Strategy Midfield Crows Woes

Remove this Banner Ad

A clever businessman who’s self made did not get hung out to dry. His periphery did and then you’d have to fall on it. That’s noble and acceptable.
Coach and playing group should never have been left so exposed to the fall out of what was ultimately the brainchild of the football boss. Football bosses are also there to shield the football department.

Other clubs would've dealt with that scenario without missing a step.

Pyke falling on his sword was the right thing to do once the damage became irrepairable after Burton brought a whirlwind of faecal matter down on the club and then shat extra for effect.

Coach and playing group should never have been left so exposed to the fall out of what was ultimately the brainchild of the football boss. Football bosses are also there to shield the football department.

Other clubs would've dealt with that scenario without missing a step.

Pyke falling on his sword was the right thing to do once the damage became irrepairable after Burton brought a whirlwind of faecal matter down on the club and then shat extra for effect.
Agree.
His periphery was controlled by a freaky petrol pill popping maniac.

Haven't seen enough of Rachele and Sonsie tp pass an informed opinion at this point. Don't leave Campbell Chesser out of that discussion either. The little I've seen of Chesser I'd class his foot skills as very, very good and he's an excellent athlete and elite runner.
Roberts as well. Could be a pick that moves back with all the talent available. Immaculate foot skills and could be inside/outside mid that kicks goals.

Agree.
His periphery was controlled by a freaky petrol pill popping maniac.
Won't be surprised at all if Sydney with Pyke dismantle Hinkley this year. Might invest.

Not all down to Pyke obviously. But you can unmistakably see his influence. Remember he even made us look like the fastest team around due to ball movement.

Lot of hate for him on this board. I maintain he was never the real problem. We took a massive dump on him. A football boss worth his salt could've nullified that camp sh*t almost immediately rather than arrogantly let it fester and leave the coach that took us to a GF and levelled up an almost unassailable showdown count hanging out to dry.
Pyke's position was just untenable by the end of his tenure, not because he was a bad coach, but you could so obviously see the divide and lack of trust between players and staff, including Don, Burton, Campo etc.

It all stemmed from Burton obviously, but plenty of other staff were roped into that lack of player trust along the way, including Pyke. You could pretty much see during 2019 a lot of players just didn't give too much of a damn out on the field, and so we needed to completely wipe the slate

To sum it up, Pyke was a victim of Burton's incompetence

He really is.

Pity Hardwick wasn't.
Was at home

Edit: Would be nice if the top team of the two was allowed to play the granny at their home ground. Would also be logical. Wouldn't yield as many Victorian fairy tales though.

Last edited:
Pyke's position was just untenable by the end of his tenure, not because he was a bad coach, but you could so obviously see the divide and lack of trust between players and staff, including Don, Burton, Campo etc.

It all stemmed from Burton obviously, but plenty of other staff were roped into that lack of player trust along the way, including Pyke. You could pretty much see during 2019 a lot of players just didn't give too much of a damn out on the field, and so we needed to completely wipe the slate

To sum it up, Pyke was a victim of Burton's incompetence
A couple of noisy players who are no longer here also really latched onto that camp bullshit as an excuse for their own demise.

Became a mess out of all proportion due to bad management and lack of will to take responsibility.

It's all well and good to say that but who were they in last year's draft and who are they this year?

The best 2 midfield ball users in last year's draft Campbell and Gulden weren't available to anyone but the Swans and no way were Sydney not going to match especially with Campbell.

That's the big problem great midfield prospects than are great kicks are at an absolute premium.
How the hell did we allow them to pick up McDonald as well then?

Interesting question.

Its very rare for clubs to play games in regards to academy guys just to 'keep clubs honest'. I can understand why we did what we did. Thilthorpe is a super talent and we'll see him soon enough hopefully. With Tex in the form hes in, now is the perfect time to play him IMO.

For mine it was inexplicable for North not to pick McDonald. Whoever decided that it was a good idea to pick Phillips......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting question.

Its very rare for clubs to play games in regards to academy guys just to 'keep clubs honest'. I can understand why we did what we did. Thilthorpe is a super talent and we'll see him soon enough hopefully. With Tex in the form hes in, now is the perfect time to play him IMO.

For mine it was inexplicable for North not to pick McDonald. Whoever decided that it was a good idea to pick Phillips......
We had no hesitation doing it to JUH, so either we didn’t rate him
We don’t think we needed him
We didn’t think Sydney would match

We had no hesitation doing it to JUH, so either we didn’t rate him
We don’t think we needed him
We didn’t think Sydney would match
We picked JUH because we thought he was the best player in the draft, us and 17 other recruiters.

We thought RT was the 2nd best, pretty simple really.

Campbell is a gun though, id have had no problems throwing a bid in for him in the interest of gamesmanship. The midfielder with the best footskills in the draft should be our number 1, 2 and 3 priority this year. Luckily for us theres a number of them available and a few who happen to be from South Australia. Where we sit in said draft order will be interesting if the first 2 weeks are anything to go by

Pretty simple answer, we rated Thilthorpe either equal or better than McDonald and fair enough factoring in the South Australian vs West Australian component of the pick.

And I might add Sydney might not have matched at that point in the draft being confident Campbell would be home in 2 years anyhow and they still have both players, just not immediately.

Certainly is.

I still think we'll have a top 5 pick, cant see us having pick 1 again though.

Geez, our SANFL side will be scary with another top five pick added to it.

I am not going to write off Berry’s goal kicking on a tiny sample size.
He’s hugely competitive, which is great, but he’s already pretty big so I am reserving my judgement about how good he’ll end up being.

I am very happy with Schoenberg, who always seems to make his touches count. He’s not flashy, but he’s damaging. He takes his time, finds space, and often his possession puts us in a really attacking position. We need more of the kind of work he does.

It’s now clear that Laird is a pretty effective accumulating mid.

All this puts us in an interesting spot with Crouch. He’s also an effective accumulating mid, but I am not convinced he’s the kind of mid we need in the medium to long term, given the other players we have and have coming through. If we could trade him into a lower disposal, higher damage player, or a top ten pick we could use on such a player, we should consider it, imho.

He’s hugely competitive, which is great, but he’s already pretty big so I am reserving my judgement about how good he’ll end up being.

I am very happy with Schoenberg, who always seems to make his touches count. He’s not flashy, but he’s damaging. He takes his time, finds space, and often his possession puts us in a really attacking position. We need more of the kind of work he does.

All this puts us in an interesting spot with Crouch. He’s also an effective accumulating mid, but I am not convinced he’s the kind of mid we need in the medium to long term, given the other players we have and have coming through. If we could trade him into a lower disposal, higher damage player, or a top ten pick we could use on such a player, we should consider it, imho.
2019 NAB League Round 12 vs. Geelong

By: Peter Williams

A match-winning effort by the small midfielder who put together a terrific four quarter performance. He showed great thinking under pressure with quick hands and was able to balance well between offensive and defensive work.

He laid a massive amount of tackles, and booted three goals – all of which came from tackles. His first goal came in the second quarter, nailing the set shot with a Ben Brown-like run-up from 55m, while the last two came back-to-back at a crucial time in the last quarter, converting set shots from 40m and 30m out respectively. His last quarter was special and he is so strong one-on-one for his size.

He’s a RFA though isn’t he? I don’t think we’ll be able to trade him. I guess we could match and then trade ala Dangerfield but then you run the risk of the other team not wanting to trade for him and we’re saddled with him on a bloated contract.

It's all well and good to say that but who were they in last year's draft and who are they this year?

The best 2 midfield ball users in last year's draft Campbell and Gulden weren't available to anyone but the Swans and no way were Sydney not going to match especially with Campbell.

That's the big problem great midfield prospects than are great kicks are at an absolute premium.
It's why I found it hilarious that on the Sunday footy show today the panel was like "Sydney did it again!" when talking about how good their drafting is. Easy to find guys when you've got your own academy that you get priority access to.

Not all down to Pyke obviously. But you can unmistakably see his influence. Remember he even made us look like the fastest team around due to ball movement.

Lot of hate for him on this board. I maintain he was never the real problem. We took a massive dump on him. A football boss worth his salt could've nullified that camp sh*t almost immediately rather than arrogantly let it fester and leave the coach that took us to a GF and levelled up an almost unassailable showdown count hanging out to dry.
Pyke was a problem, not anywhere near as big as some others, but he had his issues. Don't forget who brought CM back after the whole PS camp thing went do badly. Don't forget who it was who put the blame on the players after the GF loss.

Unlike Burton he did try to change, but he did plenty of damage on his own that he knew he couldn't repair his bonds with the majority of the playing list and had to move on. There's a reason they focused so heavily on getting a "relationship" guy to replace Pyke.

Being in an assistant role may be perfect for him though, he gets to work on systems, structures and tactics which he's excellent at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back