MCG to host GF through to 2057

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats very scientific of you.....

Comparing Collingwood to to WA teams re travel. So because the Pies travelled to Adelaide for the first time in round 4 and won that dispells the claim that interstate teams travelling to the gf isnt a serious dissadvantage?

Troll post of the year. Well done.

Bulldogs in 2016?

Be careful what you wish for as over the next 20 years this will become more and more likely.

Well I'm sure you know the afl owns all the club names, guenseys and so on. They also have all the venues sewn up. Player contracts too.

Maybe, maybe we can envisage a future with a superleague funded by a media giant who only cares about broadcast revenue and starts a league from scratch. But even those complaining right now will get small solace because 'their' team won't be playing in the breakaway league.

Or alternatively, somehow the state leagues gang up and start a breakaway comp (with lower quality players and much worse venues). Well they can knock themselves out but I don't like the chances of it working. Who would go, and who would pay to watch it? Just so that one day a year the top team gets a home granny?

Comparing Collingwood to to WA teams re travel. So because the Pies travelled to Adelaide for the first time in round 4 and won that dispells the claim that interstate teams travelling to the gf isnt a serious dissadvantage?

No, I was trying to find out if Kranky Al watched the game. He said he's not watching anything other than the Eagles from now on.

Well I'm sure you know the afl owns all the club names, guenseys and so on. They also have all the venues sewn up. Player contracts too.

Maybe, maybe we can envisage a future with a superleague funded by a media giant who only cares about broadcast revenue and starts a league from scratch. But even those complaining right now will get small solace because 'their' team won't be playing in the breakaway league.

Or alternatively, somehow the state leagues gang up and start a breakaway comp (with lower quality players and much worse venues). Well they can knock themselves out but I don't like the chances of it working. Who would go, and who would pay to watch it? Just so that one day a year the top team gets a home granny?

I don’t give a toss about the GF. And you are naive to think it can’t happen. Breakaways need players not clubs and if the punt road tigers are playing you would know it’s richmond.
I am not saying it should or could happen but I know it’s posdible and only needs a lot of money.
My point is that the continuous development of the AFL revolving around the Victorian clubs could one day bite them in the arse. At some point the game has to be run for the national audience. Not happened yet but still hope that one day maybe.

This is a pretty stupid post with a terrible solution. Home ground advantages have been empirically shown to exist. This includes NBA where court sizes are regulated.

You might not want to recognise it because it takes the lustre off Hawthorns 3 peat but playing a home grand final against a non-Vic club is an advantage, regardless of ground dimensions.

Especially when they prepare badly. Even we were shocked how fre didn’t prepare properly and the swans and eagles....well you know the rest

Hawks also had previous gf experience to draw on. Not sure how you legislate that away

You know, repeating a lie doesn't actually make it true...
Here dickhead.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...fl-came-to-shutting-down-20160408-go1x0m.html

Here's one of many articles.

"Of the 11 Victorian Club companies it appears that seven of them are technically insolvent. These clubs are Fitzroy, Geelong, Footscray, Collingwood, Melbourne, North Melbourne and Richmond," he wrote on August 8, 1986.
In the explosive letter, Mr Lewis said he had met with the league's finance director and "during the course of that discussion it was represented to me that Fitzroy, North Melbourne, St Kilda and Melbourne clubs would seek to merge with either one another or some other club companies".

What do you mean by “serious disadvantage”?

Here dickhead.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...fl-came-to-shutting-down-20160408-go1x0m.html

Here's one of many articles.

"Of the 11 Victorian Club companies it appears that seven of them are technically insolvent. These clubs are Fitzroy, Geelong, Footscray, Collingwood, Melbourne, North Melbourne and Richmond," he wrote on August 8, 1986.
In the explosive letter, Mr Lewis said he had met with the league's finance director and "during the course of that discussion it was represented to me that Fitzroy, North Melbourne, St Kilda and Melbourne clubs would seek to merge with either one another or some other club companies".

Gee how easily could it have been with an AFL with Carlton Essendon St Kilda and Hawthorn as the sole Victorian clubs neatly representing north south east west.

Not sure where the afl swans would have washed up

Didn’t need home advantage in finals

Right. But the conversation is two parts. (1) Home ground / non travel advantage being gifted to Vic clubs at the end of a long season where (2) interstate clubs, especially WA clubs, have needed to travel extensively more than Vic based clubs.

So the Dogs in 2016 travelled home many times compared to the Eagles? All the extra travel impacts a teams ability to recover, thats an undisputed fact.

So a fresher Dogs outfit who travelled a lot less ran over an Eagles outfit who didn't really turn up on the day.

To win a flag WA clubs need to either finish top two or have a seriously dominant pool of talent. Playing against non Vic sides also helps.

Regarding who finished higher I've posted before the AFL should give that side something. Sure it looks like it will never be a home GF but the easiest thing to do is let them have the MCG with their home ground dimensions. So SA and WA sides get the wings moved in 10m each side for a narrower oval shaped ground that matches their home ground dimensions. Needs to be a bit of give and take. At the moment it is just biased and providing unfair advantage that erodes the integrity of the game.

I don’t give a toss about the GF. And you are naive to think it can’t happen. Breakaways need players not clubs and if the punt road tigers are playing you would know it’s richmond.
I am not saying it should or could happen but I know it’s posdible and only needs a lot of money.
My point is that the continuous development of the AFL revolving around the Victorian clubs could one day bite them in the arse. At some point the game has to be run for the national audience. Not happened yet but still hope that one day maybe.

We are getting ot but the afl put in place the structure to prevent this decades ago.

If twiggy (or anyone else) wants to give it a try they will need new clubs, new mascots, new Guernsey designs, players to be poached (or else reserve standard) and somewhere to play the games. Yeah you could do it but why would you when it would send you broke, and who would support these new clubs when all the existing ones are still in the afl?

Isn't the contract before expiring in something like 2037? Why add another extra 20 years onto it? There's every chance an interstate stadium could hold the amount of people the MCG does in that timeframe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't the contract before expiring in something like 2037? Why add another extra 20 years onto it? There's every chance an interstate stadium could hold the amount of people the MCG does in that timeframe.
The Government and MCC made some offerings to the AFL in exchange for locking it in for another 20 years and the AFL agreed to it. They knew it wasn't practical to play the GF at the higher teams ground and rotating it wouldn't solve all the travel and home ground advantage problems, so they took the cash and redevelopment offers.

SA and WA just built stadiums.
NSW is converting theirs to a rectangle.
Seriously doubt there will be another 100k stadium in Australia, anyway it's not just about capacity.

Reading between the lines Etihad gets upgrades which may make the precinct more attractive generally

There’s less detail on the mcg but you’d imagine a larger footprint for the southern stand and a precinct over the rail tracks, better Richmond station access ( maybe station rebuilt neared to mcg and tennis complex) along with some commercial spaces for extra earnings and more of a week round presence

Reports are the planning may take 10years so why lock in grand finals now? It seems the mcg clubs and Etihad clubs too will have earnings boost straight away which might be linked to less reliance on pokies revenue which is ‘bad optics’

There’ll be increased capacity although some reports are just increased seating capacity ( which is about 95k now)

There was byplay in that lobbyists for either major stadium won’t let the other get upgrades without the ‘me too’ push

It seems the same is happening in Sydney between Homebush and the SCG trust

The Government and MCC made some offerings to the AFL in exchange for locking it in for another 20 years and the AFL agreed to it. They knew it wasn't practical to play the GF at the higher teams ground and rotating it wouldn't solve all the travel and home ground advantage problems, so they took the cash and redevelopment offers.

SA and WA just built stadiums.
NSW is converting theirs to a rectangle.
Seriously doubt there will be another 100k stadium in Australia, anyway it's not just about capacity.

Yep. It also appears the only remaining major wish by a sport is for soccer to have a rectangular stadium exclusively so they can maintain a world class stadium with pitch free from rugby. You’d imagine that would be in NSW

I come to Melbourne all the time, it’s great. I just don’t want the Grand Final played there regardless of merit, indefinitely.

And hey, Unley Road is in like our top three roads, man!
I stayed in the leafy end of Unley Rd over Easter! Beautiful weather, heaps of op-shops to forage through. Great coffee shops and all the bars I went to did a brilliant counter meal. They got a bar there called "BIGGIES", great tunes and a puppy there too! Wonderful Japanese food and the best people in any major Australian city! It's not even close! So many great things out South!

See you don't need a grand final. Let us Victorians have that otherwise we'll have to make do with all the other shitty sporting events we have like the Car Racing one, the Australian Open, and those awful Horse things later on (aka the sluts & bogan ball).

Yes it's unfair but the whole competition is. s**t fixture, rubbish broadcasting.

I don't believe the MCG is a significant advantage but if you tell me it's going to help my team win a grand final then heck yeah I'll take it.

Whilst SA and WA were asleep at the wheel developing stadiums with increases from 45-50k to 55-60k, the mcg were quietly planning to upgrade from 100-110k.

forget dreaming about hosting the gf. you still only have half a stadium. 110k is the future benchmark.

a victorian masterstroke like Brad Hodge cracking one through the coversp

lmao

Last edited:
Right. But the conversation is two parts. (1) Home ground / non travel advantage being gifted to Vic clubs at the end of a long season where (2) interstate clubs, especially WA clubs, have needed to travel extensively more than Vic based clubs.

So the Dogs in 2016 travelled home many times compared to the Eagles? All the extra travel impacts a teams ability to recover, thats an undisputed fact.

So a fresher Dogs outfit who travelled a lot less ran over an Eagles outfit who didn't really turn up on the day.

To win a flag WA clubs need to either finish top two or have a seriously dominant pool of talent. Playing against non Vic sides also helps.

Regarding who finished higher I've posted before the AFL should give that side something. Sure it looks like it will never be a home GF but the easiest thing to do is let them have the MCG with their home ground dimensions. So SA and WA sides get the wings moved in 10m each side for a narrower oval shaped ground that matches their home ground dimensions. Needs to be a bit of give and take. At the moment it is just biased and providing unfair advantage that erodes the integrity of the game.

The doggies travelled twice and faced Hawthorn at the mcg despite having had just two games at the mcg themselves. It’s so close to what is being complained about in here it’s not funny.

As for the dimensions. Perth (and to a lesser extent Gold Coast Adelaide gws) had a perfect opportunity to build a stadium with MCG dimensions) your suggestion would be really ridiculous if Geelong asked for one wing of the mcg to be taken tight in like their home ground

As for who finished higher, I think the top team has not gone that well in grand finals, regardless of the home state of the various teams. Maybe it’s another cause?

Whilst SA and WA were asleep at the wheel developing stadiums with increases from 45-50k to 55-60k, the mcg were quietly planning to upgrade from 100-110k.

forget dreaming about hosting the gf. you still only have half a stadium. 110k is the future benchmark.

a victorian masterstroke like Brad Hodge cracking one through the coversp

lmao

You know what I think deep down we all love the MCG and I think some of the comments in this thread are not so much about the GF but more about the AFL continuing to put Victorian footy first above all else.
The old comment of this is what you joined is a relic comment from 30 years ago, the Eagles and Bears joined the VFL, the Crows, Port, GWS and a good Coast joined the AFL. Same continuous comp but AFL was supposed to mean the game went national.
Look it is what it is, I actually wouldn’t care if they renamed it the VFL as it would be a better fit.

Victoria is the beating heart of footy and is now growing in population faster than anywhere.

I think the key thing which happened was giving each other state a second team. The individual strength of each team is diminished slightly, particularly as drafting shows a minimum of 50% victorians coming into the league each year

Any people from England posting? Does everyone arc up that the NW and London gets all the success in soccer?

Victoria is the beating heart of footy and is now growing in population faster than anywhere.

Any people from England posting? Does everyone arc up that the NW and London gets all the success in soccer?

Victorians have always been great supporters of sport and in particular Aussie Rules, I don’t think their supporters heart beats anymore than those in WA or SA though for the sport, just lots more of them.

Gee how easily could it have been with an AFL with Carlton Essendon St Kilda and Hawthorn as the sole Victorian clubs neatly representing north south east west.

Not sure where the afl swans would have washed up

Geelong sold off Greg Williams, Bernard Toohey, David Bolton and coach Tom Hafey to Swans in 1986, to get the books right, so in effect, 6 clubs at that point in clear. 5 in Victoria, 1 in New South Wales. The other 6 needed to sort out their finances real quick. Be interesting to know in reality, if the only thing that kept those other 6 afloat was league adding a club from Brisbane and Perth and licence fee influx distributed to those clubs as a loan to keep the finances at bay.

Victorians have always been great supporters of sport and in particular Aussie Rules, I don’t think their supporters heart beats anymore than those in WA or SA though for the sport, just lots more of them.

Yes, Tasmania people. South Aussie people and West Aussies love the game every bit as much as those in Victoria.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back