Roast Media Shakes Head, Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is my explanation of our names correct
In the AFL we are the Port Adelaide Football Club with our nickname being The Power, and
In the SANFL we are also the Port Adelaide Football Club with our nickname being The Magpies
Although at AFL games I now tend to scream out Go Ports.
We are the Port Adelaide Football Cub, a single entity.

We compete in both the AFL, our firsts, and the SNAFL, our seconds.

Our traditional nickname is the Magpies however on entering the AFL that was already taken so we adopted The Power nickname for our AFL team. Our SNAFL team continues to use the Magpies nickname.

Ross Lyon's views on Port Adelaide are less valid

True.

But Lyon has a platform on national TV and has spent the past few months in a tandem jerkfest with his buddy McGuire spreading utter lies about the history of the PAFC that are demonstrably untrue.

Lyon is entitled to have an opinion on any aspect of the AFL. But he, and his program producers at Channel 9 and associated media, have a responsibility to ensure that what he touts as 'fact' on nationally broadcast media programs actually has a basis in truth and is not part of an orchestrated propaganda campaign for personal or professional benefit.

I don't get why journos working on news programs are called to account for their statements and commentary and yet sports journos (which Lyon and McGuire are now employed as ) are allowed to repeatedly sprout absolute and utter BS masquerading as facts that suits their personal agenda.

Sorry, I should retract my comment about Lyon being a drunk. I had him mixed up with Grant Thomas. He's still a campaigner though.

Drunk on that sweet sweet poontang

We are the Port Adelaide Football Cub, a single entity.

We compete in both the AFL, our firsts, and the SNAFL, our seconds.

Our traditional nickname is the Magpies however on entering the AFL that was already taken so we adopted The Power nickname for our AFL team. Our SNAFL team continues to use the Magpies nickname.
Yep, even I can understand that even if most things about the modern world now elude me. So why does the media struggle so?

Dwaynne is worse then Overthinking Dermie

As a long time watcher of rugby league I can remember when Rex Mossop started to drift into "WTF is this campaigner on about?" territory. Derm is really starting to remind me of cuckoos nest era Rex.

Sorry, I should retract my comment about Lyon being a drunk. I had him mixed up with Grant Thomas. He's still a campaigner though.

Yeah I thought it didn't make sense. I pictured Ross sitting in a dark corner of the pub alone drinking soda water and quietly judging everyone having fun.

Yeah I thought it didn't make sense. I pictured Ross sitting in a dark corner of the pub alone drinking soda water and quietly judging everyone having fun.

Yeah, I don't watch footy classified but remember Grant Thomas being a panellist the last time I did watch it. So he was the one who was stuck in my head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...media, have a responsibility to ensure that what it touts as 'fact' on nationally broadcast media programs actually has a basis in truth and is not part of an orchestrated propaganda campaign...
Everything you said is true but I've highlighted the above passage because I think it perfectly describes all media on all topics nowadays. Modern media is just opinion and narrative masquerading as factual reporting and truth.

The club need to issue a please explain to MMM specifically Ross Lyon, how he is able to get away with saying definitively that we aren't port adelaide football club, we are port power and that we acquiesced that right when we agreed to join the afl is disrespectful and a blatant lie. Talk about a puppet with eddies hand up his arse.

Modern media is just opinion and narrative masquerading as factual reporting and truth.

That might be true.

But if Ross Lyon and his mate Eddie McGuire were to go on national TV this week and state that the world is flat or there are pixies living at the bottom of their gardens they would be ridiculed and and castigated as lying old fools. They would be removed from air within days.

Why then can these two men go on national media and say, as they have in recent weeks, that 'Port Power was the entity that joined the AFL, not the Port Adelaide Football Club'; that Port Adelaide 'receives $6m a year more from the AFL than does the Collingwood Football Club'; that 'the Port Adelaide Football Club is selling their AFL licensed prison bars jumpers to their members, against AFL rules'.

These are not offered up as 'opinions' by these 2 men but as 'facts' that are then replicated across other media platforms as if they were true.

Each of these statements, and others made by McGuire over the course of this year about what Port is doing and why, are blatantly untrue in fact and can be easily proven to be so by simply looking at the AFL Annual Reports, the 1996 Port Adelaide AFL licence agreement that sits in AFL House and visiting the physical or online PAFC merchandise shop.

Gil McLachlan makes threats of a loss of Premiership points and huge fines to stop Port wearing the jumper it has been wearing since 1902 in a home game against its Adelaide rival and yet continues to allow these malicious lies about one of the AFL's member clubs (now coupled with personal abuse directed at its President as part of an AFL game telecast btw) to be propagated on national TV, unchallenged.

Mark Twain famously said 'A lie can spread half way around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes'.

If MMM, Channel 9 etc. are not prepared to correct the lies then surely the AFL must step in.

Gil McLachlan came into his role as AFL CEO in 2014 claiming he was the 'CEO for the fans'.

And yet here he stands...mute, while the PAFC and its tens of thousands of fans are pummelled with lies and mistruths on national media platforms (including AFL telecasts) by Victorian based current and former AFL identities in a desperate attempt to deny them access to their long and proud heritage.

Absolutely pathetic. /rant

Lol caller on fiveaa ringing in to say they aren’t jealous of Port.
The Crowies are restless.
Rowey listing all the hundreds of reasons Crows are better than Port.
Gee he really is upset about the bars for the song.
Bickley saying he personally is jealous of Port right now.
The they managed to get a ‘Port power’ supporter on who couldn’t give a stuff of the bloody bars but then he goes on to mention the tarps lol.
They are SO UPSET.

Last edited:
That might be true.

But if Ross Lyon and his mate Eddie McGuire were to go on national TV this week and state that the world is flat or there are pixies living at the bottom of their gardens they would be ridiculed and and castigated as lying old fools. They would be removed from air within days.

Why then can these two men go on national media and say, as they have in recent weeks, that 'Port Power was the entity that joined the AFL, not the Port Adelaide Football Club'; that Port Adelaide 'receives $6m a year more from the AFL than does the Collingwood Football Club'; that 'the Port Adelaide Football Club is selling their AFL licensed prison bars jumpers to their members, against AFL rules'.

These are not offered up as 'opinions' by these 2 men but as 'facts' that are then replicated across other media platforms as if they were true.

Each of these statements, and others made by McGuire over the course of this year about what Port is doing and why, are blatantly untrue in fact and can be easily proven to be so by simply looking at the AFL Annual Reports, the 1996 Port Adelaide AFL licence agreement that sits in AFL House and visiting the physical or online PAFC merchandise shop.

Gil McLachlan makes threats of a loss of Premiership points and huge fines to stop Port wearing the jumper it has been wearing since 1902 in a home game against its Adelaide rival and yet continues to allow these malicious lies about one of the AFL's member clubs (now coupled with personal abuse directed at its President as part of an AFL game telecast btw) to be propagated on national TV, unchallenged.

Mark Twain famously said 'A lie can spread half way around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes'.

If MMM, Channel 9 etc. are not prepared to correct the lies then surely the AFL must step in.

Gil McLachlan came into his role as AFL CEO in 2014 claiming he was the 'CEO for the fans'.

And yet here he stands...mute, while the PAFC and its tens of thousands of fans are pummelled with lies and mistruths on national media platforms (including AFL telecasts) by Victorian based current and former AFL identities in a desperate attempt to deny them access to their long and proud heritage.

Absolutely pathetic. /rant
Eddie and Lyon etc are reminiscent of the Adelaide media frenzy led by KG against Port Adelaide in the 80's and 90's.

Well if you can't beat them, join them.
Media conferences with random sentences thrown in

"Collingwood actually stole their Magpie logo from the South Australian State team Piping Shrike logo - and they and their fans haven't stopped stealing since"
"Fact: Eddie McGuire was so passionate about the B&W stripes that he personally refused the AFLW team wearing the same guernsey because "they haven't earned it""
"I wonder if Eddie has taken the whole Black and White thing too literally when it came to running the Collingwood Football Club"
After beating them in Rd 10 - "I hope Ross Lyon was watching the Collingwood game today, taking notes for when he's coaching the return game in Rd 19 - right Eddie?"
"Collingwood are actually receiving more than Port Adelaide from the AFL when including the estimated $10M benefit from favourable game days and timeslots each year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back