List Mgmt. Mid Season Draft 2021 Player Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Comben, Perez, Garner
Phillips and Powell both had serious injury concerns tho. Should we have not drafted them?

I get what you are saying but for every Garner we have a Taz who looked like a bust and became a club legend.

Phillips and Powell both had serious injury concerns tho. Should we have not drafted them?

I get what you are saying but for every Garner we have a Taz who looked like a bust and became a club legend.

What were their concerns? I’m not aware of a history of long term injuries.

What were their concerns? I’m not aware of a history of long term injuries.
Powell had hip surgery to correct a genetic problem (hip dysplaisia maybe). That was late 2019 and he played the 2020 season in SA but its still major hip surgery at the end of year 11. It may come back to bite him yet tho it probably won't but it is a response to a long term issue.

Phillips had a knee injury last year (dunno the extent but it was obviously not major,) that may have kept him out of the game for at least the first part of 2020. He mentioned it in one of his interviews.

Powell had hip surgery to correct a genetic problem (hip dysplaisia maybe). That was late 2019 and he played the 2020 season in SA but its still major hip surgery at the end of year 11. It may come back to bite him yet tho it probably won't but it is a response to a long term issue.

Phillips had a knee injury last year (dunno the extent but it was obviously not major,) that may have kept him out of the game for at least the first part of 2020. He mentioned it in one of his interviews.

So Phillips no real history of injuries other than a minor niggle with his knee. Powell a interrupted bottom age year but a dominant top age year with no injury concerns.
Off the back of that I’m happy to draft them.

My opinion hasn’t changed, I don’t want us to draft players with a long history of injuries at underage level. Only exceptions I’d have are for late or rookie selections.

If you have a different opinion, that’s cool.

So Phillips no real history of injuries other than a minor niggle with his knee. Powell a interrupted bottom age year but a dominant top age year with no injury concerns.
Off the back of that I’m happy to draft them.

My opinion hasn’t changed, I don’t want us to draft players with a long history of injuries at underage level. Only exceptions I’d have are for late or rookie selections.

If you have a different opinion, that’s cool.
Isn't Comben the only one with a real history of injuries tho?

Garner had no history of hammies. IIRC he might have had some injury niggles but nothing serious in his draft year. It was a long time ago tho. Comben and Perez ... yeah Comben is one but Perez - I think he was worth a shot based on his highlight vids and he only had one injury at the worst possible time. We drafted players like Ryan Clarke and Josh Williams who weren't injured. Jy Simpkin had a broken leg and missed his whole draft season. LDU was fine wasn't he? (dunno tbh) and has been injured ever since, well not quite but has missed a bit. Honestly I don't think its as easy a pick as it seems.

To me it seems with the young guys the problems seem to start once we get them to the club.

It was for FAI, an impingement defect where basically the socket of your hip is the wrong shape for your femur head. Essentially the extra bone bits on the hip socket shred the cartilage and the hip ligament/labrum becomes frayed or torn.
Was quite often misdiagnosed as Osteitis Pubis until around 2009/10ish. Lots of kids have it around 16-20.

Powelly would not be the footballer he is now without that surgery. Debilitating for an athlete if not fixed through surgery. Glad he got properly diagnosed with FAI impingement and not OP.

It was for FAI, an impingement defect where basically the socket of your hip is the wrong shape for your femur head. Essentially the extra bone bits on the hip socket shred the cartilage and the hip ligament/labrum becomes frayed or torn.
Was quite often misdiagnosed as Osteitis Pubis until around 2009/10ish. Lots of kids have it around 16-20.

Powelly would not be the footballer he is now without that surgery. Debilitating for an athlete if not fixed through surgery. Glad he got properly diagnosed with FAI impingement and not OP.
thanks; only you know what you're talking about, so you should probably log off now so the rest of us don't get confused

Back on topic though, would love for us to give Callow a chance with one of our picks mid season. Strikes me as a workhorse contested forward from what I’ve seen and has also played good footy at CHB.
Good overhead and size wise is probably good to go now especially in our forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't Comben the only one with a real history of injuries tho?

Garner had no history of hammies. IIRC he might have had some injury niggles but nothing serious in his draft year. It was a long time ago tho. Comben and Perez ... yeah Comben is one but Perez - I think he was worth a shot based on his highlight vids and he only had one injury at the worst possible time. We drafted players like Ryan Clarke and Josh Williams who weren't injured. Jy Simpkin had a broken leg and missed his whole draft season. LDU was fine wasn't he? (dunno tbh) and has been injured ever since, well not quite but has missed a bit. Honestly I don't think its as easy a pick as it seems.

To me it seems with the young guys the problems seem to start once we get them to the club.
Garners injuries as a junior were a bit more than niggles. He had shoulder issues as an 18 year old ( dislocated) and missed all his year as a 17 year old because of injuries.

Jacob Edwards sounds like exactly what we need from a list perspective. Would be great timing if he turns out to be the best 19 year old in it as well.
Would be my pick. Fills a need and seems well suited to the modern game.

Garners injuries as a junior were a bit more than niggles. He had shoulder issues as an 18 year old ( dislocated) and missed all his year as a 17 year old because of injuries.
A dislocated shoulder has little to do with hamstring issues tho. What happened when he was an underager? Were they leg injuries?

Tyler Keitel will be worth watching over the coming weeks. Only 25, but has been dominating the WAFL both as a key forward and a key back for the last 5 or so years.

Has started the year on fire with goal returns of 4,6 & 4. 196cm and 91kg. I was pretty keen on him a few years back, but for some reason he has never seemed to get a look in at AFL level.

Tyler Keitel will be worth watching over the coming weeks. Only 25, but has been dominating the WAFL both as a key forward and a key back for the last 5 or so years.

Has started the year on fire with goal returns of 4,6 & 4. 196cm and 91kg. I was pretty keen on him a few years back, but for some reason he has never seemed to get a look in at AFL level.

Mobile, with plenty of mongrel. Can ruck

Might be our milochek / Riccardi state league Type player that might flourish

Bolded midfielder-cum-flanker for the mods.

Tyler Keitel (East Perth)

Position:
Key forward/defender
Height: 194 cm
Weight: 86 kg
Club: East Perth
Strengths: Contested marking, consistency, endurance, agility, mobility, versatility
Areas for improvement: Defensive development, hasn’t played senior football
Player comparison: Mitch Brown (Geelong)

Another likely type who has thrown his name up off the back of a successful national carnival, Tyler Keitel has been immersed in first round discussions for a few months now. Realistically however, may fall through early in the second round depending on movement higher up the board.

A well-documented growth spurt over the past 24 months has helped Keitel’s development as a key position player rather than a midfielder-cum-flanker. That has seen him taste action in a variety of roles including defence and even in the ruck.

Keitel was impressive last year as a bottom-age prospect for WA at the National Championships. Then a ruckman who spent time up forward, he showed glimpses of what he had to offer, with a great turn of foot, deceptive speed and a natural instinct to find the ball and launch himself in the air and over packs to take contested marks.

During 2013, Keitel spent his time predominantly forward while offering rotations through the ruck for East Perth, bagging 39 goals that season from his 18 Colts games, including an average of 15.8 disposals and 5.2 marks per game.

Fast-forward to 2014, and Keitel is still playing Colts football and tracking at an average of two goals and five marks per game, off 10 games to date this season.

Although he’s averaging slightly less disposals this year, with just 12.2 per game, his development into a swingman off the back of the National Championships has see him gravitate to defence, in which his ability to spoil and play a close checking role has been frequently commended.

Since WA teammate Dylan Winton went down with an ankle injury in the first game of the Nationals, it paved the way for Keitel to try his hand in a defence, a position he had previously only once played. He took to it like a duck to water, and the plaudits came thick and fast for the way he adapted to the role without fuss.

In terms of his abilities as a key tall, his recovery is fantastic. If he goes to ground he bounces straight back up, and has a willingness to play high half forward, which is a natural instinct that has stemmed from when he was a midfielder. His leading patterns are sound, he has the endurance to push hard for a lead high up the ground, and run back hard to force himself into a dangerous position, which often tires out his direct opponent.

He is mobile and athletic, and has a terrific leap at the ball. With those traits alone, he is highly regarded as a player who could gravitate into a damaging swingman at the next level. In defence, he is aggressive and physical, he spoils well and doesn’t mind body-on-body scraps in a contest, which he demonstrated when he played on both Patrick McCartin and Darcy Moore.

Keitel has a lot of swagger and possesses a certain cockiness and arrogance in small doses that you want out of your key forward or defender. He has confidence and is quite comfortable holding down his own but in particular he strikes me as your second best key forward or defender, not the number one which is why he falls down the order fractionally.

The other pleasing aspect is Keitel remains in the game across four quarters. Because of that endurance and agility and of course his versatility to play up the ground, he finds the ball with ease whether down back or deep forward.

In terms of areas for further development, a club will most certainly develop him as a defender first given he has shown a natural ability to play a close checking role, whilst he can kick multiple scores up forward. Particularly as a defender he could back himself more which is something that will come with further development in that position. At this stage, his focus is on killing the ball and keeping his opponent quiet, but he showed on a few occasions he could back himself to take a mark and move the ball on quickly.

When it comes to his draft range, a lot depends on where clubs believe his best football will be played and whether or not he is somebody that could feature early, or be a bit more of a development project. A fair assessment is that he’s somewhere in the second round, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go early after a solid championships and consistent form at Colts level over the past 24 months.

What you get with Keitel is an athletic yet bullocking key position player who still thinks he’s a midfielder. His endurance base is better than average for players of his size, and in particular his versatility and marking game are elite. For a team that is looking to bring in key position reinforcements without specifically looking for a number one defender or forward, Keitel is your man.

Might be our milochek / Riccardi state league Type player that might flourish

You would never doubt his effort.

Quite a few talls about 25 years old in the WAFL. Dorks would be looking for a Patton replacement. Suns need rucks.

Scott Jones 205 cms 110 kg ruck/forward

mobile, good mark and kick. Got 3 goals straight on Saturday 25 hitouts.

former Fre0 player

Keitel left East Perth when it was the WC aligned team . He didn't want to play for them. Now plays for West Perth. 100 plus games.
He would be taller and heavier than listed there.
I know, I was just posting his draft profile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back