Michael Doughty - will he make it??

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Kristof
And if my auntie grows another ball in 2004, she'll be half way towards becoming my uncle.
Considering Shirley's improvement in 2003 was enormous, why do you doubt that he could "find another gear" in 2004?

Originally posted by macca23
As would I Dave. Somebody has to play the in and under role while taking all the hard knocks that Bickley did so well and I think that Shirley's the man for this role.

He has a real chance to step up even further in 2004 to become a key player, not just a tagger or a support player.
I agree too. There is room for both Shirley & Stengein in our side if their form warrants it. Neither is 1-dimensional & can play more than the 1 role for the team.

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
I am not in favour of having 2 taggers in one side. Too defensive IMHO and the only way to win is to kick a winning score. Shirley is a fantastic team man who has played some fantastic games last year BUT to stay in the 22 he would need to add other dimensions to his game.

Personally, I think there is a place for only one tagger and when it comes down to Stenglein or Shirley, I pick Stenglein.

Stenglein will be used as a damaging midfielder next season with bickley gone.

Shirls will become number one tagger

I am not in favour of having 2 taggers in one side. Too defensive IMHO and the only way to win is to kick a winning score. Shirley is a fantastic team man who has played some fantastic games last year BUT to stay in the 22 he would need to add other dimensions to his game.

Personally, I think there is a place for only one tagger and when it comes down to Stenglein or Shirley, I pick Stenglein.

Hmmm. An interesting debate. I agree that with what we have seen up to now, Stenglein is the choice tagger when in form.

I agree with others that Shirley has the sort of fortitude that made Bicks the player he was, and to me he seems like the likely player to fill Bick's role.

Shirley is not a blessed natural at this level of footy IMO. He has become a good player on guts, determination and never say die attitude. What remains to be seen is whether this is enough to take him from good to very good.

Originally posted by troy_sibbick
Stenglein will be used as a damaging midfielder next season with bickley gone.

Shirls will become number one tagger
Stenglein is not a natural midfielder. The only way he is an effective midfielder is if he is led to the ball (ie being a tagger).

Shirley is a good tagger but he better put on some major muscle if he is to be our number 1 tagger. I certainly wouldn't feel very comfortable giving Shirley a job on Voss or Buckley for the whole game. He might go with them for a half but he will get beaten in the 2nd half (as shown by Buckley later in the season). He is not strong enough to be a number 1 tagger. Stenglein has the height and is stronger than Shirley.

I'll have to pick Shirley.

Shris has shown a lot more this year than Stenglein. Stenglein was great in 2002, but lost form in 2003.

Shirley hadn't starred until this year, before really showing his stuff, especially in the latter part of the season.

But after viewing both players, Shirley stand out. He isn't as fast as Stingers, but really does his job well and IMO, is somewhat more reliable than Stenglein.

Hopefully both get in the top 22 in 2004, but if not, Shirley is the way to go for a good, solid, reliable and consistent tagger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back