Competition Merger Of The Week 1: Melbourne Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Understand, I find it was hard to come up with a good looking colour combination, although I really liked Aidan's blue & gold.

My second entry.
Thought I'd go with the three best colors for a combination.

melbournehawks3.png

Too be honest I thought that brown and red clashed a fair bit.

And on the topic of the blue red and gold looking too much like Adelaide, those were the colour that the merger were going to take.

That's quite good GG. The fact that the brown, yellow and red are all similar colours actually makes that design look less busy. Would look quite good on field IMO.

I think brown needs to be kept because it's the one colour that will differentiate this club from others in the AFL. Unless you leave out a dark colour altogether and go yellow/red which has already been tried once (and quite successfully).

Cheers.
Also because dark blue and dark brown are fairly similar darkness, so probably no need to incorporate the blue as well (imo, how i thought about it).

Exactly my thinking. You can't really go two predominantly dark colours, unless you have a fairly amazing bit of design it doesn't work too well.

Thanks Furla, ThunderPower, aidancdaman and Muse for the positive feedback on my Melbourne Hawks entry. It is very much
appreciated.

I did have the thought that my home guernsey has the same colours as an existing team (in Adelaide). But, I guess that is
why we have clash guernseys.

After a week of trying to find a colour combo that wasn't ugly or Adelaide I decided to take a different approach by mixing the colours. I went with Orange (red+yellow) and Black (navy and brown... kinda) along with white as they both share it on their clash jumpers.
MelbourneHawksKit1A.png

MelbourneHawksKit2A.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I change my entry? I noticed the Hawthorn logo is a similar shape to the yoke part of the Melbourne guernsey and it kinda just went from there.

I decided to just get all the colours into there. Hey, if 4 colours is good enough for Freo... I think it ends up being fairly balanced colourwise.

melbournehawks.png

The home jumper is sort of inspired by the 1996 merger talks between these teams. As you can see the yoke/vee is the longer one that the Dees wore in 1996 and the yellow/gold is the shade the Hawks were wearing in 1996. I used the royal blue and blood red because surely the Crows would've kicked up a massive sh!t storm if they used yellow, navy blue and red so if they change the shades just a bit they might be able to get around this. :)
Home
melbhawkshome1rep.png

The away strip is inspired by the hawks "retro" type 1996 pre-season jumper but the thin stripes have been modified to make a quad vee. This is because there was four stripes on the original jumper, Melbourne use a vee/yoke and Hawthorn used to use a single vee vee.
Away
melbhawksclash1.png

Hi Guys,

Here is my version for the Melbourne Hawks (So happy we didnt merge!!)

My theory on Away / Clash jumpers is that they should be based on the home jumper but change the colours to have different looking jumpers.

Clash based on 80's Melbourne Colour & Hawks 2002 pre season!

Home

Away

Clash

Great work, hack.
That logo is badass, and the color combination (like i tried to do) is actually quite good.
Also, that's a good example of when/how a logo slapped on the front of a top really works....due to the V and the style of that eagle, kinda like a badge on a bottle of scotch or a cigar works.

thanks mate, i kept the brown predominantly red based so it would work well with the actual red, i must admit that when i first put them together on the logo i was very surprised with how well it worked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back