Remove this Banner Ad

Carlos

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2001
Beneath the blue & white
AFL Club
North Melbourne
G'day Tiger faithful,

Those who have been around for a while know me as an almost honorary Tiger (yes, i'm going tonite).

Just looking over your side for tonite and geez, i'm not even a Richmond man but i'm excited for yas looking at that starting 4 in the center square.

Staff, Coga, Johno and Brownie.

Add Cambo to that mix and it just about doens't get much better for you blokes does it?

Oh, i nearly forgot Browlow Bowden!! ;)

Ahem.

In fact the whole center line looks the goods, except perhaps for Fleming. But if Frawley played Fiora where he should be playing (wing), then that would look a hell of alot more classy with Tivendale on the other one.

The backline looks a little thin though with Hall and the undersized but hard at it Weller as the linch pins. Kelleway will obviously get first crack at Rawlings, and Zantuck will play his part, but its a concern for yas.

Up the other end things look alot healthier with Otto, Morrison and big Shultzy providing plenty of marking options. You'd think that with Richo returning at some stage that one of those blokes might have to try their luck down back if they want to see game time. Shultz would have to be the obvious candidate there wouldn't he?

Suprised to see Newman named on the half forward line. I know these positions mean nothing on paper, but he is one of the most under-rated small defenders in the league. I'd kill to have him at North.

But geez, the bench leaves a bit to be desired!! Hyde has to do alot to prove to me that he isn't afraid, Houlihan.. well he is Houlihan and i'm still amazed he is on your list, Pettifer has apparently bulked up but still needs to be played in the right position (which isn't in a forward pocket Spud!!) and not poo his pants so often, Nicholls just doesnt look up to the standard IMO and Marsh certainly has some question marks. Hope young Roach can prove to be a find for you though.

But i guess with the return of Rogers, Krak, Brownlow (Joel) and Campbell, all of a sudden the team looks like they've just about weeded out the nuffies!

Good luck tonite. Even though my mob aint playing, i'm strangly still quite pumped to be going to my first almost fairdinkum footy game for the year (intraclubs dont quite count).

I cant quite bring myself to say "Go Tiges" though. ;)

cheers carlos.a very good summary and just about on the mark.

our backline is a bit of a worry but its only the wizzard cup altho entertaining the idea of having hall ANYWHERE in the backline for the coming season is what nightmare,s are made of.

goodluck with nth this year.keep that shinbonner spirit going!

cheers!

How dare you come onto our board and start mouthing off!! At least our team will be around in five years...

oh hang on..

It's another serve of Carlos' balanced outsider view with more than a bit of optimistic spin! Welcome back mate.:)

Good,balanced call Carlos.

tiges to deliver?

Well i too have some feelings for the Tiges!!!

Similar to Carlos there is a Tiger fan whom
is there threw thick and thin which is abit of a rarity!!

Beav the boy
i hope the Brown dog turns on a show tonite which
{ Would do justice to the great mans 17 ON HIS BACK!!}

Also would lift the spirits of Sparka in hospital!!!

ps-before you guys give me grief i worked
+ lived in Richmond for ten years
+ my local pub the Riverside INN was a second
home until burnt down!!!

like Norm in Cheers with a bar tab i could never pay!!!

Over + out
Digby

Well it was a mixed weekend for me. I wont bother mentioning my mob's disappointing effort, mainly because this is the Tiger's board and also we were poo!!

Nice start to the year for your boys. Was a great game to watch as a neutral (with a slight yellow and black slant) with your boys playing a much more attractive and purposful brand of footy.

Strangely, i hardly remember seeing Cogs (who is the main reason i come to watch your games) or Johno touching the footy, yet you still looked terrific out of the guts for most of the night?!?!

I'll get the obvious out of the way: Nathan. I sat next to The Boy Beav and a couple of other die-hard Tigs and when Nathan kicked his goal, it was fair dinkum mop and bucket time. You have never seen a bunch of grown men acting more like excited teenage girls in all your life!!

He was good though. I'm sure all you guys found his accurate and classy disposal and general smarts around the ground to be a refreshing change to some of the slop you've seen over the last few years. Look sliek the boy might need to do alot more fintess work before have the conditioning to go anything near 4 quarters on the nut. He looked knackered at some stages!

Morrison was also a huge addition. You've always had reasonable tall timber, but i loved the way this guy just kept presenting at CHF and providing a contest. Nice hands and looked good with the footy. Certainly not soft either. Could be a great get for your mob.

But for mine 2 of the more pleasing aspects were Fiora and Pettifer's performances.

Fiora was great across half back in the first half and his confidence to run with the agget and deliver it (with admittedly varying results) was a great sign.

And Pettifer was dynamic in the first half and didn't look as affraid as i've seen him (and laughed at) before. And its no coincidence it was out wide of the center line. Give him space, get the ball to him and you will get his best footy. But of course, Spud couldn't help himself and moved him forward and guess what? Yep, he drifted almost completely out of the game. When will he learn that Pettifer isn't a forward?!?!

I thought young Roach looked like he knew what the caper was all about. Moved beautifully and could use the ball well. Just needs to eat a bit and you definately look like you might have one there.

Liked the look of Weller also. Nice size and moved well and looked like he had a clue.

Marsh did a couple of ok things but didnt do a great deal to tell me he is a footballer.

Of the usuals, Zantuck was lively up forward and kept buttering up, Newman was his ever-reliable self, Kelleway was probably BOG for mine and Otto showed a few glimpses at CHF but was probably most servicable following the pill.

Chris Hyde and Billy Nicholls did nothing more to suggest to me that they can play football though.

Possible the most encouraging sign though was that you withstood the Bulldogs comeback, steadied and then kicked away again. If that was last year i think you would have lost that game, and by some margain.

Should be a good game next week against a very impressive St Kilda.

Originally posted by Carlos
Well it was a mixed weekend for me. I wont bother mentioning my mob's disappointing effort, mainly because this is the Tiger's board and also we were poo!!

Nice start to the year for your boys. Was a great game to watch as a neutral (with a slight yellow and black slant) with your boys playing a much more attractive and purposful brand of footy.

Strangely, i hardly remember seeing Cogs (who is the main reason i come to watch your games) or Johno touching the footy, yet you still looked terrific out of the guts for most of the night?!?!

I'll get the obvious out of the way: Nathan. I sat next to The Boy Beav and a couple of other die-hard Tigs and when Nathan kicked his goal, it was fair dinkum mop and bucket time. You have never seen a bunch of grown men acting more like excited teenage girls in all your life!!

He was good though. I'm sure all you guys found his accurate and classy disposal and general smarts around the ground to be a refreshing change to some of the slop you've seen over the last few years. Look sliek the boy might need to do alot more fintess work before have the conditioning to go anything near 4 quarters on the nut. He looked knackered at some stages!

Morrison was also a huge addition. You've always had reasonable tall timber, but i loved the way this guy just kept presenting at CHF and providing a contest. Nice hands and looked good with the footy. Certainly not soft either. Could be a great get for your mob.

But for mine 2 of the more pleasing aspects were Fiora and Pettifer's performances.

Fiora was great across half back in the first half and his confidence to run with the agget and deliver it (with admittedly varying results) was a great sign.

And Pettifer was dynamic in the first half and didn't look as affraid as i've seen him (and laughed at) before. And its no coincidence it was out wide of the center line. Give him space, get the ball to him and you will get his best footy. But of course, Spud couldn't help himself and moved him forward and guess what? Yep, he drifted almost completely out of the game. When will he learn that Pettifer isn't a forward?!?!

I thought young Roach looked like he knew what the caper was all about. Moved beautifully and could use the ball well. Just needs to eat a bit and you definately look like you might have one there.

Liked the look of Weller also. Nice size and moved well and looked like he had a clue.

Marsh did a couple of ok things but didnt do a great deal to tell me he is a footballer.

Of the usuals, Zantuck was lively up forward and kept buttering up, Newman was his ever-reliable self, Kelleway was probably BOG for mine and Otto showed a few glimpses at CHF but was probably most servicable following the pill.

Chris Hyde and Billy Nicholls did nothing more to suggest to me that they can play football though.

Possible the most encouraging sign though was that you withstood the Bulldogs comeback, steadied and then kicked away again. If that was last year i think you would have lost that game, and by some margain.

Should be a good game next week against a very impressive St Kilda.

Thanks for the wrap up carlos!!! Very informative as i wast able to go to the game but I too have heart palpiations watching browny's magnificent disposal skills. He must have a linkup with a US Satellite with the way he hits his targets. A lot of our boys will learn of him and the confidence will rub off.

Unfortunately, like most clubs (apart from Brisbane and maybe westcoast after the demolition job on the hapless pies) we have our fair share of ordinary players who couldnt be cut last year due to the the drafting rules. Im sure a few of them will be shown the door though at the end of this year.

Geez, could we possibly see a game this year where everything just "clicks" and we smash someone by 100 pts? Richo kicking 10 and browny five from midfield??? Quite a possibility this year.

I'M EXCITED!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back