Confirmed Max Holmes [re-signed with Geelong through 2028]

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats offer small dollars and BIG property....no way Smith gets anything more than Holmes.

Apposed to the cleanskin Pies who just pay off gambling debts instead.
I honestly think from all sides this is some of the most lame crap this site has to offer. All based off rumour and innuendo.

We should all strive to do better.

From our board, story (allegedly) is that we offered him a 4 year deal, and he and his manager came back with a counter-offer that was "not unreasonable".

If we're at the Haggling Over Pennies stage then that's a positive.
Probably gets done mid-year.

Does he play a milestone game this year? Lock it in post that if so.

I would take that if I was him. More interesting question is what is he worth
I wouldn't. He'd come out of contract at an awkward age of 28-29 so this would be his biggest contract, would miss free agency, and more importantly would miss the opportunity to be a free agent when Tasmania is throwing around sign on bonuses.

If he signs a 4 year at the Cats then it takes him through to free agency, and putting a line through cats players that won't be there then, who else are we paying?

He won't earn less money on a shorter contract and may get substantially more

I wouldn't. He'd come out of contract at an awkward age of 28-29 so this would be his biggest contract, would miss free agency, and more importantly would miss the opportunity to be a free agent when Tasmania is throwing around sign on bonuses.

If he signs a 4 year at the Cats then it takes him through to free agency, and putting a line through cats players that won't be there then, who else are we paying?

If he improves to an A grade midfielder he will not get that much more - and the contract could contain clauses with increases for the next CBA.

I would not be that comfortable with Geelong offering that contract.

If he improves to an A grade midfielder he will not get that much more - and the contract could contain clauses with increases for the next CBA.

I would not be that comfortable with Geelong offering that contract.
Whether the contract contains those clauses though has a pretty big impact on the offer. Scaling up with the cap from here is near on 40% higher, but the bottom end of the list will not see the bulk of that money. Top end contracts probably go up 50%

I don't think he would do any worse overall just signing to free agency. And Tasmania coming in at that point is going to create so many list and salary cap holes for so many clubs that stupid money is likely to get thrown around. Signing past that just feels like leaving potential opportunities on the table for zero net gain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs offering 6 years with trigger for 7th and just under a mill per season.

If i was him id only sign 4 to get to RFA status and then sign a big long term deal. If he takes 6 years now he will get smaller deals after that.

I also doubt the dogs have the cap space to offer him that unless english is going.

If i was him id only sign 4 to get to RFA status and then sign a big long term deal. If he takes 6 years now he will get smaller deals after that.

I also doubt the dogs have the cap space to offer him that unless english is going.
Cap space isn't really an issue at the Dogs believe it or not. Cap increase and a few key retirements free'd up some money over the last two years (Bruce was on very good money). With Baz out the door and the Dunkley money still basically unused we have a bit of coin to throw around. Naughton was already on the T. Boyd money, talk is his 8 year contract wasn't much of a bump per year on his already 1m deal.

Signing a 4 year deal as opposed to 6 years on just under $1m is risking $2m.

A couple of concussuons or other injury and he misses out on two years and $2m.

Tassie look like they will get a swag of top 10 picks they must trade for players. So free agency targets mean little to them to start with, they will have 3 top 10 picks to trade for gun players.

Signing a 4 year deal as opposed to 6 years on just under $1m is risking $2m.

A couple of concussuons or other injury and he misses out on two years and $2m.

Tassie look like they will get a swag of top 10 picks they must trade for players. So free agency targets mean little to them to start with, they will have 3 top 10 picks to trade for gun players.

Don't think it's meaningless. Those players that go there create holes in other club lists.

He might sign it, but I wouldn't

Player managers and players are more risk-adverse than you think and even accepting all your points players generally don't turn down guaranteed money that isn't tied to performance requirements or triggers (as years 5 and 6 would be, not year 7).

You're underselling the probability that just through injury or general lack of form, he's not a player that would command anywhere near a million per year in the year that he comes into free agency. I'm not saying it to Holmes specifically, I'm just saying it about AFL players in general. I'm sure players like Dylan Shiel are content that they took the money at Essendon because he would clearly have received less money if he had come out of contract in any year among the six years that he was signed at Essendon.

We can't crystal ball and assume that Holmes will inevitably be a gun of the competition in 2030.

Don't think it's meaningless. Those players that go there create holes in other club lists.

He might sign it, but I wouldn't

Guaranteed $6m or $4m.

I know which one I'd sign.

If a player wants to move with two years left on a contract they usually get there as a pre-agent. Clubs have worked out trading pre-agents is better than risking a free agency situation after pissing off the player by refusing to trade 12 months earlier.

Player managers and players are more risk-adverse than you think and even accepting all your points players generally don't turn down guaranteed money that isn't tied to performance requirements or triggers (as years 5 and 6 would be, not year 7).

You're underselling the probability that just through injury or general lack of form, he's not a player that would command anywhere near a million per year in the year that he comes into free agency. I'm not saying it to Holmes specifically, I'm just saying it about AFL players in general. I'm sure players like Dylan Shiel are content that they took the money at Essendon because he would clearly have received less money if he had come out of contract in any year among the six years that he was signed at Essendon.

We can't crystal ball and assume that Holmes will inevitably be a gun of the competition in 2030.
Guaranteed $6m or $4m.

I know which one I'd sign.

If a player wants to move with two years left on a contract they usually get there as a pre-agent. Clubs have worked out trading pre-agents is better than risking a free agency situation after pissing off the player by refusing to trade 12 months earlier.

Yeah valid points. I would just be backing myself to jump on the upcoming gravy train

Dogs offering 6 years with trigger for 7th and just under a mill per season.
Raises the obvious question, what are the possibilities of a Smith/Holmes trade?

It wouldn't be a straight swap, as they just never seem to happen that way these days...but if both parties are interested, there's certainly worse ways to go about it for either club.

If I'm Stephen Wells, I'd certainly take Baz and possibly a pick or two over whatever Collingwood could offer. You have to make the best out of a bad situation with these things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back