News Media Thread

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

I didn’t want to be the one to break the theme of this thread… dammit.

Geoff Valentine signs on as new Peel Thunder coach

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Braden Quartermaine and Mark Duffield select Fremantle Dockers’ best 22 ahead of 2022 AFL season
Mark Duffield and Braden QuartermaineThe West Australian
Thu, 21 October 2021 5:35PM

Did [PLAYERCARD]Will Brodie[/PLAYERCARD], [PLAYERCARD]Jordan Clark[/PLAYERCARD] and [PLAYERCARD]Griffin Logue[/PLAYERCARD] make Fremantle's best 22 from Mark Duffield and Braden Quartermaine.

Did Will Brodie, Jordan Clark and Griffin Logue make Fremantle's best 22 from Mark Duffield and Braden Quartermaine. Credit: AFL Photos

The trade period is done and dusted, so The West Australian’s football experts Mark Duffield and Braden Quartermaine pick their best 22 for Fremantle ahead of the 2022 AFL season.
Mark Duffield’s Team
B: Luke Ryan, Alex Pearce, Griffin Logue
HB: Hayden Young, Brennan Cox, Heath Chapman
C: Jordan Clark, Nat Fyfe, Darcy Tucker
HF: Michael Frederick, Matt Taberner, Michael Walters
Forwards: Sam Sturt, Rory Lobb, Lachie Schultz
Rucks: Sean Darcy, Andrew Brayshaw, Caleb Serong
Int: Brandon Walker, Travis Colyer, Josh Treacy, David Mundy
Medi Sub: James Aish
Emergencies: Liam Henry, Joel Hamling, Will Brodie, Sam Switkowski

Most of us think Fremantle are heading in the right direction but if there is a concern, it is that they are creeping rather than sprinting in that direction.
With that in mind, if I was picking their round one team I would be bold, even a bit ballsy, and this team places a strong emphasis on youth and speed. Speed all around the ground has been a great point of difference for Melbourne and Richmond in recent seasons.
The motto to start 2022 for Fremantle? Speed kills.
There are tough calls made in this team. Joel Hamling isn’t in it after two years out:
You are not playing all four of the Dockers tall defenders in the rare event that they are all fit and Griffin Logue’s efforts a couple of times on Brisbane’s electric small forward Charlie Cameron tell me he is the best “third tall” at the back.
Heath Chapman starts the season in this team if fit. He was good early last year and will be better and stronger after another pre-season.
That means Geelong recruit Jordan Clark plays on a wing and it’s worth backing Darcy Tucker to return to his best form on the other wing.

He has wheels and a raking left foot but sometimes needs time and space to use it. The only departure from youth and speed is the omission of Liam Henry. Time to challenge Henry to earn his spot.
He hasn’t done quite enough with quite a bit of opportunity.
Sam Sturt gives the Dockers a point of difference in attack. He has the potential to be like Melbourne’s Bayley Fritsch. Injury has meant we have only seen glimpses but, touchwood, he gets through the pre-season and can showcase a forward’s instinct, an uncanny ability to out body bigger opponents and a deadly left foot.
The calls made on James Aish and Nathan Wilson are tough and I thought seriously about Sam Switkowski ahead of Travis Colyer.
Sooner or later you have to move past your middle-of-the-roaders and I would challenge Hamling, Wilson, Aish, Henry, newcomer Will Brodie and others to fight their way into the team.
Braden Quartermaine’s Team:
B: Luke Ryan, Joel Hamling, Griffin Logue
HB: Hayden Young, Brennan Cox, Jordan Clark
C: Michael Frederick, Nat Fyfe, Darcy Tucker
HF: David Mundy, Matt Taberner, Sam Switkowski
Forwards: Michael Walters, Rory Lobb, Lachie Schultz
Int: James Aish, Sam Sturt Nathan Wilson, Liam Henry
Medi Sub: Travis Colyer
Emergencies: Josh Treacy, Connor Blakely, Ethan Hughes

Pondering theoretical line-ups for Fremantle is a bit like asking who your ideal date would be. You can always dream but it doesn’t mean it’s ever going to happen.
The Dockers have been hampered by long term injuries for so long that team selection has become about who’s available: love the one you’re with.
So there’s a couple of leaps of faith here with Joel Hamling, who has played one game in the past two seasons, and Sam Sturt, who has made four appearances in three seasons. The side also includes Brennan Cox and Michael Frederick off long-term injuries.
Alex Pearce is unlucky to miss the cut, but history tells you the Dockers don’t have all four of their tall defenders available at the same time anyway so it’s a tough call that might not ever need to be made.
I’d like promising youngster Heath Chapman in the back-line, but with similar types Luke Ryan and Hayden Young automatic selections it makes it hard if you’re also playing three tall defenders.

Geelong recruit Jordan Clark made it clear his favourite position is half-back so, given the big investment the Fremantle have made in him, that’s where I would put him.

It’s meant leaving out solid options like Chapman, Ethan Hughes and Brandon Walker but I think every effort has to go towards ensuring the Clark trade is a success so he should play where he’s most comfortable to begin with.

Youngster Liam Henry has been left in the wake of fellow top-10 draft picks Caleb Serong and Young, but the 20-year-old could be ready for a breakout season.

Young forward Liam Henry will have to fight for his spot at Fremantle.

Young forward Liam Henry will have to fight for his spot at Fremantle. Credit: Steve Bell/AFL Photos/via AFL Photos
Henry enjoyed a brilliant summer on the track last year so if he can stack another strong pre-season on top of that and put on a bit more size, he should be well placed.
Having said that, he’s played just three WAFL league matches in his life and allowing him to gain some confidence at the lower level early in the season wouldn’t be a bad thing either.

Channels

All Australian
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Braden Quartermaine and Mark Duffield select Fremantle Dockers’ best 22 ahead of 2022 AFL season
Mark Duffield and Braden QuartermaineThe West Australian
Thu, 21 October 2021 5:35PM

Did Will Brodie, Jordan Clark and Griffin Logue make Fremantle's best 22 from Mark Duffield and Braden Quartermaine.'s best 22 from Mark Duffield and Braden Quartermaine.

Did Will Brodie, Jordan Clark and Griffin Logue make Fremantle's best 22 from Mark Duffield and Braden Quartermaine. Credit: AFL Photos

The trade period is done and dusted, so The West Australian’s football experts Mark Duffield and Braden Quartermaine pick their best 22 for Fremantle ahead of the 2022 AFL season.
Mark Duffield’s Team
B: Luke Ryan, Alex Pearce, Griffin Logue
HB: Hayden Young, Brennan Cox, Heath Chapman
C: Jordan Clark, Nat Fyfe, Darcy Tucker
HF: Michael Frederick, Matt Taberner, Michael Walters
Forwards: Sam Sturt, Rory Lobb, Lachie Schultz
Int: Brandon Walker, Travis Colyer, Josh Treacy, David Mundy
Medi Sub: James Aish
Emergencies: Liam Henry, Joel Hamling, Will Brodie, Sam Switkowski

Most of us think Fremantle are heading in the right direction but if there is a concern, it is that they are creeping rather than sprinting in that direction.
With that in mind, if I was picking their round one team I would be bold, even a bit ballsy, and this team places a strong emphasis on youth and speed. Speed all around the ground has been a great point of difference for Melbourne and Richmond in recent seasons.
The motto to start 2022 for Fremantle? Speed kills.
There are tough calls made in this team. Joel Hamling isn’t in it after two years out:
You are not playing all four of the Dockers tall defenders in the rare event that they are all fit and Griffin Logue’s efforts a couple of times on Brisbane’s electric small forward Charlie Cameron tell me he is the best “third tall” at the back.
Heath Chapman starts the season in this team if fit. He was good early last year and will be better and stronger after another pre-season.
That means Geelong recruit Jordan Clark plays on a wing and it’s worth backing Darcy Tucker to return to his best form on the other wing.

He has wheels and a raking left foot but sometimes needs time and space to use it. The only departure from youth and speed is the omission of Liam Henry. Time to challenge Henry to earn his spot.
He hasn’t done quite enough with quite a bit of opportunity.
Sam Sturt gives the Dockers a point of difference in attack. He has the potential to be like Melbourne’s Bayley Fritsch. Injury has meant we have only seen glimpses but, touchwood, he gets through the pre-season and can showcase a forward’s instinct, an uncanny ability to out body bigger opponents and a deadly left foot.
The calls made on James Aish and Nathan Wilson are tough and I thought seriously about Sam Switkowski ahead of Travis Colyer.
Sooner or later you have to move past your middle-of-the-roaders and I would challenge Hamling, Wilson, Aish, Henry, newcomer Will Brodie and others to fight their way into the team.
Braden Quartermaine’s Team:
B: Luke Ryan, Joel Hamling, Griffin Logue
HB: Hayden Young, Brennan Cox, Jordan Clark
C: Michael Frederick, Nat Fyfe, Darcy Tucker
HF: David Mundy, Matt Taberner, Sam Switkowski
Forwards: Michael Walters, Rory Lobb, Lachie Schultz
Int: James Aish, Sam Sturt Nathan Wilson, Liam Henry
Medi Sub: Travis Colyer
Emergencies: Josh Treacy, Connor Blakely, Ethan Hughes

Pondering theoretical line-ups for Fremantle is a bit like asking who your ideal date would be. You can always dream but it doesn’t mean it’s ever going to happen.
The Dockers have been hampered by long term injuries for so long that team selection has become about who’s available: love the one you’re with.
So there’s a couple of leaps of faith here with Joel Hamling, who has played one game in the past two seasons, and Sam Sturt, who has made four appearances in three seasons. The side also includes Brennan Cox and Michael Frederick off long-term injuries.
Alex Pearce is unlucky to miss the cut, but history tells you the Dockers don’t have all four of their tall defenders available at the same time anyway so it’s a tough call that might not ever need to be made.
I’d like promising youngster Heath Chapman in the back-line, but with similar types Luke Ryan and Hayden Young automatic selections it makes it hard if you’re also playing three tall defenders.

Geelong recruit Jordan Clark made it clear his favourite position is half-back so, given the big investment the Fremantle have made in him, that’s where I would put him.

It’s meant leaving out solid options like Chapman, Ethan Hughes and Brandon Walker but I think every effort has to go towards ensuring the Clark trade is a success so he should play where he’s most comfortable to begin with.

Youngster Liam Henry has been left in the wake of fellow top-10 draft picks Caleb Serong and Young, but the 20-year-old could be ready for a breakout season.

Young forward Liam Henry will have to fight for his spot at Fremantle.

Young forward Liam Henry will have to fight for his spot at Fremantle. Credit: Steve Bell/AFL Photos/via AFL Photos
Henry enjoyed a brilliant summer on the track last year so if he can stack another strong pre-season on top of that and put on a bit more size, he should be well placed.
Having said that, he’s played just three WAFL league matches in his life and allowing him to gain some confidence at the lower level early in the season wouldn’t be a bad thing either.

So under the new guidelines, this wouldn't be the thread to comment that Michael Walters hasn't done enough in the last 2 years to be considered best 22?

And I shouldn't use this thread to say that it's bold to put a 32 game player in Jordan Clark who couldn't crack the Geelong best 22 in the best 23 at Freo?

PM mods to discuss further but the idea is to have one place you can easily see ALL media content on Freo. The articles can and should be discussed in relevant threads.

For example, the article above is already being discussed in another thread. The old thread would have haphazard discussion in the media thread (as it’s started above) and a different thread. This adds more structure and is better at keeping relevant discussion in the relevant thread.

We will trial this way for a few months and if it doesn’t work, we’ll go back the old way

West Coast and Fremantle are confident they will meet the AFL’s February 18 vaccination deadline for players and football staff in the wake of the league making a no jab no play policy official for the 2022 season.

Eagles CEO Trevor Nisbett confirmed that “a couple” of people were likely to require further education and information on the vaccinations before they went ahead with them but he believed the vaccination mandate released on Thursday would help that process.

“We are in pretty good shape,” he said. “The vast majority have had one shot and we are well on the way to having most people double vaccinated, so it is going well. Our expectation is that we will hit most of the deadlines.”

Fremantle counterpart Simon Garlick said the Dockers were on track to comfortably meet the deadlines.

“I don’t envisage that any of our players will go unvaccinated prior to the season,” he said. “The vast majority of ours are fully vaccinated now and a small amount are still to get their second doses.”

heavho

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
fremantle
Via fox footy The list needs they must address:The Dockers have been looking to fill a key forward chasm for a while. Rory Lobb is still on the list, Matt Taberner has improved in recent years and rookie Josh Treacy has shown glimpses, but the Dockers really do need a strong key forward to help them take the next step. Freo was also one of the worst pressure teams in the comp this season, ranking 17th for overall pressure and 18th for forward 50 pressure. And when you consider the Dockers conceded the fourth-most points from turnovers and a score from 45 per cent of their opposition’s entries (ranked 16th) this year, maybe that defence still needs to be strengthened.

The ideal draft prospects: Dockers footy boss Peter Bell indicated his club would prioritise “best available” talent. At Pick 6, that’s likely to be a Victorian-based midfielder, such as GWV Rebel Ben Hobbs or Northern Knight Josh Ward, with Hobbs more of an inside ball-winner. Both averaged around 30 touches per NAB League game in 2021. But Subiaco’s Neil Erasmus, the second-highest ranked player in the WAFL colts this year according to Champion Data, will be hard to ignore at either Pick 6 or 8. There’s several key forwards available too – and some of the best ones are from WA. East Perth’s 195cm goalkicker Jye Amiss, who booted 51.14 from 13 home and away WAFL colts matches this year, would be in the mix at Picks 6 or 8. Or the Dockers could use their second-round selections on Claremont’s Jacob Van Rooyen, who averaged nearly four goals per WAFL colts game, or versatile 196cm East Fremantle prospect Jack Williams, who kicked 40.24 in the WAFL colts but also played both as a key defender and pinch-hit ruckman throughout the season. The Dockers also have an interest in Murray Bushrangers forward Josh Rachele – a maximum impact player in that most of his disposals lead to scores for his team that can apply good forward pressure – but he could be gone before Pick 6.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
While the Giants have monitored Callaghan closely and remain interested in him, clubs that hold the next four picks – Gold Coast (Pick 3), Adelaide (Pick 4), Hawthorn (Pick 5) and Fremantle (Pick 6) – have all been heavily linked to the left-footer, who has ample Bontempelli-like traits.

Yet the Dockers appear better placed than any club to trade with the Giants as they’re one of four clubs that hold two first-round picks. And unlike the Giants (Picks 2 and 13), Richmond (7 and 15) and Brisbane (14 and 18), Fremantle’s two early selections (6 and 8) sit inside the top 10.

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting that the Goat has WA family..

Andy Brayshaw esk….

I know he is Vic Metro.

He probably is the only one I’ve seen this year with inside/outside Mid qualities and a bit of toe to break from the middle through congestion.

On my list I have him in the top 10.

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Haselby on 6PR last night banging on about his mate saying we are into Andrew. I wish Haselby would shut up and not draw more attention if are truly into him.

Back