MCG World Cup Furore

Remove this Banner Ad

Linzman

Senior List
May 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How heart-breaking are these articles & ill-informed comments in the Herald-Sun and The Age? in regards to
The AFL saying that the AFL season would have to be cancelled if we got the World Cup? As a Soccer and AFL lover it’s like watching
Your parents argue in a “he said, she said”. The FFA have come out to say that Demetriou’s suggestion of canning the season is unfounded, this has been reported in The Age and soccer sites but the Herald Sun seem to be content to fuel a harmful fire.

I stay out of the s**t fights on the main board, I hope you are not attracting the idiots here.

I thought at least there was a level of co operation amongst the codes before the bid was formally supported by the government.

After committing the funds to bid how cut would they be with the AFL and NRL scaremongering and trying to bring it down from inside our own country.

Yes scare mongering.

Heard Mike Sheehan's article in today's Herald Sun is a comedy piece. No balls to pull the article even after the FFA said that the 16 week unavailability of the ground is BS. Just AFL lies again.

MCG2022.jpg

Beautiful. Make it happen FFA:thumbsu:

Don't see why we need Etihad. One Melbourne ground should be enough if all the other cities are involved plus major regionals have their stadia upgraded (Newcastle, Canberra, Gold Coast, Wollongong).

Let the little boys have their cake and eat it. I think we all recognise the AFL's grandstanding as purely that - just trying to use their leverage and get the possible deal for their sport, with the help of certain cheerleaders in the media. We'll be wondering what the fuss was about soon enough.

What do you expect from a bogan, one eyed biased piece of s**t paper that only the ill-informed and conservative w***ers read?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As opposed to a left-wing, facist, Marxist, newspaper like the Age, which is read by arty snobs, intellectual w***ers, ABC-watchers and bleeding-hearts.

At least the "letters to the editor" page in the Sun allows all opinions, whereas the Age won't print your letter unless it upholds Left-Wing ideologies, bags John Howard over a year after he has left office, and invovles using big words to make yourself look "intellectual".

Demetriou & Collins make me sick.

I'm ashamed to be an AFL supporter at the moment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Demetriou and Collins told me that you make them sick , and they are ashamed to have you as an AFL supporter at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why aren't soccer fans questioning the ffa's role in this aurgument. the afl and mcg have put on the public record recently the lack of comunication from ffa re. the bid and ground use. this morning we read ethihad was on the table at sth africa last week yet we only find out about now. strikes me as complete arrogace on behalf of the countrys soccer governing body.
I also question the economic benefits of the tournament. fifa, being one of the most corrupt sporting organisations on the planet will cetainly be lining their pockets; how much will slip through to the locals?

how much will slip through to the locals?

I'm sure if we try really hard, we can keep some of the money that will be spent by the let's say 500,000 foreign fans on accomodation, clothing, foods, drinks, tourism activities etc out of FIFA's hands :)

I'm sure if we try really hard, we can keep some of the money that will be spent by the let's say 500,000 foreign fans on accomodation, clothing, foods, drinks, tourism activities etc out of FIFA's hands :)

you only answered half the question.
and by the way, being a sm*rt ar*se does not enhance your answer.

Smart arse or not, it's still a legit answer.

Lowie has spoken.

I can't find it back, but somewhere I read that Brazil were expecting 500,000 fans on average spending around $110 per day in 2014. That would add up.

A world cup would not only attract people who might otherwise never visit Australia, but it would also make people visit tourist destinations and spend money outside of their football activities.

Not to mention the massive publicity it would give Australia. I kid you not, when I met my Australian wife I had never heard of Brisbane. I was a Belgian uni student at the time and, pardon my arrogance for a sec, I believe I did know more about the world than the average European. I only knew Melbourne from the Australian Open, the GP and Mark Viduka.

why aren't soccer fans questioning the ffa's role in this aurgument. the afl and mcg have put on the public record recently the lack of comunication from ffa re. the bid and ground use. this morning we read ethihad was on the table at sth africa last week yet we only find out about now. strikes me as complete arrogace on behalf of the countrys soccer governing body.

Lack of communictaion? More like the AFL pleading igorance. One thing is that its either 8.5 or 12.5 years away, plenty if time for the more detail. Secondly Demetriou would have known from day one of the bid that Etihad was on the table.

Lack of communictaion? More like the AFL pleading igorance.

back it up sigley. both demetriou and gough have said they have had little or no direct contact from the ffa.
we only just found out about ethihad yet it was in the formal proposal put up at sth africa last week.

and kompany this is the half of the question i'm refering to. i'm shaking my head i have to point it out, but then again i reckon you're just skippn around it. have a crack

it's not just the afl. the following remarks are from gallop of the nrl

NRL chief executive David Gallop said yesterday the code didn't want to be an obstacle to Australia winning the right to host the world's biggest sporting event but said there are concerns that need to be addressed by the bid organisers.
''We've got a meeting with them later this week and that will hopefully shed some more light on it,'' Gallop said. ''We don't want to stand in the way of the World Cup, but it's difficult to see how we could be expected to fall off the face of the earth. Certainly ideas like running Origin over a three-week period are a major concern to us.''

and kompany this is the half of the question i'm refering to. i'm shaking my head i have to point it out, but then again i reckon you're just skippn around it. have a crack

You can keep shaking your head, mate, I haven't followed this whole FFA v AFL issue at all to be honest.

I only quoted what you on what was of interest to me.

Lack of communictaion? More like the AFL pleading igorance.

back it up sigley. both demetriou and gough have said they have had little or no direct contact from the ffa.
we only just found out about ethihad yet it was in the formal proposal put up at sth africa last week.
Back yourself up. The FFA and Afl have met 14 times over the past year and a half over the requirements. He must have a bad memory or bad employees. Given Demetriou is a known liar then You are just one of disciples spreading his spin. He is angling for compensation. David gallop does it without bs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back