’t know him

Hafey = Richmond

Lethal = Hawks

4 B&Fs at the Suns compared to 2 at the Cats, would’ve won 2 Brownlows (maybe more) at the Suns if he didn’t get injured. This would’ve come with more MVPs and Coaches awards. On an individual level it’s a landslide in the Suns favour, only if you value flags would you say the Cats. Fact.

No it isn't d!ckhead. It's your opinion and as usual it's pathetic, ignorant horse s**t. Was remarkable at Geelong 07-10 and pretty good before that also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think, rightly or wrongly, you are remembered best for wherever you had the most success and premierships always seem to trump individual accolades. Most people seem to agree that Gary Ablett Jr's best football was played in his early years at the Suns circa 2011-2014 before he injured his shoulder on that fateful night against Collingwood at Metricon Stadium. I watched him play live every fortnight for those years and I must say he seemed 10 steps ahead of everyone else during that period. I'm very confident in saying he would have claimed a third Brownlow in 2014 if he hadn't been injured in round 16 (bookies had already paid out bets mid-season) and perhaps that would have flipped my opinion on this question because a fit Gary Ablett Jr from rounds 17-23 in 2014 probably secures the required two wins to qualify for the finals that year.

Who knows what a Gary Ablett Jr led Suns goes on to achieve after that (and if Gaz would have ever returned to Geelong) but at least you would be able to make some kind of argument that he could/should be remembered more as a Sun than a Cat but with the way things played out I think most people would say he'll be remembered more as a Geelong player. I also think there's a decent chance that our club B&F award gets named after GAJ in the future but again, I still think he'll be remembered more as a Cat.

David Cloke - Richmond
Greg Williams - Sydney
Gary Dempsey - North
Buddy Franklin - Hawthorn
Brent Croswell - North
Kevin Sheedy - Richmond
Damien Hardwick - Port
Alistair Clarksin - North
Allen Jeans - Hawthorn
David Parkin- Carlton
Tom Hafey - Collingwood
Leigh Matthews - Hawthorn

David Cloke
Greg Williams
Gary Dempsey
Buddy Franklin
Brent Croswell
Kevin Sheedy
Damien Hardwick
Alistair Clarksin
Allen Jeans
David Parkin
Tom Hafey
Leigh Matthews
Cloke - Richmond
Diesel - Carlton
Dempsey - Footscray
Buddy - Hawks
Crosswell - Carlton
Sheedy - Essendon
Hardwick - Richmond
Clarkson - Hawks
Jeans - Hawks
Parkin - Literally 50/50 Hawks/Blues
Hafey - Tigers
Matthews - Hawks

GAJ’s Gold Coast sojourn was an AFL orchestrated deal that in hindsight backfired spectacularly. Ablett was at his peak at GC bit was never going to lead that club to finals success given what he had to work with.

GAJ is Geelong.

The fact he returned home when GC was finally prepared to release him speaks volumes. He was arguably the best player in the competition in 2007 & 2008 as evidenced by his Leigh Matthews and AFLCA awards in those years. And he won the Brownlow in 2009. He won 5 X AA’s at Geelong and 2 B&F’s.

His career at GC was stellar but he was head and shoulders better than everyone else on the GC list. At Geelong he was surrounded by champions and still excelled.

Last edited:
If you think it hard enough, it will come true I’m sure of it. Keep trying

Well, it isn't true, but he changed football in the 21st century. Brownlows are sort of meaningless anyway these days. You would have to be completely out of your mind not to think he should've won at least 3 at Geelong. His year with the Suns in 2014 is probably the greatest individual season ever seen playing in a team that couldn't beat an egg...He will always be considered a Cat before anything else though.

Well, it isn't true, but he changed football in the 21st century. Brownlows are sort of meaningless anyway these days. You would have to be completely out of your mind not to think he should've won at least 3 at Geelong. His year with the Suns in 2014 is probably the greatest individual season ever seen playing in a team that couldn't beat an egg...He will always be considered a Cat before anything else though.

Which years should he have won Brownlows at Geelong? I’ve heard people say Suns years but not Geelong.

I think, rightly or wrongly, you are remembered best for wherever you had the most success and premierships always seem to trump individual accolades. Most people seem to agree that Gary Ablett Jr's best football was played in his early years at the Suns circa 2011-2014 before he injured his shoulder on that fateful night against Collingwood at Metricon Stadium. I watched him play live every fortnight for those years and I must say he seemed 10 steps ahead of everyone else during that period. I'm very confident in saying he would have claimed a third Brownlow in 2014 if he hadn't been injured in round 16 (bookies had already paid out bets mid-season) and perhaps that would have flipped my opinion on this question because a fit Gary Ablett Jr from rounds 17-23 in 2014 probably secures the required two wins to qualify for the finals that year.

Who knows what a Gary Ablett Jr led Suns goes on to achieve after that (and if Gaz would have ever returned to Geelong) but at least you would be able to make some kind of argument that he could/should be remembered more as a Sun than a Cat but with the way things played out I think most people would say he'll be remembered more as a Geelong player. I also think there's a decent chance that our club B&F award gets named after GAJ in the future but again, I still think he'll be remembered more as a Cat.

They should name it after Dew, he is the biggest servant the Suns have had imo.

But my god the melts on here would be insane if it is changed to GAJ. It would truely cement him as a Suns player/legend.

Back