Workshop Minimalist AFL logos

Remove this Banner Ad

The international ones are too complicated.

Aus: The shield
Eng: A lion head
RSA: The protea
Ind: really not sure
Pak: The star, remove the writing
WI: The shield
Sri: The lion head
Zim: The bird head
EB4qjDa.jpg

The trap most people are falling into with these, is that they are just taking the logo and trying to delete parts to "minimise" it. That simply will not work with every logo. Sometimes you have to find a way of representing the club without using any part of the logo.

Take the AFL for example - there is no way to minimise the Richmond logo. The head by itself is too complicated, and if you try to take out stripes it loses its shape. So what I would do for Richmond, is put yellow claw marks on a black background. For Port, a simple teal thunderbolt on a black background is perfect, even though its not really from their logo.

People need to think outside the box a bit more.

Had a go at the international cricket ones, happy with a couple of them, others not so much. India is pretty tough and mine doesn't really follow the two colour convention but it looks better than if it was just blue and saffron.
DiozsjS.png

Hello - is it OK with you guys if I put some of these up as pre-loaded avatars for BF members to choose from?

A thread on the sportslogos forums was posted relating to this:

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2013/3/14/nhl-logos-get-minimalist-treatment.html

It's ultra simplified, minimalist versions of the NHL team logos.

I thought it might be a bit of fun to have a crack at doing these for AFL teams, so I quickly knocked up a few of them

Trying to capture the essence of a club in as small amount of information as possible, while still keeping things sleek and beautiful.

I'm not happy with the Brisbane one as it's way too busy still.

Anyone else want to have a crack?

Here's what I've whipped up.

Minimalist AFL logos.

My attempt
View attachment 13837
Had trouble minimizing the "Port fist"
Added the beak to distinguish the hawk
Couldn't do much with the tigers, blues and eagle

View attachment 13838
Also swapped MFC with trident

And in no particular order, here is what I've done. I made a point of using only two colours per picture, which was difficult for teams like Footscray and St Kilda. I'm not particularly happy with the ones I've done for the Suns, Lions, Hawks or Swans. I guess I'll fix them up later. Our league doesn't have enough diversity in colours.

Im a real novice, but this thread really triggered me to come up with some ideas I rushed a few to get a full set.

Ive also split them out if people want to save them down seperately to use as avatars

EDIT: Just realised my north one is just a shitty version of the one done by Quadzilla - was trying to make them all at least a little different to what was in this thread already - and didnt notice that one (some ideas were hard to do differently because a previous idea posted was near perfection IMO). Also - I didnt stick to 2 tone as I think all club colours are relevant and help differentiate the teams.

Hello - is it OK with you guys if I put some of these up as pre-loaded avatars for BF members to choose from?
Yeah that's no worries at all .We don't really own the logos given they have existing elements from club logos so we couldn't really object if we wanted to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My God some logos are awful to simplify. The only ones I am truly happy with are the Gold Coast, St Kilda, and Geelong. Fremantles and the Giants are good too but I hardly did anything with them. Port I like the idea of making the logo into a square, but something seems a little off, and I feel I am so close with Hawthorns if it didn't look like it was sporting some sort of Joe Daniher mo. And for the crows I kinda wanted to mimic their old logo's colourful wings but it's impossible to polish...
upload_2018-3-22_11-58-57.png

Last edited:
My God some logos are awful to simplify. The only ones I am truly happy with are the Gold Coast, St Kilda, and Geelong. Fremantles and the Giants are good too but I hardly did anything with them. Port I like the idea of making the logo into a square, but something seems a little off, and I feel I am so close with Hawthorns if it didn't look like it was sporting some sort of Joe Daniher mo. And for the crows I kinda wanted to mimic their old logo's colourful wings but it's impossible to polish...

View attachment 472845

Geelong looks great.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 472845

Could you take the arm and fist out of the Power and use the pb's and the bolt?
I agree with the mo, get rid of it.

View attachment 472985

Shadowing looks awesome

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey guys
I was browsing AFL minimalist logos and only ones i find are the great work you guys do
Im trying to start a facebook page, with eventually opening a store (with AFL License hoepfully)
To set up I need logos as place holders , but I need a4 landscape
I know most logos are portrait and I haven got the skill to do anything even close
Wondering if anyone wants to have a crack, top 5 will get first run edition of my product
Its just a home business so I cannot afford a graphics guy
cheers
Brendan

Hey guys
I was browsing AFL minimalist logos and only ones i find are the great work you guys do
Im trying to start a facebook page, with eventually opening a store (with AFL License hoepfully)
To set up I need logos as place holders , but I need a4 landscape
I know most logos are portrait and I haven got the skill to do anything even close
Wondering if anyone wants to have a crack, top 5 will get first run edition of my product
Its just a home business so I cannot afford a graphics guy
cheers
Brendan

My apologies for being blunt about this - but basically your plan is to create counterfeit AFL merchandise using our designs, and seek for the AFL to license your counterfeit merchandise?

Not at all
Its just for the webpage mock up to present, no offence taken
No counterfeit at all

View attachment 472985[/i think these look great. Can I use them in an iPhone app I’m developing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back