News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

The full Harley interview for those that missed it.
Club got it out pretty damn quickly.

Good interview, he didn't give much away, a laugh not liking Shuey as a player.
No reaction to the last comment about staying 7-8 years in Perth.
Must be strange to be in a new city, not getting out much due to footy, and trying to find your way around, obviously goes with mates..
But handled all the homesickness stuff well, looked almost tired of hearing or answering that topic. Shouldn't be a biggie, lots of 19 yr olds away from home doing footy, travelling, working etc..
I remember that brief footage after the game of Oliver walking towards him shaking his head and smiling as if to say 'Jeez mate that was something else!"

View attachment 1997450
So even after saying he’s not homesick here’s the headline the HUN are running. What a joke.
I just love how the keep slamming the west for their back pages(which nobody reads anyway), yet they just released constant stories about him non-stop and have been since before he was even drafted.

They call Perth a fishbowl but the spotlight on him would be immense if he was in Melbourne.

Self-awareness sorely lacking from the Vic media, as usual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just love how the keep slamming the west for their back pages(which nobody reads anyway), yet they just released constant stories about him non-stop and have been since before he was even drafted.

They call Perth a fishbowl but the spotlight on him would be immense if he was in Melbourne.

Self-awareness sorely lacking from the Vic media, as usual.
The dictionary definition of hypocrisy, the way they carried on pre draft too.

Mark Stone on his regular 6PR slot with some nice nuggets of information from our Melbourne game

Link was/is in the above post from Keys, but if like me you just watched the video instead of reading the tweet, go here to listen to Mark talk about the Eagles at the start of the show.

Watson tried hard to get him to say something about being homesick or hating Perths "fishbowl"

Harley fended him harder than he did Oliver
It’s well known that you only get homesick after east to west flights not west to east. It’s because east to west is far far far further than west to east flights - and especially if you’re in business class.

It’s well known that you only get homesick after east to west flights not west to east. It’s because east to west is far far far further than west to east flights - and especially if you’re in business class.
And if you want to move west, you owe it to the Vic club that drafted you and treated like a traitor.

Does anyone happen to remember when a single Cripps throw made national news back in 2021?

Oliver had 16 handballs on the weekend and only one free against. That’s 15 throws unpenalised.

Where’s the national news story?
Yeah I remember that. Dunstall had a field day with that.
Bulldogs were rugby passing the ball around and one of our players gets singled out like it's a pandemic with us and we are bringing the game into disrepute. Had a good laugh at that.

There is NO RISK in AFL reporting these days. It is an industry of all REWARD.

By NO RISK I mean you can make the most absurd claim (referencing sources), or make the most insane predictions and if it is eventually proven wrong there is NO RISK to you that your position will be questioned.

So much of what we are fed these days does not hold up from a common sense perspective yet nobody calls it out.

There is an acceptance now that every AFL show needs one of these NO RISK absurd commentators to attract an audience.

What it's done is turned me off watching or listening to these programs as I can't stomach the diet of utter garbage these commentators feed us.

I used to lap up any coverage I could get of AFL.

I would love one decent show that truly dissected games, truly broke down coaching moves, truly told us about who is coming through the ranks at our clubs (2nd's analysis).

Only one club wins the flag each year, it seems if you don't the answer is to either sack your coach or engage in absurd trade strategies. Such one dimensional analysis.

Not one commentator has articulated how the storyline has moved from "West Coast need Priority Picks" after a 76 point loss in Round 3 to now holding 3 wins and mowing down the Dees by 35 points last weekend.

It's a multi dimensional storyline of veterans improving, under 50 game players developing, a significant reduction in injuries week to week, belief building in a group that was bashed in every direction last year, a surprise packet red hot KF emerging from the shadows and a smoking hot kid as the cherry on top.

This side could well be 5 wins after 12 rounds and sitting 14th.

But let's go with the NO RISK storylines of homesickness, missed trade opportunities, assessing the list as horrid, giving the coach no dues, simply saying everyone is "fit" again.

NO RISK = PATHETIC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back