Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

Because I don't think he was bracing himself after a footy act. I think he knew Brayshaw was there and intended to make contact and did so carelessly.

We can disagree on the above, it's not going to make any difference to whether Maynard plays the next game or not.

Happy to disagree, footy experts have called it no charge , just accept it

Could not have been spelt out any more clearly in the decision, which those still protesting appear not to have read

You are aware people can disagree with the decision, right?

Sort of like how I'm sure you've disagreed with a tribunal or MRO decision previously, as has every single AFL supporter.

complete and utter crap. Your natural instinct is to put your arms up to brace. Maynard turned his body and led with his shoulder which is a completely unnatural movement.

i played as a ruckman so smothering was never high on my list but once you left the ground you'd often put your hands into your opponent so you don't injure yourself let alone them.
Well you obviously didn't protect yourself. But then again Maynard had those hours in between jump and contact to take Brayshaw's temperature, check his blood pressure, and his heart , it'd take a few seconds to un-wrap the stethoscope, .
Do you see the ridiculousness of your comment, two men running at each other full pace the one with ball going to kick the one trying to defend jumped high as he could to touch the ball, who ever taught you to put your hands out in front taught you wrong if you were Maynard in that incident?
For example Maynard actually had his arms stuck up in the air to try a block, when he realised he couldn't,
he took a reflex action, which is, protect himself with hip and shoulder , if it was the other way around the same thing but different person, then every body goes screaming to the authority.
And he did not use his shoulder turn to deliberately take out an opponent, and bias sees that sort of thing, as a non reflex action, lots of players these days don't know how to protect their bodies, but it is a contact sport the risk is there they both took it.
Maynard had a "split" of a split second!
To get the blood pressure measurer out! Are you folks joking, if the game is so dangerous don't play don't watch ban the contact and destroy the game, which is not looking too fancy these days,with 2 divisions to boot, too many teams and to much politically correct interference .Hell we could ban Rugby we could ban horse racing , we could even ban tennis to save the rackets, what do you reckon
I reckon the MRP did something right for once out of millions of times too precious over reacting adjudicators kicked someone in the teeth. For playing football?.

I think most players head would be in a similar position to Brayshaw after making that kick. Head move away from direction of the kick, basic physics. Would be interesting to put a montage together. If that's the case they could have established the course change was predictable.
It wasn't a classic kicking technique. Normally you shift your weight directly over your left planted leg (if you're a right footer) so that you're balanced when kicking the footy. When kicking, Brayshaw is off balance with his weight well right of his planted foot. This shifts him to the right when the right foot lands and then he is still off balance and leaning to the right at impact with Bruzzy. It's probably only 2 feet further to the right than you'd expect, but that's the width of Bruzzy - that's the difference between Maynard missing him and knocking him out.

What a load of camelspit .... Maynard direction of vision nevers leaves Brayshaw .... he never tilts his head up to look at the ball as it passes overhead ..... eyes on Brayshaw at all times ..... go check the replay .... he could have easily cushioned the blow and would have still hit Brayshaw even for slight movement
Geez, it's a shame you weren't called as an expert witness. Can't imagine why it didn't happen. You would've blown that pesky qualified biochemist out of the water, I'm sure.

Have you actually seen the footage? It was even stated in the evidence
I have seen the footage ....the ball ended up 40m downfield and a down field free kick was awarded for Maynard plowing his shoulder into Brayshaws skull

The ball passes under Maynards right arm and there is no way in the world he touched it ..... no matter what horsecrap Maynard says ...... it was a very wrongly thought out and failed attempt to smother

Maynards direction of vision nevers leaves Brayshaw so he knew where was at all times and they would have collided even if Brayshaw hadn't moved offline slightly

Now you look at the footage and tell me where I am wrong

I have seen the footage ....the ball ended up 40m downfield and a down field free kick was awarded for Maynard plowing his shoulder into Brayshaws skull

The ball passes under Maynards right arm and there is no way in the world he touched it ..... no matter what horsecrap Maynard says ...... it was a very wrongly thought out and failed attempt to smother

Maynards direction of vision nevers leaves Brayshaw so he knew where was at all times and they would have collided even if Brayshaw hadn't moved offline slightly

We don't have to tell you, they spent 4 hours spelling out how wrong you are last night.

What part of it was stated in the evidence he touched the ball and there is clear footage of it , go have a look

Interesting that the chairman made comment on this being a long trial because Brayshaw might not play again this season and Maynard may miss some important games as if the two are comparable.
Fixed that for you and yes, totally comparable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tribunal said he touched it, so for the purposes of this case it was a realistic smothering attempt

He did not intend to bump when he left the ground, therefore there was no "bump" and no case to answer

Answer this , because everyone against Maynard cant answer it .

Is it reasonable for Maynard to smother the ball with an oncoming player coming towards him ?

What other option do you want him to take ,if not jump to smother.
I and most people here have no problem with Maynard trying to attempt a smother ..... but understand that when you jump forward to smother a ball being kicked by a player running directly at you from a short distance away that it is very "reasonable" and extremely "likely" that you could collide with that said player .... and you should have a duty of care not to hit that player in the head in the attempt to smother ..... just as you have a duty of care when you go to lay a tackle or a bump on a ball carrier not to hit them in the head

It's *ing rocket science

If it was Nick Daicos being knocked out Collingwood supporters would be calling for the death penalty

I and most people here have no problem with Maynard trying to attempt a smother ..... but understand that when you jump forward to smother a ball being kicked by a player running directly at you from a short distance away that it is very "reasonable" and extremely "likely" that you could collide with that said player .... and you should have a duty of care not to hit that player in the head in the attempt to smother ..... just as you have a duty of care when you go to lay a tackle or a bump on a ball carrier not to hit them in the head

It's *ing rocket science

If it was Nick Daicos being knocked out Collingwood supporters would be calling for the death penalty
Maynard's line of attack was safe, it was Brayshaw who stepped in front of him and caused the collision

Not victim-blaming just facts

It's *ing rocket science

Why are you insistent on lying? He wasn't running "directly at him"?

Nick Daicos has already been injured in a footballing accident this year. Can't recall many being too quick to grab their pitchforks then

It's *ing rocket science

Why do you think Daicos is out atm ? Front on contact no suspension , but thats ok hey? As thats only his leg , that doesnt matter yeah?

You need to stop watching the incident in slow motion. Have you admitted he spoiled the ball now ? You did have a problem with that before , you didnt think he smothered it.

Vision goes both ways mate , Brayshaw can see forward as much as Maynard can , laughable you think otherwise

I think a lot of people are really just nervous about Collingwood being $2:50 to win the flag and are pretending to care about 'head injuries' due to this one incident.
Well I think you're wrong ;)

I reckon if Melbourne do make it to the grand final it will be spicy as hell.

Viney, Gawn and Petracca will bring alot of heat.
Lol.....Viney tried to bring the heat on Thursday night immediately after the incident and got sat on his arse.

Back