Michael Hurley re-signs with Essendon for 5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Well it can be. I'm not saying it will be. The last time you signed a player to a 5 year deal, at the start it was all roses. By about the third year it was widely regarded as a massive bust and a management **** up.

You have a valid point, but the circumstances are vastly different. For one Hurley is much younger than Mercuri was and Hurley was being heavily chased by another club (or expected to be). Also Hurley is a KPP player, too; not to undermine Mercuri's value :)

Mercuri's demise was largely due to what happened with his brother 9as well as injuries and mother time). How can a club factor in that sort of thing? Also, a club like Essendon wouldn't cut a player loose after something like that anyway. Especially a club champion.

Now lets get Cloke, Pendlebury and Deledio signed up so there's nothing but Ricky Dyson left for GWS.

Hird is a big part of the reason for his decision I reckon.

Golden Boy has united a big group of young players and created an atmosphere where 'kids' like Hurley just want to stay and play with their mates..and be coached by Golden Boy.

I applaud the EFC board for getting him to sign a 5 year deal.

There's no other player I would offer 5 years...other than Heppell in a couple of years.:)

Amazed Echols the credible hasn't been in here to offer his congrats as he so sincerely wanted him to stay with us.....
Unfortunately, I have a life away from Bigfooty, but yes, congratulations to Essendon.
What is it with you, anyway? Are you completely void of any sort of comprehension. Read back through my posts and that thread, and you'll come to the same conclusion as Sirjimi.

He never said he had a source or any inside word did he? I thought he just said "the word going around"? There was a lot of talk in the media about Hurley going and people generally latch onto it. After that it becomes 'the word going around' or 'all the talk'..
Correct. It was just chatter that was getting around the league, of Hurley being a very real target for GWS, and some talk that Sheedy was spruiking a big signing.

However, somehow this translated in some insecure Bomber fans heads as me posting "he's gone, hahahaa".

Now lets get Cloke, Pendlebury and Deledio signed up so there's nothing but Ricky Dyson left for GWS.
1st round compensation please. lol

------------

Rapt about this. Elite KPs, especially dual position players, are harder to draft and develop than any other type of player.

Bodes well for the club's marketing attempts with the Flight Plan and going forward.

Well done to Essendon for signing him, but they've got to be a bit annoyed that without GWS around they would have been able to hold off on the really big dollars until his next contract.

yeah, absolutely furious right now

There comes a time when you realize you have a young prospect to build a team around, and this is the one. No messing about, very professional to sign him up for the full five. :thumbsu:

partially agree

I disagree in that if he doesn't come along, essendon, and thier list management will be crucified due to the cost (not so much the duration)
if he does come along, the dons risk having to pay overs on the next contract

great for the opposition if that happens though :)

Terrific news for Hurley and Essendon, hopefully we can expect to see HAD in here soon enough congratulating the Bombers on such a massive coup, he's pretty gracious like that :thumbsu:

I love seeing loyalty in todays game, Hurley's comments really seem to indicate he was never going to leave, the fact that some players still value being a 1 club player as important is heartening :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrific news for Hurley and Essendon, hopefully we can expect to see HAD in here soon enough congratulating the Bombers on such a massive coup, he's pretty gracious like that :thumbsu:

Not likely. He's cancelled his account because he couldn't believe that nobody took him seriously.

Not likely. He's cancelled his account because he couldn't believe that nobody took him seriously.

I believe his sister Beth has taken his place

Congrats Essendon.

Really critical signing for the future. He's the sort of player can build a team around over the next 5 years

Absolutely. IMO He is the sort of player that would step up on the big stage.

Yeah because Griffin/Clarke are going to keep him out of that side :eek:

Sandilands generally flies solo and Griffin/Clarke are vying for a chance to be included in the 22 based on rucking 20-25% of game time and slotting into the forward line the rest - a role which Kepler Bradley probably does better than either at this stage. Given Ryder already rucks a bit and plays forward a bit in a side with Hille and Bellchambers the point stands that it's unlikely he'd want to move to another club where he'd be in the same boat and out of contention for being the immediate #1 ruck.

Ryder is a mediocre key forward and a good but not great ruckman, anyway, and I think you're selling Clarke and Griffin a bit short.

I think you're selling Ryder a bit short.

How so?

If you were picking a team from scratch and needed a ruckman you would pick Cox, Sandilands, Goldstein, Mumford etc. before you'd pick Ryder.

If you needed a key forward you'd pick Franklin, Cloke, Riewoldt (x2), Kennedy etc. before Ryder.

Ryder's a good player but he's a bit like a cricketer who averages 30 with the bat and 40 with the ball. Good at two things but not great at either. Of the 3 East Freo talls drafted early in 2005 (Ryder, Kennedy, Clark) I'd take Kennedy who is not a ruckman's a-hole every day over the other two who play forward and ruck.

mick hurley is one of the best kids ive ever meet. I had the pleasure of playing with him in a senior grand final in 2006 when he was only 16, for macleod. we lost that game by 12 goals and mick was one of our best kicking 4 goals. Hes a top kid and i look forward to seeing him back in the macleod colours after retirement. Very loyal kid with a heart of gold. well done essendon......

Amazing result for fans and shows people are still loyal.

Reading through the thread most are against free agents everyone is happy that Essendon kept a great upcoming player, take note AFL.

How so?

If you were picking a team from scratch and needed a ruckman you would pick Cox, Sandilands, Goldstein, Mumford etc. before you'd pick Ryder.

If you needed a key forward you'd pick Franklin, Cloke, Riewoldt (x2), Kennedy etc. before Ryder.

Ryder's a good player but he's a bit like a cricketer who averages 30 with the bat and 40 with the ball. Good at two things but not great at either. Of the 3 East Freo talls drafted early in 2005 (Ryder, Kennedy, Clark) I'd take Kennedy who is not a ruckman's a-hole every day over the other two who play forward and ruck.

Played amazing on Clolke as a KPD, kicks more goals then any other ruckman and does very well as a ruck. He would be the 1 of the best 2nd ruck option in the league as he can play forward and Back at a much higher standard then any other ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back