Gary Ablett Jnr - is he remembered as a Cat or Sun?

How is Gary Ablett Jnr remembered?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep in mind I’m younger so that will affect things.

D Cloke = Pies (Cause of Travis I think but I know he played more for us)

Williams = Blues

Dempsey = Don’t know him

Buddy = Hawks

Croswell = Don’t know him

Sheedy = Bombers cause of coaching even though he played for us

Hardwick = Richmond even though he won flags with 2000 bombers and 2004 port

Clarkson = Hawks

Jeans = Richmond (Heard he coached us, just looked up now he did much more at St Kilda so I’d have to change it to that)

Parkin = Don’t know him

Hafey = Richmond

Lethal = Hawks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't mean to call you out on this but I have seen you post recently (and somewhat regularly) how "all of Bigfooty is dumb" and how we broadly "don't know what we're talking about", etc. I've also seen you post how BigFooty must be "full of old people" and "clearly biased by nostalgia" when nearly everyone disagrees with your views - typically your views of players you admit you have never even seen play.

Now in this post you highlight you have never even heard of Dempsey or Parkin. Dempsey is the team of the century at 2 different clubs, he's in the AFL Hall of Fame, until Gary Ablett Jnr came along, he had the most Brownlow votes of all time (still 2nd) and would be in the top 20-25 players of all time and you don't know who he is. Parkin is an official 'legend' at one club, in the Hall of Fame at another and is in the AFL Hall of Fame as well. He has either captained or coached 5 flags and been involved in 700+ games of VFL/AFL footy.

Now you don't need to know who these people are but when it is clear your own views are very biased (i.e. pro Richmond - and seemingly anti-Geelong) and very much in the small minority on pretty much every topic whilst at the same time being unfamiliar with significant parts of the game's history, maybe it's time to then take a step back and dig further into topics, do more asking and listening rather than telling everyone else how dumb they are?

Inb4 you do a one second look at their wiki page and declare them overated because they didn't win enough MVP's, AA's, Norm Smiths and Brownlows, despite those awards either not existing or functioning completely differently between then and now (ala your opinion on Leigh Matthews and countless others).

Cloke - Richmond
Diesel - Carlton
Dempsey - Footscray
Buddy - Hawks
Crosswell - Carlton
Sheedy - Essendon
Hardwick - Richmond
Clarkson - Hawks
Jeans - Hawks
Parkin - Literally 50/50 Hawks/Blues
Hafey - Tigers
Matthews - Hawks
Nearly exactly my thoughts except Croswell for North.

Brilliantly summarized of Parkin.

I try my best to remember the guy with the blonde hair wearing 29 and not the toss who later wore 9 and 4.

I don't mean to call you out on this but I have seen you post recently (and somewhat regularly) how "all of Bigfooty is dumb" and how we broadly "don't know what we're talking about", etc. I've also seen you post how BigFooty must be "full of old people" and "clearly biased by nostalgia" when nearly everyone disagrees with your views - typically your views of players you admit you have never even seen play.

Now in this post you highlight you have never even heard of Dempsey or Parkin. Dempsey is the team of the century at 2 different clubs, he's in the AFL Hall of Fame, until Gary Ablett Jnr came along, he had the most Brownlow votes of all time (still 2nd) and would be in the top 20-25 players of all time and you don't know who he is. Parkin is an official 'legend' at one club, in the Hall of Fame at another and is in the AFL Hall of Fame as well. He has either captained or coached 5 flags and been involved in 700+ games of VFL/AFL footy.

Now you don't need to know who these people are but when it is clear your own views are very biased (i.e. pro Richmond - and seemingly anti-Geelong) and very much in the small minority on pretty much every topic whilst at the same time being unfamiliar with significant parts of the game's history, maybe it's time to then take a step back and dig further into topics, do more asking and listening rather than telling everyone else how dumb they are?

Inb4 you do a one second look at their wiki page and declare them overated because they didn't win enough MVP's, AA's, Norm Smiths and Brownlows, despite those awards either not existing or functioning completely differently between then and now (ala your opinion on Leigh Matthews and countless others).

Nah, it’s simpler than that. I just haven’t heard of them. The question pretty much was what club first pops into your head when you think of these players. I’m not going to comment about players I don’t know.

And btw, Lethal agrees with me about past players/teams. I’ve posted the vid in the Hawks v Tigers dynasty thread.

Nah, it’s simpler than that. I just haven’t heard of them. The question pretty much was what club first pops into your head when you think of these players. I’m not going to comment about players I don’t know.

And btw, Lethal agrees with me about past players/teams. I’ve posted the vid in the Hawks v Tigers dynasty thread.

You've missed the point again.

You've missed the point again.

The point is that I shouldn’t be talking about people I haven’t seen and I underrate the older gen. Yeah I’ve heard all that before, however Lethal agrees with me so there’s that.

100% Fitzey, I remember when he kicked his best goal against Geelong ironically and even the supporters and Chris Scott applauded it. Haven’t seen that before, truely legendary stuff and it will be what people remember most when they see his highlight packages. Can’t believe Geelong let this guy go.

You need serious help.

Step 1:
Post thread about anything Geelong.

Step 2:
Wait for it... wait for it...

Step 3:
Not trolling ... nah really not.....

4 times more than anyone else.

Its a pattern every single time.

GO Catters

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 7.12.12 PM.png

Step 1:
Post thread about anything Geelong.

Step 2:
Wait for it... wait for it...

Step 3:
Not trolling ... nah really not.....

4 times more than anyone else.

Its a pattern every single time.

GO Catters

View attachment 1579313
He's just passionate about the Greatest Team of All. Someone get the man a membership. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This an interesting thread that other players come to mind.

Which club do you think of if I say:

David Cloke
Greg Williams
Gary Dempsey
Buddy Franklin
Brent Croswell
Kevin Sheedy
Damien Hardwick
Alistair Clarksin
Allen Jeans
David Parkin
Tom Hafey
Leigh Matthews
Richmond
Carlton
Footscray
Hawthorn
??
Essendon
Port Adelaide
Hawthorn
Hawthorn
Carlton
Richmond
Hawthorn

David Cloke.....................Richmond as he won Flags there
Greg Williams..................Carlton as he won a Brownlow and a Norm there (But he should have remained a Cat)
Gary Dempsey.................Close to50/50, won his Brownlow at the Dogs, but was a North colossus while there.
Buddy Franklin................Tend to think a Swan, but 2 Flags at Hawthorn is significant
Brent Croswell.................Maybe as i only remember him at Nth then the Dees, a Kangaroo despite 2 Flags for Carlton
Kevin Sheedy...................Reckon his 700 games as a coach and 4 Bomber Flags outweigh his playing days as a Tiger
Damien Hardwick.............Played at 3 clubs, but forever knows for three Tiger Flags as coach
Alistair Clarkson...............Nondescript playing career pales behind his Hawks coaching record
Allen Jeans......................Forever known as St.K's only Premiership coach, but he also coached 3 Hawks Flags. 40/60.
David Parkin....................Probably a Hawk, played 200+ games there, coached '78 Premiership, but 3 Blues Flags too.
Tom Hafey.......................Richmond, his only 4 Flags were with them, 4 GF losses at the Pies, not enough Cats/Swans
Leigh Matthews................Hawthorn legend, i think that outweighs his coaching of Lions and Pies.

FWIW, Gary Jr is a Cat, his heart was always with Geelong, but nobody who was offered $9M over 5 years would turn that down. I also think he had his family in mind too, Gary Sr didn't capitalise on his fame, Nathan retired young and could have made a fortune, and his sister had troubles. He'd have taken that contract as much for his family as for himself.

Ablett Jnr will always be a cat. As good as he was at GC, he played his best and most impactful football in the hoops.

Best midfielder I've ever seen. In front of Diesel.

Back