Mid-Season review

Remove this Banner Ad

AndyD

Club Legend
Dec 23, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With it already half way through the season, I reckon it is time to take stock and have a look at how we have gone unit by unit, with an eye towards the finals.

Backs: All things considered, our backline has been pretty good, considering only 3 of our back 6 have played every game this year (Lake, Morris & Gilbee). It has been good to see Tommy play more than half of the games played. Hopefully he can play at least another 8 in the last half of the year. Harbrow has been a revelation down back providing some very good run, as well as pressuring ball carriers in the opposition 50. It is his form that is probably holding Timmy Callan out of the side, as well as making hard for Dyl Addison to come back in. Tiller seems to be just doing enough to keep his spot, but you would think when Williams is fit, he will take Tillers spot. Disappointing that Everitt hasn't taken the next step, but hopefully he can maybe put it together in the 2nd half of the year and make a real case for selection. Hargrave remains a key cog and the experience of playing on talls cannot be underestimated. While he is now playing on players better suited to his size, if need be he can play on bigger players. Lake & Morris are just doing what they always do. The growing pains that Lake experienced back when he started are now well worth it seeing the player he has become. He would be very close to being AA this year.

Projected Back 6 for finals (Assuming all players fit and available):
Morris, Lake, Harbrow
Gilbee, Williams, Hargrave

Mids & Rucks: The improvement of Shaun Higgins and the arrival of Liam Picken have had a massive effect on our midfield. Higgins now draws a quality opponent which can free up someone like Cooney or Griffen, whilst Picken can now do a job on a dangerous opponent which frees up Boyd & Cross to throw themselves at the ball. This past week Cooney showed he was close to being back to his Brownlow winning best, with 11 Contested and 22 Uncontested Possessions to go with 5 clearances and a couple of tackles. Griffen is still struggling with consistency, and I think that Rocket is carrying him to see how he works out of this trough. A move to half back flank may be in the works as they try to free him up. Eagles season seemed to turn around during the Geelong game. The hesitancy seems to have vanished and he is now back to playing some very good loose freewheeling football. Callan Ward also seems to have grown a bit since the Geelong game, giving him some real confidence that he can match it with the best. Huddson has been serviceable in the ruck, but his ground work at the bottom of packs and leadership has been exceptional. On the other hand, Minson has done very well in the actual ruck contest, but his other work seems to be lacking.

Projected Midfield for finals (Assuming all players are fit and available)

W: Cross, C: Cooney, W: Higgins
Ru: Huddson, R: Boyd, RR: Picken

Forwards: Much like the backline, we have done well to be the second highest scoring team in the comp, considering our forward line has been unsettled all year with 2 of our main forward targets (Murph & Welsh) missing a considerable amount of time. If Murph can work himself into some form and be a high half forward putting the ball into the forward 50 7-8 times a game we will be going pretty well. The two old men have also played pretty well throughout the year, with Aka just tapering off a little the past couple of weeks. A game or two break to refresh might be in order. Johnno is playing a bit higher up the ground, with Hill playing a little bit deeper. The experience will help Hill in the long run. Gia seems to bob up at just the right time when we need some class. Mitch has struggled but hopefully he can regain a bit of form as the finals approach. It was good to see Jarrad Grant play his first game and hopefully he can play a couple of more games as the season draws to a close.

Projected forward line for finals (Assuming all are fit and available):
Johnson , Murphy, Gia
Aka, Welsh, Hanh

Projected bench for finals (Assuming all are fit and available):
Minson, Eagleton, Ward & Griffen

Depth: Wight, Skipper, Ried all played last year, but have yet to play a game this year. Everitt, Callan & Addison have played only 12 games this year between them. Stack and Grant all both played their first game this year, and Guy O'Keefe has been named as an emergency a couple of times. All can push for a game as the finals approach this year. Out of a team of 22, to have 9 players pushing for a spot is very promising considering we are a game clear in 3rd. I think the game against Geelong has shown some of our lesser lights that they are capable of matching it against the best, especially considering we had Murphy and Hargrave missing for that game.

After this weekend, we only leave Melbourne once for the rest of the year and after round 13 we only play one game away from the Docklands, leaving us in pretty good shape. If we can finish third we will give ourselves another good chance to play off in a preliminary final for a chance to play in a Grand Final again this year.

Thoughts?

That's a good summary.

To take the next step (injuries aside) I would think Willaims will need to come back un-injured (or is this impossible) or Everitt to step up. Everitt was unlucky to be injured when he was just getting his confidence back, hopefully he can get a spot soon, maybe this week if Murphy or Williams dont come up.

Hudson and Minson need to be more than servicable

Its a really great post Andy :thumbsu:

I think for us to go half way at 7-4 is fantastic and the club and most supporters would have taken that before the season start.

Last year, 13 wins got St Kilda in the top four, so on that basis, we only need to win 6 of the last 11 to make top four, and the way we are playing, we should do that. So to back up from last year's top four performance, is really pleasing and it shows the guys are hungry for success.

The thing that has really helped us out is the inconsistency of other sides who are fighting for a top four sport. Hawthorn has had injury and form issues, Port Adelaide are up and down like the proverbial, Collingwood have been inconsistent, Sydney are on the way down, and so forth. It is good for us because it makes us easier to make top four.

Pretty good summary, although you have left Hill out of the 22.

This shows how hard it is to crack into the side as we have 23 in our best 22 and very good back-up with Callan, Addison and Everitt.

As well as developing talent keen for a chance in O'Keefe and Reid plus the 2 players in Grant and Stack who have managed a game each.

Hill
Tiller
Addison
Callan
Everitt
Grant
Reid
O'Keefe
Skipper
Stack

All out of that 22. The top 4 would be in most teams 22.
Everitt will be good but is still developing.
Similar for Grant, still developing.
Bottom 4 are doing well at Williamstown with Stack getting in for a game last weekend.

If there was a Mid-Season Draft also being able to delist some players and maybe a couple of days to trade who would you suggest would be Delisted, Trade Bait, Trade Target?

Yet another victim of the Swine flu, a shame really.

In all seriousness I thought I had him in there. Move him into Hanh's spot, put Hanh on the bench and drop Cal Ward.

I too liked your post. However if Cal Ward keeps developing i can't see him being dropped. He can get his own pill as well as finish on the outside. Don't doubt young talent at finals time!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hill and Ward definatley in the best 22, however i dont know who to take out of that team to put Hill back in. IT would probabaly be Harbrow, not that i want it to be but i dont think rocket rates him quite as highly as we do just yet

Youve obviously pencilled in a devestating injury for Hill?

I thought the very same thing, I doubt very much Hill will not be part of the tea,. Unless he goes off the rails big time, he will be there.

Hard to see who will miss out though.

I think they would be mad to drop Ward. Callan Ward has just started to find his feet in afl, 12 months time he will be playing some amazing footy. His only young and he needs some prep work done on him. Harbrow will stay in the side, week after week he is improving and if Rocket didnt rate him he wouldnt be playing at all. That last spot is going to be a huge fight to take but in all seriousness i think it should be out of Hahn and Eagleton who gets it, They are great players on there day but at the moment they are playing inconsistent footy. They need a wake up call because consitancy cant be around come september.

I think they would be mad to drop Ward. Callan Ward has just started to find his feet in afl, 12 months time he will be playing some amazing footy. His only young and he needs some prep work done on him. Harbrow will stay in the side, week after week he is improving and if Rocket didnt rate him he wouldnt be playing at all. That last spot is going to be a huge fight to take but in all seriousness i think it should be out of Hahn and Eagleton who gets it, They are great players on there day but at the moment they are playing inconsistent footy. They need a wake up call because consitancy cant be around come september.

I think you just answered your own question right there. Remember everyone that has done there best 22 have said that our top 24-25 players are really good and it was hard to choose the side.

I think you just answered your own question right there. Remember everyone that has done there best 22 have said that our top 24-25 players are really good and it was hard to choose the side.

How? I didnt ask anything. When i say he needs Prep work i dont mean throw him out of the side and prepare him. He has just came of three big games and needs to stay in the side to prepare him for finals because as the year goes on his only going to get better.

How? I didnt ask anything. When i say he needs Prep work i dont mean throw him out of the side and prepare him. He has just came of three big games and needs to stay in the side to prepare him for finals because as the year goes on his only going to get better.

Thats the problem with these type of threads, you can base your side on different things. I based mine on all injury free and if finals time was the next weekend. (i like to base my side on who we will take into a finals side)

His you and still has lots of development left in him. He has lots of upside but with a FULL side in, i cant see him ahead of Hill, Eagleton, Hahn, Griffen and anyone else that has been thrown up as the 23rd man.

If he keeps developing at the rate he is for the next 11 games before finals then its going to make it even more difficult to keep him out.

I said it before and ill say it again, we are in a very good position and the selection panel are under alot of pressure at the moment.

Again highlights how well we are going since the St Kilda game.

Eagleton last 4 weeks as good as any time in his career.
Hahn last 4 weeks improved every week although I am leaning towards Mitch missing if we have Welsh and Murph up and firing.

Statistically (is there any other-ally ;) )...this is the best stretch I can remember us having. Period.

Have allowed only 3 times (out of 10 obviously) more than 50 Inside 50's in a game...St. Kilda, Geelong, and West Coast (explainable, given 2 WA trips in 4 weeks and off a 6 day break...)...

...and even more impressive, allowing a shot just every 2.40 entries over our last 4...sure 3 average teams (but aren't they all atm :p )...inc. a 1.93 v. Geelong which is well below their average.

I really think we're on the right track here. :thumbsu:

Can't disagree player-wise...just hope (as much as I love the idea of him being there!) Harbrow can learn to compete in the air.
He's going to need to...esp. against out likely finals opponents (second week and beyond, of course ;) ) Geelong/Collingwood. :cool:

personally Eagleton frustrates me to tears his clangers and decision making at times are terrible for a player with his experience. He some times just looks like an 18 year old full of nerves.

personally Eagleton frustrates me to tears his clangers and decision making at times are terrible for a player with his experience. He some times just looks like an 18 year old full of nerves.

Fair enough. So you would have Ward ahead of Eagleton??

I could build a strong case for and against both so im not going to argue. I hope they both keep performing in the last 11 rounds and beyond into the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back