List Mgmt. Mid year draft? Who should Swans Target?

Remove this Banner Ad

Immediate midfield impact, assuming our coach would actually play him there. Desiring certain players or positions is frought with danger whilever piss poor Mr Ed gets any say on where players play.

There were players capable of immediate midfield impact still on the board at the second pick - very curious we'd spend money on a guy who is years off it.
Incidentally yesterday Mr Ed didn't deny Norf had been in contact regarding their job, or that he was in discussions about it. Skillfully avoided answering the question and the journo wasn't up to pressing him (like 95% of political journos atm).
We are seeing some green shoots of innovation though - Clarke tagging, Hewett taking on primary mid role.

I wonder how we'll look back at the Sliding Doors moment when the Dees stunk it up on the weekend against GWS, nabbing a higher pick than the Swans and Kyle Dunkley in the process. Would we have taken him? Was it just me or did the Dunkley family look less than excited? Did it open the door on finally finding our ruck future in 'Shannon' Knoll who Essendon were tipped to grab before our next selection. And would we have taken the Dees-supporting Hirst if we landed Dunkley?

Just don't really want tried players too much personally.
You do know that every player that is traded is in effect a ‘tried’ player? We’ve done bloody good out of a lot of them.

Sometimes a player just needs to find another club or get another opportunity to thrive. Look at Kirk, Grundy and Richards at Sydney, then look at Kennedy, Williams, Shaw, Mattner, C Bolton and even Rampe (trained with WB and not wanted)...Cresswell.

I wonder how we'll look back at the Sliding Doors moment when the Dees stunk it up on the weekend against GWS, nabbing a higher pick than the Swans and Kyle Dunkley in the process. Would we have taken him? Was it just me or did the Dunkley family look less than excited? Did it open the door on finally finding our ruck future in 'Shannon' Knoll who Essendon were tipped to grab before our next selection. And would we have taken the Dees-supporting Hirst if we landed Dunkley?
We were heavily into Dunkley but the club thought he was out of reach and didn’t think he’d slide to our pick. There’s no doubt they would’ve taken him but they had a plan B and had no other choice but to have one.

Well, the comment from Andrew that maybe they will play together in the furutre would not have me doing cartwheels about their longevity at the club. I really did not find them (the collective Dunkley's) very authentic last night....I am probably way off the mark but feel like there could be a bit of the David Clokes around the Dunkley clan?

Well, the comment from Andrew that maybe they will play together in the furutre would not have me doing cartwheels about their longevity at the club. I really did not find them (the collective Dunkley's) very authentic last night....I am probably way off the mark but feel like there could be a bit of the David Clokes around the Dunkley clan?

The older Dunkley is a terrific player but if the kid wasn't jumping with excitement at the prospect of being taken as a father son by one of the most respected clubs in the AFL, which also happened to be the club his father played many games for, then our club needed to move onto another player who showed that excitement. Nothing against the kid but the family wanted him home & he's playing his best footy there because of it. We would have had a constant battle keeping him/family content with $$$$$.
So I can only speculate that the younger Dunkley would cause similar grief in years to come should we have taken him as the most likely scenario for them to "one day play together" would have been for Kyle to leave us after two years in our system & join his brother at the Bulldogs.

So good luck to them all, we always have a knack of finding who we need because "we can't have them all"!

Still feel we’d take a ruckman anyway whether it be pick 1,2,3 or 4 in this draft. It was our biggest need. Sinclair is going to burn out. It also means we don’t need a ruck in the National Draft.

Content with our selections. Naismith is the only other pure ruckman on our list. the others are all forward/rucks.

It would have been an indictment on our recruiting staff if we selected Dunkley. Anyway, I am glad we missed out on him.

Content with our selections. Naismith is the only other pure ruckman on our list. the others are all forward/rucks.

It would have been an indictment on our recruiting staff if we selected Dunkley. Anyway, I am glad we missed out on him.

If this bloke turns out good (26 isn’t old for a ruck) we can finally let Sinclair be our fwd/ruck

My guess is we probably won't be missing much. We could've had him last year for effectively nothing & chose not to for a reason, hopefully the guys we did pick up instead like Wicks & Bell go on to show us we made the right call

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My guess is we probably won't be missing much. We could've had him last year for effectively nothing & chose not to for a reason, hopefully the guys we did pick up instead like Wicks & Bell go on to show us we made the right call
Kyle had stagnated, hence why we didn't elect to pick him up F/S and he was overlooked by 17 others. To Kyle's credit, he worked hard and to the point where he had rekindled not only our interest but that of a lot of other clubs. He was seen as a better prospect than Josh at the same age...look how that one is turning out! I hope the kid does well at Melbourne.

To be honest, I think Sinclair is just a forward ruck. We have enough talls on the fwd line already without Sinkers clogging if up.
Nothing wrong with giving a 19 yr old KPF a rest now and again too. And I don't mind the idea of McCartin in defense either. I think he'll end up there in the end and be a new (faster) Reg for us.

There were players capable of immediate midfield impact still on the board at the second pick - very curious we'd spend money on a guy who is years off it.
Incidentally yesterday Mr Ed didn't deny Norf had been in contact regarding their job, or that he was in discussions about it. Skillfully avoided answering the question and the journo wasn't up to pressing him (like 95% of political journos atm).
We are seeing some green shoots of innovation though - Clarke tagging, Hewett taking on primary mid role.
Totally agree and stoked with that. Im probably a bit too cranky at times, I've just really wanted the best for the team and seen some really stubborn caching directions at time being called out by all and sundry of the paid media experts including Roos.

Kyle had stagnated, hence why we didn't elect to pick him up F/S and he was overlooked by 17 others. To Kyle's credit, he worked hard and to the point where he had rekindled not only our interest but that of a lot of other clubs. He was seen as a better prospect than Josh at the same age...look how that one is turning out! I hope the kid does well at Melbourne.

I do hope he does well too, my point is though that I'm trusting that our recruiters aren't being paid to say how good a player is when he's 18, we're paying them to make a judgement how good they could be over a football career and also to know that development isn't perfectly linear

I do hope he does well too, my point is though that I'm trusting that our recruiters aren't being paid to say how good a player is when he's 18, we're paying them to make a judgement how good they could be over a football career and also to know that development isn't perfectly linear
I’m fairly sure they’re all over it from well before and long after they turn 18!

Essendon really angry we took Knoll, love it! They were quite blind sided by our taking him.
Yeah, the podcast said they were “angry” because we took “their” man. I get that they may have been ‘disappointed’ but ‘angry’ seems a bit strong and suggests there may have been more to the story (no idea what though).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back