Matildas The Matildas and The 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe the tournament has come and gone. It started a month ago and feel like it was done in the blink of an eye. Before the tournament outside of the Matildas I had little to no interest in anyone else, but then I got to watch the games and see the teams and with quite a few of the players I google searched and looked at their backstories and became fans of. Will definitely be following how some of them go at club level.

Also, proud of the way both Australia and New Zealand hosted the tournament, how big the crowds were at all the games and how well behaved everyone was...besides that Fed Square incident a few days ago. Well done Aussies and Kiwis...GIVE US ANOTHER TOURNAMENT!

Just heard on the news that the Matildas are getting a mural at Stadium Australia, and a statue outside Suncorp.....4th is a good result, but both?
Mural is fine, A statue is a little overkill imo. I don’t know how you’ll do a statue with the whole team, might just be a cheap temporary one.

It had left the ground when the ball was struck, therefore it is the front foot that counts as the contact point
On a second look I think you are right. Its a dumb rule anyway. Keeper should be allowed reasonable movement not designed to put off the taker.

Should've been retaken though. The rules are clear. They didn't even check which is very, very surprising particularly in a World Cup final.
Being able to move early and narrow the angle (by jumping forward) does make it easier for the keeper.
And the fact they took 5 minutes to review, summon the ref, look at a million replays, to then pay the penalty. I get "wanting to be sure cause it's a WC final" but seriously they should have summoned the ref over in 30 seconds. And she could have awarded it immediately.

Cause from any angle it was a penalty (even if you don't like the call, there's no doubt about it).

Yet we don't check to see the keeper come way off the line and beat the ball to the corner....

And the fact they took 5 minutes to review, summon the ref, look at a million replays, to then pay the penalty. I get "wanting to be sure cause it's a WC final" but seriously they should have summoned the ref over in 30 seconds. And she could have awarded it immediately.

Cause from any angle it was a penalty (even if you don't like the call, there's no doubt about it).

Yet we don't check to see the keeper come way off the line and beat the ball to the corner....

I'm not sure what took the ref so long with that VAR review. Clear movement towards the ball with the arm - ball hits outstretched arm. Stonewaller. Not sure what she was looking at over and over again on the replay. The second I saw the replay I knew a pen was the end result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should've been retaken though. The rules are clear. They didn't even check which is very, very surprising particularly in a World Cup final.
Being able to move early and narrow the angle (by jumping forward) does make it easier for the keeper.
Not A Matilda.
#snobs

The problem is, like with all tight offsides, the players boot is on the ball for more than 1 frame. So pretty much every tight offside can be both onside and offside depending on which frame you want to use. If you roll this forward one frame, the boot will still be on the ball, but the keepers foot will no longer be on the line.

The rules are also clear that when the Spanish player kicked the ball into the crowd to waste time she should have been sent off as it a yellow card offence and she had already received one yellow car

To be fair, they decided that the penalty from Hurtig against the USA in the shootout in the round of 16 was over by a millimetre at best, so they're consistent about their approach to the use of video technology. Doesn't really take into account a margin of error, but FIFA are sticking to their guns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back