Oppo Camp Max Lynch (Traded to Hawks 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy yes.

My high level preference is Grundy out Lynch number 1 ruckman in 2022 and not because of the quality of the two (Grundy’s a 9.5/10 ruckman whereas Lynch is a 5/10 and we’re speculating on him getting to a 7-9/10 level), but purely because of the terrible contract we’ve given Grundy. Unfortunately the only way that happens is a Treloar scenario where we push him out, get poor trade value and pay a portion of his salary.

Not to labour the point, but we recently went toe to toe on Pendlebury’s wage. If he wasn’t on $700k in 2021 then Treloar would still be on our books and if he was still on our books we could take the hit on Grundy. It’s a chain reaction of bad decisions that will tie our hands on making smart decisions in the future.

Moving back to Lynch. Without the ability to play forward Lynch needs to find a new home. As it’s unfolding though I think people could be surprised with the trade value we get for him. He’ll be the ruckman in the VFL team of the year which now holds more weight with 14 AFL aligned clubs in the competition so I suspect he’ll be on the radar of a number of clubs. That adds a factor that we didn’t have with Stephenson, Treloar and Phillips which is competition. I can see all of Geelong, North, WC and Hawthorn chasing him for various reasons.

FWIW criticism of Grundy is completely unwarranted on a form basis. The guy was dominant yesterday and we were dominant at stoppages because of it. If it weren’t for his ridiculously high standards and injury he’d be in the AA discussion. He’s also only played two bad games this year v the Bulldogs and Saints where he was double teamed in both. That’s on us to use Cameron better.
I don't think Grundy is anywhere near AA this year. I see his form the same as Magden. Magden gets ridiculed for the mistakes he makes which cost us goals. Grundy has cost us many more goals this year by the way he taps the ball in crucial situations and his decision making under pressure. So why does Magden get s**t put on him and Grundy doesn't? If you really want to go back and study his games this year, there will be times when you want to pull your hair out. Grundy isn't in the top 5 rucks this year and don't make me name them

I don't think Grundy is anywhere near AA this year. I see his form the same as Magden. Magden gets ridiculed for the mistakes he makes which cost us goals. Grundy has cost us many more goals this year by the way he taps the ball in crucial situations and his decision making under pressure. So why does Magden get sh*t put on him and Grundy doesn't? If you really want to go back and study his games this year, there will be times when you want to pull your hair out. Grundy isn't in the top 5 rucks this year and don't make me name them

Name them.

Everyone can be a hero with hindsight.

However.

The reason great sides remain great despite the AFL laws manipulation to force teams back down the ladder after a flag is because their best players are happy to take less than their market rate to help the club continue to enjoy that greatness.

THAT is my sticking point with Grundy.

Grundy had a very good game but it was against an injured Chol and Marlion Pickett.

We need to sign him up now if only to drive up his trade value. We are desperate for points this year.

Why would he sign a contract extension if he's going to seek a trade?

I would trade Grundy and keep Lynch if there was a taker for Grundy.
ooens up a lot of cap room in one manoeuvre

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PIE RUCK BEING MONITORED CLOSELY BY RIVALS

Collingwood’s Max Lynch has shown he is to step up to AFL level next season after enhancing his reputation as one of the best ruckmen not getting a senior game.

Lynch, who is being closely monitored by rivals, was dominant in the VFL win over Richmond on Sunday, notching 40 hit-outs, two goals, five clearances and 14 disposals.

Lynch, 22, is widely considered in recruiting circles as one of the best state league ruckmen in the country alongside Port Adelaide’s Peter Ladhams who has been dropped by the Power.

Lynch is yet to receive a contract offer from Collingwood and is stuck behind superstar big man Brodie Grundy at the Magpies.

I would trade Grundy and keep Lynch if there was a taker for Grundy.
ooens up a lot of cap room in one manoeuvre
Easy to sit on the sidelines and say what brave calls you would make if you were list manager. I suspect if you were actually paid to be doing that job, you might in fact be a little more cautious.

Are you seriously that naive to think his manager was born yesterday? Plenty of ways to manipulate a better deal for his client, that is just one of them.

Well thank God you're not a player manager, especially Lynchy's, he deserves better than that sort of crackpot strategy..

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
And the impact of a ruckman on a game of AFL is hotly debated.
But if I could go back in that time machine I’d keep Witts and trade Grundy.
I would have kept Grundy without doubt. When this contract came up, I would have offered him an appropriate contract and if he left wanting more, the trade price would have been grand.

If the club offers you a great deal you can accept it and still request a trade, contracted players get traded all the time.

This is basic common sense.

LOL, I can see it now...

Manager: Maxy, we've had an approach from <insert club>. They're very keen, it's 2 years, a guarantee of more senior opportunity. Slightly more money than you're getting at the Pies. I also have an offer for a 1 year extension at the Pies on slightly more money.
Maxy: Well I'm keen to get more opportunity, make it happen.
Manager: Okay. But I think we can negotiate a better deal with <insert club> if you sign the 1 year deal at the Pies.
Maxy: Okay, where do I sign?

2 Weeks later at the end of trade period
Maxy: Okay, when do I sign this better deal with <insert club>?
Manager: Sorry Maxy, the Pies wouldn't trade you, they want you to honour your contract.

Outcomes:
1 Maxy misses out on more opportunity, more money, and plays VFL at Pies in 2022 awaiting a Grundy injury.
2 Manager sacked and becomes a laughing stock of the industry for suggesting such a stupid strategy.

Yeah, makes perfect sense....

Using offers on the table as leverage.... completely different strategy... perfectly valid and commonly used.

Last edited:
I don't think Grundy is anywhere near AA this year. I see his form the same as Magden. Magden gets ridiculed for the mistakes he makes which cost us goals. Grundy has cost us many more goals this year by the way he taps the ball in crucial situations and his decision making under pressure. So why does Magden get sh*t put on him and Grundy doesn't? If you really want to go back and study his games this year, there will be times when you want to pull your hair out. Grundy isn't in the top 5 rucks this year and don't make me name them
Pointless wasting an AA season on the crap we have dished up this year.
Save it for a flag year next year.

Pointless wasting an AA season on the crap we have dished up this year.
Save it for a flag year next year.

I still think he'll make the AA squad at a minimum. Big Maxy the only real certainty at this stage. I'd probably have Grundy and NicNat fighting for the 2nd ruck position in the final 22. The hyperbole about his season is a bit over the top.

Spot on. Grundy kicks his goals as a ruckman not as a forward. The only thing worse than paying a ruckman $7m over 7 years is paying them $7m over 7 years to be a below average forward just so you can hold onto a below average ruckman.
What about $550kpa for a key forward kicking just over 1 goal a game over his career and averaging less than 10 disposals a game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back